SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Who makes the most reliable .22LR semi-auto pistol (that's not a Buckmark or Mark style)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who makes the most reliable .22LR semi-auto pistol (that's not a Buckmark or Mark style) Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
Curious what 22 pistol is reliable that is styled like a 1911 or Sig/Glock type pistol.

I know the Buckmark and Mark pistols are good options in their own design, but I was curious about guns that are somewhat similar to what I would actually carry.

A friend has a G44 and I have yet to try it when it was working reliably. We only had one type of bulk ammo at the time and it didn't like them.

Posts: 17884 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
CZ Kadet by a wide margin in my experience. I mean it’s no Ruger MKx but for all the “real gun” feeling options it’s about the best I’ve experienced.

You’d think I would own one by now. Frown

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What do you carry? Ceiner and Marvel both make 22 conversions that are high quality. I've played with a Sig P220 22 pistol, it worked well. The Ruger SR 22 is very similar to a couple of Ruger 9mm carry pistols, as well as the Walther 380.

Posts: 17141 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Advantage Arms .22LR conversion.

Mrs. Flash shoots one on a regular basis as it's exactly the same trigger as her carry gun.

http://www.advantagearms.com/m...tegory_Code=FitTable

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
My Beretta cheetah/Model 87 is probably the closest I can think of to meet those requirements. The SR22 is a nice gun, but a bit smaller/lighter. 1911 style, we like our little Beretta Model 70. I’m sure the CZ is nice too, CZ always makes a great firearm I just do not know that one.

I did pick up a Taurus TX22 so had a larger full sized gun in .22 but too early. Need to get 1000 rounds or more through it before commenting on reliability. There are also .22 conversion kits for different pistols to .22 and maybe that is an option.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own a Marvel One unit that offers outstanding accuracy. However, spectacularly reliable it is not.

Two other possibilities you might consider are a Smith and Wesson Model 41 and a High Standard. The Model 41's can be pretty ammo sensitive and some of the newer ones seem to have QC issues, but if you get an older one and find ammo it likes, they are a great gun and superbly accurate.

I own a High Standard that has been almost 100% reliable and has an exceptional trigger and again outstanding accuracy. However, my understanding is that these can be somewhat sensitive to the mag you use. But of the multiple .22 pistols that I own, I would have to say this is my favorite. And, depending on the exact model, and the condition, you can sometimes find them for $450-600.

Posts: 541 | Location: Gunnison, CO | Registered: March 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
What do you carry? Ceiner and Marvel both make 22 conversions that are high quality. I've played with a Sig P220 22 pistol, it worked well. The Ruger SR 22 is very similar to a couple of Ruger 9mm carry pistols, as well as the Walther 380.

I was thinking similar to my P229 although the P365 sees more carry time.

Posts: 17884 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well to make it similar you just put the sig .22lr top end kit on your 229. The sig kit is not particularly reliable, but it works well enough and you get the same trigger holster etc. After that you are in no man's land to your original post. The reliable guns are all on something else for a base architecture. The top of the line reliability is found in things like the buckmark, victory and ruger that you don't want. There are of course lots of other .22's with good reliability outside those (like the S&W41 and beretta, but for way more money). If 1911 style is OK then the marvel kit is top notch but a step below the Ruger et al. The AA kit for glock the same, but even worse than the marvel kit overall. The G44 is lower actually than the AA kit, and not much different than the sig conversion, but the differences at that point are minor.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Walther P22 love it! But it’s only reliable with mini mags... My buddy has a M&P 22 and it has not had any hiccups with any ammo he has tried and he shoots it a lot!

Posts: 120 | Location: Locust Grove, Virginia | Registered: November 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are countless older guns super reliable ( my colt challenger 70 years old runs like a top)
In current production guns I am very happy with my S&W victory.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
My S&W M&Pc .22lr has been wonderful. I’m very happy with it.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JBird679
posted Hide Post
The Walther PPQ 22lr (NOT P22Q!) is incredibly fun to shoot, and very reliable. It’s a full size grip and comes standard with a threaded barrel, and putting a Game Changer comp on makes it the bee’s knees.

My Ruger SR22 has also been incredibly reliable, and the Wingman +5 bumpers make the grip a little closer to a full size.

Posts: 987 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: March 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
My .22 LR Beretta 87 Target is completely reliable with every ammo I’ve tried, but it’s not “styled like a 1911 or Sig/Glock type pistol”. But the Browning 1911-22 certainly is:

www.browning.com/products/fire...rent-production.html

I’ve no experience with it, but the reviews are pretty good.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8941 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+1 on the Beretta 87. Flawless with any ammo and incredibly well crafted, and just a beautiful looking pistol, as the whole cheetah fleet is. And a price to match around $900.

Posts: 263 | Registered: January 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A 100% reliable across ALL brands of .22LR ammo, semi-auto pistol is a unicorn in my book. But some designs are definitely better than others. I would put my M&P22C right up there. My 87 Target is close, but it's not really a design that's built like a 'service-style' pistol. My Ruger SR22 is also in that discussion as well. I know of a CZ Kadet pistol that's also been one sweetheart of a reliable shooter. I wish that one was mine, but alas I'll probably never will be able to pry that one away from its proud owner. My Bersa Thunder 22 has shown itself to be very reliable, as long as the proper cleaning products are used (i.e., keep well away from Froglube). It's downside is that the slide metal used is awfully soft; it actually dents on impact. Found that out the hard way (no pun intended).

-MG

Posts: 1984 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is so easy you should have just called me. Beretta 87. I have that and the 87 Target. Don’t waste your time or money on the Target version. It is SAO and the trigger isn’t special. It’s only Target quality is adjustable sights and weight out front. My 87 has 10’s of thousands of assorted cheap bulk pack through it. It is easily considered 100% reliable unless you get a case without primer compound around the rim.

My very close second is CZ Kadet (the steel original ones) on frame of your choice.

Both operate like real guns but the Beretta does it even better. Save your pennies buy Beretta 87. Never look back or suffer regret. Guaranteed.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ll agree with the suggestions for a CZ Kadet or Beretta 87. Mine have been great.

This is a full Kadet, not a drop-in conversion kit.

I don’t know if it fits your criteria but I’ll also suggest a S&W Model 41. It looks vaguely 1911y. The one I have set up for a suppressor is by far my favorite gun to shoot out of about 100. I actually just got a second one last week.

============================================
Photographs: https://photobucket.com/u/photoman12001
-----------------------------------
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/photoman12001/
-----------------------------------
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/photoman12001/videos

Posts: 1741 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
The S&W 422 is the most stop proof 22 pistol I have ever encountered. I fired several hundred old longs and long rifle rounds through one. The stuff was so old that it had copper cases and white powdery bullets. Unstoppable! The S&W M&P Compact is fun to shoot. The S&W 41 is legendary.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post

Pic from the internet, but I have one just like it...actually two

Ruger 22/45 with a tactical solutions pac-lite barrel(before Ruger started using the light barrels)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MikeinNC,

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
Volquartsen Scorpion is what you want

________,_____________________________
*** Wanna make everything electric? Start with the border wall.

We all live for a little while and then die sooner than we planned.
Your way
or
YAHWEH

Posts: 1307 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post