SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    M&P 2.0 at 2000 rounds. Some thoughts.
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 20
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M&P 2.0 at 2000 rounds. Some thoughts. Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted
I just hit 2000 on my new Smith and Wesson M&P 2.0 9mm. I shot one here while back, was really turned on by it and, and traded about a month ago for a 4.25 inch gun.
My first shots through a loaner gun were a bit puzzling. I own the original 1.0 gun that was used to prototype the first Apex hard sear, back when all that was offered was just a sear. I've shot the crap out of that pistol. It almost seemed (I know recoil is subjective) that the 2.0 had less recoil that my old 1.0 M&P. I sorta shrugged it off at first. Then, I began to adjust my form, and it clicked on how quick the sight returned, and how little the gun moved in my hands.
So, about a month later, I traded for my 2.0. I will prop this up by saying I have only owned one M&P that the accuracy did not suck on. I bought three guns that I shot for about a day each, and could not get them to group any better than 6-8 inches at 25 yards. Sucked real bad. Then Apex came out with their barrel, and life was good.
The 2.0 is a different bird. Out of the box, off hand I can make rounds almost touch at 15 yards, and keep three rounds in about 3 inches at 25 yards.

The out of the box trigger is better than the out of the box trigger on a Glock. All of sponge is gone, reset seems a little shorter, and for those wanting "positive reset" it has it. The trigger is quite shootable, actually, and I like the stock 2.0 trigger better than the stock Glock trigger or P320 trigger.

I added a set of the new Trijicon HD XR night sights to the gun. Today, I ran another 500 rounds through it from contact to 100 yards. The HD XR is the way to go. I thought originally that I might not like them because I was afraid the front sight would wind up looking like a hot dog down a hallway, but it works nicely. The sight centers almost naturally.

All in all, in the first 2000 rounds I am really impressed. Sub one second draws are easy, and it is almost effortless to crank out .20 splits at 10 yards with nothing but alphas. Can't wait to get some more time on it.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hear good things from owners of that gun. I like Trijicon hd sights.

Posts: 621 | Location: GA | Registered: September 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report ... the 2.0 has generated a little interest for me ...

Posts: 1417 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: January 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jljones, what ammo were you using for the best accuracy?

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
I bought three guns that I shot for about a day each, and could not get them to group any better than 6-8 inches at 25 yards. Sucked real bad. Then Apex came out with their barrel, and life was good.

you likely know this, but a few years ago, S&W changed their barrel design for the M&P 1.0. In fact, owners of the original design barrel can get a new barrel from S&W.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 1.0 M&P that was purchased about 6 or 7 years ago, and it has never been accurate. Does S&W replace the 1.0 free of charge or do they charge you? Thanks.

Posts: 655 | Location: Northern Colorado, USA | Registered: September 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
Got my 2.0 last Sunday. Will be shooting it for the first time tomorrow. I am very exited!

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Great write-up, I'm hoping to add a 2.0 to my stable soon

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Wasn't aware of the barrel issues with the original M&P. Is this only with the 4.25" barrels, or does it involve the other lengths as well? I presume it was more a problem with earlier guns.

My 9Pro 5" has been a dead-on shooter for me. It's never caused any angst at all, and I actually shoot it more accurately than my G34. Meanwhile my 9Compact can be a painfully inaccurate gun. For the longest time I blamed it on the trigger, then as the trigger smoothed out with use and still it shoots with similar inconsistencies with accuracy. It groups a little tighter than when new, but not as much as I would hope or expect. Both guns were purchased within weeks of one another, about 7 or so yrs ago. With the Compact I seldom felt happy with its performance even at defensive distances, yet I have no problem being reasonably accurate with a comparable G26 or G27.

The 2.0s that have come through the shop feel pretty good in hand, though the triggers to me don't feel much if any better than the one on my old 9Pro. However reset feedback is significantly more pronounced on the new design where it's almost non-existent on my 9Pro. I've considered at some point picking up a 4.25" to fill the vacancy between the two I already have, though I'll probably wait for one of the upgrade versions like the 2.0 C.O.R.E. that's bound to happen down the road.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 2.0 has me curious. The M&P is a fine pistol, but they've never had any "soul" to them. Hope the 2.0 does.

Thanks for the review!

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:
I bought three guns that I shot for about a day each, and could not get them to group any better than 6-8 inches at 25 yards. Sucked real bad. Then Apex came out with their barrel, and life was good.

you likely know this, but a few years ago, S&W changed their barrel design for the M&P 1.0. In fact, owners of the original design barrel can get a new barrel from S&W.

New barrels weren't a guarantee. There was more going on to the accuracy problems than just the barrel. The barrel twist was a problem, but there were other issues. I had one of the new barrel guns, put sights and a duty carry kit in it, and couldn't hit water if I fell out of a boat with it.

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig Mann:
I have a 1.0 M&P that was purchased about 6 or 7 years ago, and it has never been accurate. Does S&W replace the 1.0 free of charge or do they charge you? Thanks.

People blamed the barrel twist as being the problem with accuracy. There were actually more issues that contributed to the accuracy problems than just replacing the barrel with another factory barrel. IE- You could take one gun that was really accurate, and mix and match parts, barrels, etc with a gun that wasn't, and it would not make the gun that wasn't accurate all of a sudden accurate.

Smith, as far as I know, always claim that the accuracy on all units were up to par. But, they also claimed that their triggers were "as good as" the aftermarket crowd.

www.opspectraining.com

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
Wasn't aware of the barrel issues with the original M&P. Is this only with the 4.25" barrels, or does it involve the other lengths as well? I presume it was more a problem with earlier guns.

The most common report of issues always was with 4.25 9mm guns. Other lengths and calibers did also have some problems here and there.

Oh, and I heard that the reason that the 2.0 feels similar to your pro is because that the 2.0 has the Pro sear in it.

www.opspectraining.com

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArLEOret:
Jljones, what ammo were you using for the best accuracy?

I've only shot Blazer 115 and 124, and some 124 reman Freedom. It seems to like it all. The group in the picture was 115 grain Blazer.

I am going to get some 147 to try. I like this pistol.

www.opspectraining.com

Picture of qcsmitty
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Jerry. Helpful review, sir.

Posts: 3778 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by qcsmitty:
Thank you, Jerry. Helpful review, sir.

You are more than welcome!!

www.opspectraining.com

Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
I agree whole heartedly with you jljones. My M2.0 9mm has quickly become my favorite polymer pistol, and that's saying something because I still really like my original classic PPQ and 2nd gen G19. It is easy to shoot well, mechanically very accurate, has a very good trigger as you mentioned, and I've found the aggressive texture of the grip not only serves as added traction for stability, it actually keeps you from unconsciously gripping the pistol too tightly. Good stock sights, reasonably priced magazines and a great overall value for what you pay for it too. There is a whole lot to like about the M&P 2.0. Smith & Wesson has a winner with this one in my book.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:

I sent my 2006 (first year) full-size 9mm M&P in to S&W for consistency issues and I noted the lousiest trigger possible (in case they could do something).

S&W replaced the barrel with one of a different twist (I suppose their 'new' design for the 1.0), replaced the springs, and fidgeted with the trigger a wee bit. What came back to me (free of charge) was a remarkably different pistol. Still a 1.0 trigger, but sans the 'catchiness' it had from factory and the accuracy was spot on fun at the range.

This same pistol was sent back once before for finish micro-pitting/rusting and S&W sent back a new slide w/night sights (no charge). Awesome customer service.

Posts: 558 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Thoughtful and helpful, as always.

Thank you for taking the time to test and compose your thoughts in such a manner.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjkroll32:
Thoughtful and helpful, as always.

Thank you for taking the time to test and compose your thoughts in such a manner.

No problem. I plan to keep shooting it in stock form for a while longer. Eventually, I will have an Apex gunsmith fit barrel installed, and will put in a duty carry kit.

www.opspectraining.com