SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    How about a Colt Trooper Mk III .357?

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
How about a Colt Trooper Mk III .357? Login/Join 
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted
I was at my LGS today and was called to the back room. there was an open rifle case with a bunch of pistols from someone's collection. My eyes went directly to a Colt. I picked it up and looked it over. I made an offer that was accepted. How did I do for six bones? I ran the serial number on the Colt data base and it looks to be a 1960 model. There are a couple of light scratches in the bluing on the barrel on the side not shown. other than that, it looks mint. hardly any line on the cylinder out side or on the strap. What do you Colt aficionados think, did I do ok?

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Report This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
Great gun. I would be all over it at $600.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Report This Post
Picture of 00464b
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Green Highlander:
Great gun. I would be all over it at $600.

Ditto. I had one back in the 70's. Miss it to this day.

Posts: 658 | Location: SE Wisconsin | Registered: July 31, 2014Report This Post
King of Goodness
Picture of varoadking
posted Hide Post
I like the Trooper. I've had a 4" in .357 and another in .22 Magnum for a number of years.

Posts: 6699 | Location: Dixie | Registered: February 10, 2003Report This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
If memory serves, the Trooper Mk III didn't come out until around 1970. It was an improved design that required less hand fitting than the earlier Troopers which were built on the same lockwork design as the Official Police & Python.

http://www.proofhouse.com/colt/index.html

Nice gun.

ETA: link to Proofhouse.com serial number range and dates for Mk III Colt revolvers

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Report This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
My BIL has a 4" .357 that I covet. Sad that he's not much of a gun guy (ex Marine officer too) and it just sits in a safe.

Since my Sister is a flaming liberal like her Mom we don't have much of a relationship so I don't think I'll ever have a shot at it though I have told him if he ever feels the need to sell it I'd like a shot at it.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12930 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Report This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
I had the identical gun, got it cheap from an individual liquidating his father's stuff several years ago, around $350 IIRC. Sold it for $500 IIRC when divested myself of all the Colts.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1857 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Report This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I gave my brother a MKV.

Damn near indestructible.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I posted these same pictures on one of the Ruger forums yesterday. They have a Trooper thread there.
I bought this Trooper III which is the 22 mag in the mid 70’s. It’s NIB still unfired accept for the factory test firing. I have the box wrapped in newspaper and carefully stored. It has everything that came with the gun. I had worked at a gun shop in S.FL and we were a Colt distributor.

This Diamondback is a 22LR that like the Trooper is NIB and unfired. They have been put away so long I forgot I put Pachmayr’s on it but I have the factory original grips for it.

I had a 4” Blued 22LR D.B. and a 4” blued 38 spl D.B. I sold or traded off.
That was before Colts became gold.

*** A Proud NRA Benefactor Member***

Posts: 212 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 07, 2014Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Great gun and decent price.

Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I inherited this one from my Dad after his passing. Very good shooting gun and felt well balanced, though I still prefer the python, the Trooper is a great .357 Colt.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Report This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Very nice Colt to add to your collection and $600 is a great price to snag that beauty.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
Six hundred is a good price for that gun. You'll never wear it out. Congrats. Smile

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2745 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
This was a great buy.

Scouts Out

posted Hide Post
First firearm I purchased many years ago. I foolishly sold it several years later. Makes me sick to look back.

Posts: 521 | Location: maryland | Registered: February 16, 2013Report This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I gave one to a cousin last summer. Just not for me. Now, a Model 27, on the other hand,.....

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
You did great, sir!!! Love those things.

Posts: 1699 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 07, 2004Report This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Nice find Tommy and it seems like a good price compared to most I see any more.

I just checked on the link Arfmel gave and found under MK III my L74*** is 1977 vintage.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Report This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I pick it up tomorrow morning after 0900. I was one of those estate deals, so there was a 15 day hold. I ended up going back and picking up a S&W 629 with an 8 3/8th barrel, about 85 vintage. Pre Lock! It also looks barely shot. I pick it up tomorrow. I bought a similar 629 new in 88 or 89.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Report This Post