SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig Legion Finish Option... PVD or Nitron?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig Legion Finish Option... PVD or Nitron? Login/Join 
posted
Hi,

Sig is refinishing my P229 Legion and gave me the option of Nitron or PVD. I was all over the Nitron but CS at Sig said PVD is stronger and will last longer. I brought up numerous complaints and he said can show me as many about any other finishes.

BTW I did not know but the frame is NOT PVD, just dyed anodized. Sig also said refinishing it with anything will be difficult... I had considered third party refinish but am now confused...

I have a couple days before Sig gets my P229 so exploring options before I commit. I can get slide refinished by them for $50 so better deal than anywhere else...

Thanks,
R44

Posts: 3 | Registered: September 25, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
PVD is a process, not a coating, fyi.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Oh brother....But you understand what I mean right?

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I am not a fan of the PVD but dont have a bunch of rounds through my 226. there is a big square inside the mag well hat is bare metal and the rails are bare of any finish.

why is it gettiong refinished? what was wrong with the original PVD?

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
why is it gettiong refinished? what was wrong with the original PVD?

Hi,

Well I may have neglected my Legion a little. Wasn't able to shoot regularly and only doing quick wipe downs between carries and not daily. Evidently some sweat was able to creep below the decocking lever and inside the mag release causing some rust. Also a small bit on the front of the slide... Weird combination of I feel, finish, holster choice and neglect on my part.

Before life got complicated I was shooting 2-4 times a week and cleaning after every session. Recently had not shot for ~6 weeks and not given a good enough wipe down between summer time carries.

BTW the square is where they hang the piece in the PVD application process. Not a defect. They all have this. No finish will hold up to shooting and rail movement. All normal on all my metal to metal semi-autos. If you're used a polymer frame you'll see little if any of this sort of wear.

R44

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

More to the point of the OP's question, PVD is a process for applying thin metal based coatings. Ionbond is one such process, using a variety of metals to form an extremely hard coating used for cutting tools (machine shop cutters). And for guns. I have had 3 1911's coated with Ionbond. The only drawback, if you can call it that, is that it is an oil sponge.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
The PVD is much stronger. It discolors a bit with wear but you'd need a belt grinder to get through to metal.
This discoloration is what people are seeing and reporting falsely as "bare metal".

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The PVD should hold some of the lubricant in it's pore's. A gunsmith recommended that I soak my PVD parts in gun oil overnight before assembling. This was for my precision rifle.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post