SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P239 40 to 9mm barrel swap
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P239 40 to 9mm barrel swap Login/Join 
posted
First of all: Happy 2018 and thank you for reading and responding to my post.
Called Sig today to inquire as to when the P239 9mm barrels will be back in stock. The response I got from the customer service rep is “soon”!

Then we discussed swapping the 9mm barrel with my current .40. With the utmost confidence in the world, I was assured this is impossible and was told the only way is with an action kit (slide/barrel/recoil spring) which Sig does not make for the P239. Is the customer rep blowing smoke up my barrel? If so, can someone recommend another source for a barrel. I understand I will have to buy the 9mm mags as the .40 & .357 are not interchangeable with the 9mm.
For those of you asking why I would go from .40 to a 9; because of my source of 9mm brass and reloads. As a carry, the P239 will be back with the .40 barrel.

Happy New Year

Sig 1911 .45 ACP Scorpion
Sig P239 SAS .40
Sig P320 Carry 9mm
Sig P938 9mm
CZ P-10C 9mm
S&W Victory .22
M&P Full size .40/9mm
Ruger SR .22

Posts: 15 | Registered: February 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Swap Sig barrel. Shoot gun.

Get a 9mm spring if you want. Cheap.

9mm shoots fine in the .40 mags. .357 is where you run into issues with mags.

Top Gun Supply has threaded barrels in stock for $200. No regular ones tho.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Unofficially you can install a factory 9mm barrel in your P239-40. I first did it as an intellectual exercise following a question posted here. I measured both 40 amd 9mm barrels and found them the same except for the barrel hood. I tried the swap using live ammunition and found it did not explode in my hand and the experience was quite satisfactory. I wrote here about my conversion and others have done the same. It works. But do not expect SIG to condone the conversion because it is not perfect. I only use it at the shooting range. You don't even need 9mm magazines and, in fact, I don't suggest using them because they are a loose fit. 40 mags work and 357 mags may work even better. So carry on as you wish.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thnks for the input and quick response.

Sig P239 SAS .40
Sig P320 Carry 9mm
Sig P938 9mm
CZ P-10C 9mm
S&W Victory .22
M&P Full size .40/9mm
Ruger SR .22

posted Hide Post
Per GaryBF, there is no problem using the SIg OEM 9mm barrel in the P239 .40. About a dozen others on the forum, including me, have done it with no problems regarding functionality or safety. There are a LOT of older threads that discussed this.

My "converted" 9mm also uses BOTH Sig 9mm AND .40 mags with no functioning issues.

I also use the defunct Sig "Plus 1" mag kits for both calibers. Sig marketed them for use in the .40 mags ONLY. Somebody forgot to tell the 9mm mags, since they are just fine with the .40 kits.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Count me in among those who have experienced excellent operation just swapping barrels. My 9 mm barrel is a Barsto, but gets good results. 357 Sig mags work perfectly.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
Like many other Forum members here, I have been running a factory 9MM barrel in my 357SIG 239s for MANY years.

Since I do prefer 357SIG to 9MM, I probably have put only a thousand or so rounds of 9MM downrange with the P239

My factory barrel happens to be threaded so most of the ammunition I have shot was through the suppressor.

I never changed the spring and I never bought 9MM magazines, the ones that came with my P239s work just fine

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I swapped out a 357Sig with an OEM 9mm barrel.
Worked fine for me.

Limp wristing the pistol will require a 9mm recoil spring.

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input! I was aware this issue had been discussed many times and I appreciate your confidence and support. I wanted to highlight what the Sig Customer Service Rep said and told me it was impossible! I know they cant endorse people from modifying their handgun, but they make a pretty penny doing what we all do at home!

Happy 2018!

Sig P239 SAS .40
Sig P320 Carry 9mm
Sig P938 9mm
CZ P-10C 9mm
S&W Victory .22
M&P Full size .40/9mm
Ruger SR .22

posted Hide Post
May I add after reading all of the favorBle posts; NO THE P239 IS NOT DEAD!

Sig P239 SAS .40
Sig P320 Carry 9mm
Sig P938 9mm
CZ P-10C 9mm
S&W Victory .22
M&P Full size .40/9mm
Ruger SR .22

Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I bought my P239 as a .357 Sig, bought a .40 S&W barrel and converted it successfully (with the barrel and magazines), then purchased a 9mm factory barrel and recoil spring. As a 9mm, my P239 has functioned 100% with .40 S&W and .357 Sig magazines and is probably more accurate in this configuration than the others. Couldn't be happier!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many of us on this site have used Sig barrels for this P239. Mine in 40 s&w with .357 Sig & 9mm barrels.

Posts: 361 | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How are the sights when shooting 9mm from an original .40?

Posts: 267 | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
The difference in POI is almost negligible unless you go beyond 25 yards. You could find a compromise sight set if you really felt it necessary.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post