SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P220 10rd ProMag Question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P220 10rd ProMag Question Login/Join 
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted
I know ProMag has had a questionable reputation by members on here at lease ever since I joined.
I'd stayed away based on those opinions.
Question, is it wrong to assume that a company may have improved their product over time?
I ask as I've not heard anything about their P220 10rd mags Larry.
I was given one a couple years ago.
It's worked fine but I've not used it more than a couple times so it's not enough to really form an opinion.

So does anyone have any current experience with any of their current offerings?!?

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyBiker:
So does anyone have any current experience with any of their current offerings?!

I haven't, but next I pass the trash can at the range, I'll try and pick up a few.

Posts: 263 | Location: Weatherford, TX | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cndrdk:

I haven't, but next I pass the trash can at the range, I'll try and pick up a few.

Big Grin

I did talk with a new shooter at the range a while back when he was having issues with a new gun. He’d bought several ProMags; we tracked the failures back to those mags. Ran fine with the OEM mags, wasn’t a P220, but still.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
I received two of those exact mags in the same packaging as a "throw in" in a trade a couple of years ago. My 220 has been flawlessly reliable over the course of the past 14 years. I tried the PM's in this gun and found them to be totally unreliable - sometimes functional, sometimes not. I literally threw them in the trash as a result of this experience. As always, past performance is no guarantee of future results....except in the case of ProMags, IMO.

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great range mags. Perfect for practicing malfunction clearing.

God, Guns, and Guts made this country....let's keep all three

Posts: 495 | Location: TX | Registered: March 09, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it matters these are all junk. FWIW.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Personally, I would not purchase anything ProMag. I am puzzled how these guys stay in business? Do they manufacture something that works? It's hard to believe that so many buy enough of their stuff to keep them in business??
Anyone know if they make any reputable products?

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I stopped reading at Promag. No.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
FWIW: I had some 1911 mags years ago for an old norinco. They worked fine. Over the years I have tried some of their double stack offerings. None of them were ever reliable. I eventually gave up on them totally.

Wasn’t there a member years ago that was working directly with promag on getting some reliable P225/P6 mags?

Posts: 6289 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
You can find a lot of on line reviews of their magazines. A manufacturer can improve their quality if their products do not sell and they hear what their customers say. FWIW, I've been employed in the magazine making industry years back. We made many a thousand magazines for brand name gun companies. The only real quality issues I saw were the Ruger auto pistol magazines intended for LE or Export. Precision die sets which blank the magazine tubes, in their flat pattern state, can be run on any companies punch presses. Its hard to make a mistake with die sets. Followers, springs, retainers and bases need to be repeat quality to produce a good magazine. Quality flat stock in the beginning is required. Give them a try. You may be surprised if they work well.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Honestly, lean forward and choke yourself Grumpy.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never saw one work; never looked back. We're talking life support equipment; the heart and soul of handgun reliability lies in the magazines. Nothing but Sig and Mecgars for my 220s; 20+yrs of service with not one failure.

The Promag sucked as a paperweight as well. I tried it as a door stop and it failed at that too.

Semper Fi
Madmatt

SIGs, BHPs, CZ PCRs, HKs, 1911s, S&W 625-3 45 ACP, HK/Benelli M1S90, Colts 6721/LE6920, Steyr SBSs, Emerson and ZT Knives, Rubicons, Harleys & APBTs

Posts: 416 | Location: USA | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hhaha, the comment "next time I pass the garbage can at the range" made me laugh. Got a 10 round Promag with a used P220 purchase. It jammed every 2nd round. Otherwise the pistol was flawless. Tossed it into the trash at the range.

I have "heard" that the Promag drums for Saiga shotguns are reliable. Shocked me to hear it, stories like mine are more common.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found a killer deal on a P225 Classic GOTM. The only flaw: The magazine included with the gun was ProMag.
I tried it anyway. Non-functional.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
OP, I'd use what you have several more times before deciding to buy more mags from the same company. They've earned their reputation by consistent...well, it's not performance.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Just heard someone arguing about Promag problems and one fellow said something about changing the follower (because of shorter length than Sig OEM) and it fixed his problem.

I just stick with Sig mags. Never had any problems that way. Even the used ones work great.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used the single stack 10 rounders with some success. I have them for the P938 and P290rs with no issues. I have also experienced the problems others have mentioned with other ProMags.

Posts: 101 | Registered: July 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never heard anything positive about them for any pistol, but have heard a lot of negative. I'm sure they would work great for training mags, just make sure you mark them so they don't get mixed in with others.

I have heard good things about ACT mags for the 220 in 45 though. Wish they would make some for the 10mm as I can't find those mags anywhere.

Posts: 177 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 3 of them; 1 came with a P220 and the other 2 I bought off EBay,
NONE of them work. I have not been able to feed even 1 magazine through w/o improper feeding.
One of them fits so tightly I have to slam it into the mag-well.
I don't even use them for range magazines.

Posts: 35 | Registered: October 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Load 'em up; use 'em for door stops.

Posts: 9002 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post