SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Classic P229 w/Bar-Sto 9mm Conversion Barrel
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Classic P229 w/Bar-Sto 9mm Conversion Barrel Login/Join 
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted
Instead of going with a full conversion kit, I've decided on a Bar-Sto .357 Sig-to-9mm semi-fit conversion barrel.

Most everyone I've talked to said that it should fit and run smoothly without additional work. But I have two questions:

1. Is there a consensus on whether the POI is higher or lower enough to require changing out the front or rear sight, or is the difference small enough to just compensate my sighting?

2. Can I still use my .357 Sig recoil spring, or do I really need to pick up a 9mm spring?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: snoris,

Posts: 4493 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snoris:
I have a P229, Serial AF23xxx and would like to get a 9mm slide assembly for it. Which 9mm magazines will fit best in the magazine well?

229-1 will.

But, if you're in a bind, the P228/ old P229 (9) mag will work as well. A little loose, but works. Not recommended for anything other than range use by many.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
I'm looking to use it for duty, so probably use the .40/.357 mags?

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm looking to use it for duty, so probably use the .40/.357 mags?

I can't tell you if the .40/.357 mag will work. Someone here should know. But, if you're using it for duty (life on the line), why take a chance, even if it works? Get the mag designed for the 9mm (229-1).

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Definitely the P229-1 magazine.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Does it make a difference that my frame was made is Germany? I've heard that the conversion kit slide is picky about where it sits.

posted Hide Post
No. But I've found frame/slide fit can be a bit hit or miss when doing this.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does it make a difference that my frame was made is Germany? I've heard that the conversion kit slide is picky about where it sits.

I thought that there were different conversion kits for German and U.S. made P229 frame.

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
No sight change should be needed, however, it is your responsibilty to test the conversion and decide for yourself.

The 357/40 recoil spring may work, but why take the chance? Buy a 9mm recoil spring. You stated earlier that this conversion was for duty use, so you are responsible for proper function.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a P226 40 with Barsto 9mm barrel. Shoots fine and I didn't change anything. I do use 9mm mags.

Posts: 568 | Location: Beaumont TX | Registered: March 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The angle of the followers are different. Some 9mm rounds, depending on the bullet profile will not feed properly a 100% with the 40S&W mags. I ran into this with my Barsto conversion barrel. I picked up 15 round nickel mags from Greg Cote and they work fine, no rattle and drop free when released. I went with nickel so I could easily associate the mags with the Barsto barrel. Both are shiny all over. Big Grin Here is the part as listed on his site.

Sig Sauer P228 P229 9mm 15 RD flush fit nickel Mec-Gar MGP22815N

-TVz

Posts: 428 | Location: North of DFW | Registered: May 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I have a P229 in 40/357 and a semi fit barsto 9 mm barrel. It is ser AH 14 xxx ( purchase Nov 1998) so I use P228 9 mm mags. It works just fine with the 40/357 recoil spring. However being semi fit I would not trust it for carry.

If I wanted to carry it I would go with a custom fit barsto and a 9mm recoil spring, to make sure the slide locks back on last round.

Posts: 118 | Location: Hampton, VA / Salvo, NC | Registered: June 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post