SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What to carry ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to carry ? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Stradman

If you like the ergonomics of the P225 A1 but want more capacity look at a CPO Sig P228 or P229 in 9mm.

James

We the unappreciated
must do the unimaginable
and see the unthinkable
to protect the ungrateful

Posts: 801 | Registered: March 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
The main thing behind either type of pistol you decide to carry is their reliability.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I think carrying a 225 sized gun is a little more convenient. Weight is near the same with a lot more ammo in the G19 vs 225 and the 225 is still heavier. If size doesn't matter due to you working in your own business I'd go with the Glock (damn that hurts to actually type). If you like the ergos of the 225, have you tried a 229? 15-17 round mags, same manual of arms as 225, little more heft to it so it's a softer shooter. I love both and carry both. IF choice is between 19 and 225, go with the 19 as much as it pains me to say it.

I think you are pretty OK with 17 rounds in the 225 plus spare mag personally. I often don't carry a spare mag. It's all a trade off, capacity vs comfort. Figure out what is more important to you and use whatever fits best combination of capacity and comfort.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I’d look at the HK P30, and the Beretta PX4 Storm compact and subcompact. The subcompact PX4 is my favorite. 13+1 but spare mag is a 17 round full size mag with Beretta sleeve for full grip. Gives me 31 rounds in a small subcompact pistol that offers a full grip with OEM snap grips. If you like the G19 size but want to go back to a hammer the P30 or PX4 compact would be excellent. Both are polymer and high capacity.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
For me Glock wins because its polymer, lightweight, and super easy for this neanderthal to maintain. I can take it completely apart down to the last part, inspect and clean everything, and put it back together in 5 minutes. Its a genius design, with so few parts, so easy to maintain, and so reliable.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
Probably not a popular belief, but IMO the 225, 239 or 220 (with or without an extra mag) will likely provide one with enough opportunity to safely defend or extracate oneself from a potential threat.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aside from round capacity, weight and size, for me the determining factor is” how accurate are you, and how familiar are you with the manual of arms of the gun”.
I own Glocks, gen3s, gen4 and gen5. They are comfortable to shoot, but as much as I try, I can’t get tight groups at 7, 10 or 15 yards. Yet with my 225, 225A1, and 239s I shoot tight groups even out to 25yrds. What is more, both the 225A1 and the 239 are very comfortable to shoot!
Under a self defence situation,while filled with tension and confusion, I would rather be accurate with 2 or 3 rounds, than make a lot of noise with 15 round that miss their mark.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
I carry a P230 or P238 along with a North American Arms 22lr. as back up. Been doing this for about 10 yrs. It works for me.

Posts: 5300 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I think carrying a 225 sized gun is a little more convenient. Weight is near the same with a lot more ammo in the G19 vs 225 and the 225 is still heavier. If size doesn't matter due to you working in your own business I'd go with the Glock (damn that hurts to actually type). If you like the ergos of the 225, have you tried a 229? 15-17 round mags, same manual of arms as 225, little more heft to it so it's a softer shooter. I love both and carry both. IF choice is between 19 and 225, go with the 19 as much as it pains me to say it.

I think you are pretty OK with 17 rounds in the 225 plus spare mag personally. I often don't carry a spare mag. It's all a trade off, capacity vs comfort. Figure out what is more important to you and use whatever fits best combination of capacity and comfort.

I too am uncomfortable with the G word, as I dont care for Polymer or striker fired pistols, and I find in practice that I am most accurate with single stack pistols(all pretty pistols as well), so a P225-A1, Kahr K9, Beretta 85, and Sig P230 are all pistols that conceal well and shoot well, and with an extra magazine I am carrying 15-18 rounds, or approx 4 times as many rounds used in an average defensive shooting. Go with what you are most comfortable with that you are committed to carry and can practice shooting 3-5 rounds center mass from a draw relatively quickly. And regardless of single or double stack, always carry an extra mag

Posts: 263 | Registered: January 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started carrying about ten years ago with a P229, went to a Sig compact stainless 1911, now (for the last couple months) have been using an XDS 9mm. All have had custom leather from top makers and a belt made by Armour belts. I never was into plastic and no safety, when I decided to go plastic, I went XDs for the added grip safety. Currently carry in a OS Pro w/break made by HBE leather. As of now it would take something really special for me to change...I spend most of my time in the rural area or what most would consider a very small city, 22,000 people.

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
I've always felt that you should carry what is comfortable for you and that you are proficient with.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post