SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Value of a Hawes Imported Sig P220?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Value of a Hawes Imported Sig P220? Login/Join 
posted
I found a LNIB Sig P220 .45 a.c.p. pistol today in Fanklins gunshop in Athens, GA. It was in a bright blue plastic box with a hinged lid, European mag release, one magazine, owners manual, spur hammer, dull finish, no real wear anywhere. It was $800.00. I was thinking it was way over priced, but does seem a bit rare.

Posts: 1988 | Location: metro Atlanta, GA | Registered: July 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
A little high but not out of this world. I always wanted one with the Hawes brand in it. You don't see many of them.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
It has been there for a while. Looked like it may have been refinished. It was there when I bought the X-Five for $888

Shop around a little more. I was also able to find a P220 in .38 Super for less than the asking price of this .45 ACP.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Sounds a little high.

If you want a P-220 as a shooter, I think you can find a better (Mid 90's) example.

If you are looking for an early example, for a collection, it may be worth it.

If it is for a shooter, I believe the Euro mag release is not as popular as the American release.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
That Hawes gun should not be high polished. Here is my 1977 Hawes 220 in 38 Super. Box is blue cardboard.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: p08,

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
Hawes imported P220's are definitely not high polished like the Browning BDA's. In the condition you describe - with the box and papers - I personally would have no difficulty coughing up $700 - $800 for a pristine example. Over the years, I have owned several high condition Hawes P220's in the various calibers. None came with the original box. As mentioned, I would never consider any Hawes P220 as an everyday shooter. There are much better choices for this role at the $800 price point. If however, you are looking for a representative example of a relatively uncommon P220, it sounds like you've found a winner. Good luck.

Posts: 3506 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://imgur.com/a/Gosgk
Mine is Tyson Corner.
(Well, how do I post the picture from Imgur?)

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://imgur.com/a/Gosgk
Mine is Tyson Corner.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Hey, The Hawes P220 the OP was referring to appeared to have been refinished (Cerakote / Krylon / ???) beforehand with a greenish color and made around 1982 if I remember correctly.

It didn't look anywhere near as good of condition as the other P220s referred to in this post:

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bought a 239 magazine for $10, got banned for free.
posted Hide Post
can't figure out how to post pictures from imgur. No problem on the blue forum. It needs to be easier here. Nothing but a pain. There has to be a better and easier way.

Posts: 279 | Location: West TN | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Hey, The Hawes P220 the OP was referring to appeared to have been refinished (Cerakote / Krylon / ???) beforehand with a greenish color and made around 1982 if I remember correctly.

It didn't look anywhere near as good of condition as the other P220s referred to in this post.

Thanks for the clarification .38supersig. Cerakote / Krylon / ??? does not equal LNIB. Refinished, the pistol is scarcely worth $450. Even as a shooter, it's value is questionable. As a working gun, there are simply better P220 options than an early example. For comparison, here is how an original Hawes P220 should appear:

Original HH Coded Hawes P220, G 108xxx, .45 auto

Posts: 3506 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
Is a blue plastic box the correct case for these Hawes P220s? Is it small like P08's cardboard box?

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wgsigs:
Is a blue plastic box the correct case for these Hawes P220s? Is it small like P08's cardboard box?
The correct box is the flimsy blue cardboard box p08 shows in his pics. I have a P220 9mm Hawes import, proofed 1977, G1076xx. It has the same cardboard box, same yellow foam insert, same plastic bag and same manual and my box is just as ratty as his.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
So the "bright blue plastic box with a hinged lid" mentioned by the OP is not original.

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wgsigs:
So the "bright blue plastic box with a hinged lid" mentioned by the OP is not original.

As mentioned in my earlier post, none of my Hawes P220's came with the original box. One of them did however arrive in a "bright blue plastic box with a hinged lid" repurposed from a P6. Many Hawes P220's were acquired and sold through an importer located in Sacramento, CA. In addition to the Hawes import address on the slide, these later pistols display a second import stamp on the serial numbered side of the barrel flat.

posted Hide Post
hjs157 your box is the type I saw.

Posts: 1988 | Location: metro Atlanta, GA | Registered: July 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Colby Bruce:
hjs157 your box is the type I saw.

Do you recall if it was serialized (or re-serialized) to the pistol? Thanks!

posted Hide Post
No I don't, but I believe I am going there tomorrow. I will look for it.

posted Hide Post
The box had two faded labels, I could not read the serial number.

Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Colby Bruce:
The box had two faded labels, I could not read the serial number.

Surely you purchased it?

Posts: 1762 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: January 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post