SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig p228 Nickle triple s/n question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig p228 Nickle triple s/n question Login/Join 
posted
Question for the experts on this site.
I picked up a MINT P228 Nickle 3x s/n with a KE date code.

And NO....there was no cardboard sleeve with the box.....so I know I cannot prove it is a factory nickle gun ( looks good - guide rod nickle etc - 2 nickel mags - not in photo below)

So my question is Did Sig make ANY factory nickel P228's with a KE date code ? Lastly what is this pistol worth ? Many thanks Cool

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

Posts: 179 | Registered: September 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Looks legit to me (owner of several Nickels).

SIG made two tone and full factory Nickels during that timeframe.

More accurately, they had Klein Plating do the work here in the US for them. Hence the cause for them being stamped "Nickel" on the outer box only and there being no indication anywhere else.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, looks legit from the one photo.

Congrats, that's a grail gun for many.

Might try calling Sig, they confirmed a 226 for me once.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Sure, that could be a factory nickle gun. Enjoy it.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
When I picked up a P225 and a P226 in nickel, a call to Sig confirmed they were factory. Might want to give them a call. Very nice score.

Posts: 5297 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the input and info !!

I just called "Bill" at Sig Sauer who told me the year my gun was made (already knew that) but he said there is no way for him to tell if the gun was factory nickel from the factory...

He suggested I contact Sig Germany Hmmmmm Eek

So, any other ideas ?

posted Hide Post
Germany wouldn't know, since the weapon was Nickeled in the States.

Bill was just lazy and didn't want to look in the old data base. It's there, they confirmed 2 for me years ago.

Bought a 239 magazine for $10, got banned for free.
posted Hide Post
Klein Plating turned in their FFL and all records years ago to the Feds. Don't think they no longer plate firearms. Not politically correct these days. But about 3 years ago I contacted Sig USA about 2 of my Sigs to confirm if they were factory nickel. I received a hand written note on their letterhead that said both left the factory blue. But wait-all German Sigs left the factory blue that were plated by Klien in the USA. So there we have what is called a conondrum. Also many Sig owners had their Sigs plated by Klien after purchase so what would be the difference? Same as a so-called factory nickel. That being said is their really such a thing as Sig factory nickel as in that time frame the factory did not nickel plate their guns. Here is a thought while we are on the subject. One can have a rubber stamp made up for about 10 dollars that can spell anything if you get my drift. Also the OP's 228 looks just like mine. Factory Nickel? If it looks righteous then it must be. Enjoy. One last comment-I think the OP's 228 is worth at least 1000 to 1500 dollars. JM2CW

Posts: 279 | Location: West TN | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Bill was just lazy and didn't want to look in the old data base. It's there, they confirmed 2 for me years ago.

Either that, or he just has no authorized access.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by black1970:
Klein Plating turned in their FFL and all records years ago to the Feds. Don't think they no longer plate firearms. Not politically correct these days. But about 3 years ago I contacted Sig USA about 2 of my Sigs to confirm if they were factory nickel. I received a hand written note on their letterhead that said both left the factory blue. But wait-all German Sigs left the factory blue that were plated by Klien in the USA. So there we have what is called a conondrum. Also many Sig owners had their Sigs plated by Klien after purchase so what would be the difference? Same as a so-called factory nickel. That being said is their really such a thing as Sig factory nickel as in that time frame the factory did not nickel plate their guns. Here is a thought while we are on the subject. One can have a rubber stamp made up for about 10 dollars that can spell anything if you get my drift. Also the OP's 228 looks just like mine. Factory Nickel? If it looks righteous then it must be. Enjoy. One last comment-I think the OP's 228 is worth at least 1000 to 1500 dollars. JM2CW

There is no conundrum. SIG didn't, and still doesn't, do any nickel plating in house. They contracted with a finisher/refinisher du jour to do the job.
-If the written letter said the gun was blued, then it originally went on the market as factory blued, i.e., not factory Ni.
-For those guns that SIG had someone (like Klein) Ni plated, and subsequently released on the market, then they were officially factory release Ni guns. So, if you have such a gun that needs verification because you have no original labeled box, SIG will do so in writing. That is, if they choose to do so, or if you have some insider contact who has access to the old database.

For those who sent their blued guns in for Ni plating by Klein at the time, the guns are still originally factory blued. Yes, they look great and identical to the factory Ni guns, but they are still originally blued. I know this matters little to most folks, but it is an important point to the collector.

Making your own "NICKEL" rubber stamp? Why? What's the point? Either you will be trying to deceive folks, or you just try to make yourself feel good about your gun?

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bought a 239 magazine for $10, got banned for free.
posted Hide Post
12131-didn't say that I was going to fool folks, just said it could be done and what's more I'm sure it has. However I have gleaned much info about Sigs from your posts and replies. I suspect that you are the most knowledgable member here on the subject. Please forgive me on my incorrect post. I'm just an old country boy down in West TN trying to learn and do the best I can. By the way-I am NOT black-my 1970 Chevelle is.

SSG Ret.
TN & TX ARNG
66-06
SCV

Posts: 279 | Location: West TN | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by black1970:
12131-didn't say that I was going to fool folks, just said it could be done and what's more I'm sure it has. However I have gleaned much info about Sigs from your posts and replies. I suspect that you are the most knowledgable member here on the subject. Please forgive me on my incorrect post. I'm just an old country boy down in West TN trying to learn and do the best I can. By the way-I am NOT black-my 1970 Chevelle is.

SSG Ret.
TN & TX ARNG
66-06
SCV

Oh no, I didn't mean to refer to you, in that statement. Just a general statement about folks who would make a "NICKEL" rubber stamp for a unverified Ni SIG. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Anyway, the more I learn, the more I realize I don't know much of anything. So, I learn more. Smile

Q

posted Hide Post
You have a Nickel, love it and be happy - don't turn them into the poor S&W revolvers that are only handled with white gloves and never see daylight.

Years ago a member posted his 2 P220 Nickels. One from the "factory" (ie SIG sent it Klein, who sent it back, then sold it) and one he purchased as blued, experience finish issues, then sent it to Klein, who refinished it and sent to back.

Zero difference, other than someones rubber stamp on a box, which some will pay for. Assuming the SIG employee remember to stamp / write in / whatever on the box.

Shoot it and enjoy it. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
You have a Nickel, love it and be happy - don't turn them into the poor S&W revolvers that are only handled with white gloves and never see daylight.

Years ago a member posted his 2 P220 Nickels. One from the "factory" (ie SIG sent it Klein, who sent it back, then sold it) and one he purchased as blued, experience finish issues, then sent it to Klein, who refinished it and sent to back.

Zero difference, other than someones rubber stamp on a box, which some will pay for. Assuming the SIG employee remember to stamp / write in / whatever on the box.

Shoot it and enjoy it. Big Grin

Good advice sir, thanks ! And thanks to all for the info. Smile