SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What to carry ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to carry ? Login/Join 
posted
Hey everyone
I have been a concealed carrier for about 17 years. Currently I’m carrying a glock 19 but have wanted to go back to my p225-A1. My concern is capacity. I train and shoot both well and carry a spare mag. Would like opinions from experienced carriers as to what they carry and why
Thanks in advance

Posts: 32 | Registered: January 07, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
There's nothing inherently wrong with carrying a single stack handgun. It just means you will have to be willing to devote a little more time in training.

Practice your reloads. Train for different types of reloads. Think about your reloading tactics. Carry enough spare ammo.

(All of the above is true no matter what type of gun you carry, but is slightly more important if carrying a lower capacity single stack gun.)

For a well-trained individual, the difference in time between firing a string with a 15 round magazine and firing a string with two 8 round magazines can be minimal.

I started my LE career carrying a Sig P220 single stack. My off duty gun was a S&W 3913 single stack. I've since transitioned to double-stack duty and off duty guns. But I wouldn't feel undergunned if I were to go back to single stacks.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
If you train, shoot both well, and can conceal a G19 then carry a G19.

If you prefer the P225 due to it's smaller size and it ensures you carry more often, carry the P225.

Honestly, the guns don't care one way or the other.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
its up to you,

we don't know where you go , when you go there or who you go with under what circumstances.

we don't know how good your situational awareness skills are,

we don't know if you are a ninja warrior or severely limited physically .

you may as well ask, how long will your grand kids will live.

then there are the mental aspects and legal aspects

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54604 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I did this dance about 10 years ago and was looking at a P239 vs a G19/G26. FOR ME, and this will vary, for me the Glock won due to capacity and ergos. I didn't shoot the P239 quite as well, I struggled to get a good purchase on the skinnier grip. Between that, and the larger capacity of the Glock, it was a no brainer for me.

What is pushing you to go back to the 225? I feel like there's a detail missing here.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9683 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I always want to carry a sexy metal gun too but practicality usually wins out with a plastic striker fired pistol.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
I always want to carry a sexy metal gun too but practicality usually wins out with a plastic striker fired pistol.

Sure, that sounds good. But what are you going to do when you need a boat anchor?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your response’s. I live in the country, am a self employed business owner who’s store is in the burbs, I practice situational awareness all the time as to my levels competency is anyone’s guess.my skills with both are about equal, maybe capacity wins out.
Again thanks for intelligent response’s
Stradman

posted Hide Post
I often carry a single stack and don't feel under gunned at all:
P225 Classic.
P239 .40
From time to time I even return to the dark ages and pack a GP 100 or S&W M65 3 inch.
I always have a reload on me.
A G19 is an outstanding CC choice. So is the 225A1.
I would evaluate what my personal risk may be and choose accordingly.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
For a period of time my off-duty gun was a SIG P239 9mm. Then I made the switch to the Glock 19.

But honestly, I never felt "under gunned" when carrying my SIG P239. (Also a SIG P225 at one point)

Carried a spare mag with both guns too.

Good luck with your decision.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stradman: I practice situational awareness all the time...

Something else to consider is Threat Analysis. For me, when I'm forced to visit a high threat environment (think Walmart parking lot at night) this requires a minimum of a double-stack 9mm w/ 2 extra mags. And that's winter or summer. But if I'm just going down to the corner pizza shop to pick up a to-go order, then a single-stack .380 is good enough. So threat anticipation dictates what I carry. Some will laugh and/or contradict, but that's how I do it.

Based on where you live and work, what do you consider your biggest threats? And what do you need to carry to defend against that?

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MT357Magnum
posted Hide Post
quote:
For a period of time my off-duty gun was a SIG P239 9mm. Then I made the switch to the Glock 19.But honestly, I never felt "under gunned" when carrying my SIG P239. (Also a SIG P225 at one point)Carried a spare mag with both guns too.Good luck with your decision.

I also don't feel under gunned carrying my 239/40 or 220 with spare mags, My biggest problem right now is that I really do love my Sigs a lot "Great Pistols" but lately I'm getting tired of carrying all the bulk & extra weight since I started carrying my 45 shield. Is something wrong with Me? lol

Posts: 2601 | Location: Mich | Registered: September 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
On the extremely remote chance that you might need or be able to use more than the rounds in your P225, carry an extra mag. Problem solved. Smile

After working Robbery/Homicide for 19 years and seeing over 200 GSW homicides, I have come to the conclusion that you will be out of time long before you are out of ammunition. No matter what you are carrying. Good luck! Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stradman:
Thank you all for your response’s. I live in the country, am a self employed business owner who’s store is in the burbs, I practice situational awareness all the time as to my levels competency is anyone’s guess

You've started with your threat assement. You've identified the rough environment where you work, which I assume means that you believe you are highest risk in your place of business. I'd recommend doing some more analysis on local crime and threats. How often do robberies occur, how many perps are usually involved, are the robberies in your area normally armed robberies? Are you close to major highways, high crime areas or know drug areas? Do you sell jewelry, guns, or run a gas station or 24 hour Qwiki mart? Is there violent gang activity in your area?

Your chances of getting into a gun fight are probably very low.

I did some quick internet research and found your polar opposite an Urban Police Agency (NYPD). In 2016 the NYPD officers where involved in 37 adversarial conflicts (they shot at some one). When they analyzed the incidents they determined that in 86% of incidents individual officers fired 10 or less rounds. in 76% of incidents 5 or less rounds were fired by officers. So I would say you are probably ok with your P225 with it's 8+1 capacity. You can carry or stash reloads if you continue to be concerned about capacity.

link to data

Posts: 4584 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
For me it wasn't about firepower but about economics.
I can either carry and scratch up a $1000 metal gun that weighs about 2 pounds and holds 9 rounds or I can carry a plastic striker pistol with almost identical outside dimensions that cost $380, weighs the same loaded, and holds 16 rounds. Plus I won't cry when it gets dinged.
This is NOT an argument against the P225 as I'm obviously quite fond of them. Just what I tell myself so I can be ok carrying an ugly gun. Wink

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
If 20 years of working in one of the most violent cities in America has taught me anything, it is this; You will run out of time before you run out of ammo.

Practice on developing the ability to rapidly locate, identify, and engage the threat. Depending on where I'm going and what I'm doing I carry anything from a 5 shot snub to a 320 with 18 rounds on board. I carry two reloads for guns that hold less than 10 rounds, one reload for those that carry more than 10 rounds.

I enjoy handguns with high capacities. I don't feel undergunned with single stacks though, and in some situations I actually prefer them.

I've investigated a lot of shootings, both LE and private citizen. The VAST majority of those involved 3 to 5 rounds being fired. Of the shootings in which numerous rounds were fired, almost all of the rounds fired were fired by the suspect either as part of a drive by or from ambush. Even in examples of police shootings where large numbers of rounds are fired what you normally discover is that each individual shooter only fired 3 to 5 rounds, the rounds were fired nearly simultaneously, and the entire incident was over in a matter of seconds. Time is the primary limiting factor. You don't get much of it, so train to make the best of it.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
I have a couple dozen handguns, 22 through 44 mag. Wheel guns and autos, single & double stack.
Most of the time I carry a 327 fed lcr plus a speed loader. 12 shots total.
I do live away from the big cities but if forced to go closer to them then I might carry a double stack.

Practice with what you like and carry it.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4133 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I've been carrying for about 40 years and have only carried single stack guns. I have fairly small hands and the grips on the guns I use have narrower grips that suit me better. 1911's, P245, P239, P238 and P938 are my current preferences. Shooting instances in the area I live in are all but non-existent outside of the occasional drug deal gone bad in parts of town I've never been in so 8 rds is probably 8 more than I will ever need.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your informative posts. My threat assessment is low based on 19 years in the same area and I have to say I appreciate what the glock brings to the table but I really like the feel and ergonomics of the P225A.it is a beautiful example of what Sig can do on a good day and as I previously stated I train with both and shoot both well.given the input I’ve received I think that assessing the threat level of my daily agenda will determine the carry choice.
Thank you all.

posted Hide Post
Re equipment. Don't think it makes any difference which you carry. G19 with one spare mag works. With the P225-A1 I'd add a second spare mag...doesn't really add any more bulk.

I carry a G19 and a P239 .40. Use P239 for very low profile clothing and conceals easily with two spare mags. Also use two spare mags with G19, but are noticeably bulkier.

I've never subscribed to the low threat assessment theory. If you need a gun...you need a gun, whether the assessment was low, medium or high. I live in a very nice town about 12 miles out of Philadelphia. Lived here for 22 years. Went to the state liquor store at 10 AM on a gorgeously sunny summer day. Five minutes away from my house.

Hispanic male tried to approach me. Acting suspiciously. Trying to close the distance and engage in distractive conversation. Ordered him to stop. After another attempt to close/distract, he stopped. Looked unsure.

Finally, I told him to get the hell outa there. He turned, ran through an alley that led to the RR tracks and hopped over the fence. Saw him on Crime Stoppers TV segment that night. Was from Honduras. He had stabbed and killed a bartender in the adjacent county and was on the lam. Closest call I ever had.

BTW, he never showed me his left hand. Likely had the knife hidden behind his thigh while approaching. That was one of the things that aroused my suspicions. Crime Stoppers said he had relatives and friends in my town.

At the time I carried a P229 .40 and two spare mags. Dressed in shorts and a light shirt. Even in shorts, I still like to carry heavy. Nothing to do with threat assessment, just makes me feel more comfortable.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post