SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    M&P 2.0 at 2000 rounds. Some thoughts.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 20
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M&P 2.0 at 2000 rounds. Some thoughts. Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post

Ran another range session in the rain today. Shot on the steel range again. Except venturing out into the downpour to shoot a couple of quick drills at the seven, I shot most all at the 25, 50, and a few shots at 75 yards.

I took three pistols to do a little comparison. A 2.0, a 1.0, and a 9c. I shot each at each yard marker as a comparison yardstick. At the seven, I shot bill drills, one and two shot drills from the holster, and failure drills. At distance, I shot mainly ones and twos from the holster. At the seven, the 2.0 reigned king. At distance, the 1.0 was the clear winner. The 1.0 does have an Apex barrel, but I don't know if that was the variable. I could still hit things with the 2.0, but I had to slow way down. I try to use a 1.75 par time on the draw at 25, and a 2.25 par time at the 50. With the 1.0 at 25, I was easily hitting 1.45-1.6 with confidence. The 2.0 I was struggling to make par, and in several cases it was taking me a full two seconds to make the hit.

Here is the kicker. The 9c was the best all around gun. I burned a couple of 1.9 bill drills with the gun, and never missed a par time out to 25. At 50, I did have to slow it down quite a bit, but the little gun just keeps chugging.

An interesting day to say the least. I guess I'll blame the rain?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You dig
Picture of evolution
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

Ran another range session in the rain today. Shot on the steel range again. Except venturing out into the downpour to shoot a couple of quick drills at the seven, I shot most all at the 25, 50, and a few shots at 75 yards.

I took three pistols to do a little comparison. A 2.0, a 1.0, and a 9c. I shot each at each yard marker as a comparison yardstick. At the seven, I shot bill drills, one and two shot drills from the holster, and failure drills. At distance, I shot mainly ones and twos from the holster. At the seven, the 2.0 reigned king. At distance, the 1.0 was the clear winner. The 1.0 does have an Apex barrel, but I don't know if that was the variable. I could still hit things with the 2.0, but I had to slow way down. I try to use a 1.75 par time on the draw at 25, and a 2.25 par time at the 50. With the 1.0 at 25, I was easily hitting 1.45-1.6 with confidence. The 2.0 I was struggling to make par, and in several cases it was taking me a full two seconds to make the hit.

Here is the kicker. The 9c was the best all around gun. I burned a couple of 1.9 bill drills with the gun, and never missed a par time out to 25. At 50, I did have to slow it down quite a bit, but the little gun just keeps chugging.

An interesting day to say the least. I guess I'll blame the rain?

So seriously, what does today to your overall impression of the gun?

Posts: 2602 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by evolution:

My personal impressions of the gun is that it is a well put together evolution of the 1.0. If your concerns are based upon my post from yesterday, you have to remember it is apples and Yamahas. There is NO WAY a stock box, or lightly modified 1.0 would have competed with my 1.0. It has an Apex barrel, Duty carry kit, and extractor. The old 1.0 would not all me to even hit a 50 or 75 yard target out of the box, no matter the speed. The fact that the 2.0 readily allows it, is an amazing feat. Remember that in the comparison as it is relevant. The fact that I had to slow way down to hit the target gives one take away. The gun will hit the target at the distance. The hows and whys just fall back upon me.
The 2.0 is a great out of the box pistol, and the Apex kit I had installed made it better. I'm not sure why I am slower with it. I have a hunch that it is the aggressive grip texture setting my hand in the wrong spot coming out of the holster, but we shall see. If it is, that is an issue I'll have to fix and doesn't reflect in a negative fashion on the gun.

All and all, I highly recommend the 2.0.

The real winner from yesterday was the 9c. It reminded me just how good the small package gun shoots. It has a full sized duty pistol's performance in a package smaller than a Glock 19.

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

My personal impressions of the gun is that it is a well put together evolution of the 1.0. If your concerns are based upon my post from yesterday, you have to remember it is apples and Yamahas. There is NO WAY a stock box, or lightly modified 1.0 would have competed with my 1.0. It has an Apex barrel, Duty carry kit, and extractor. The old 1.0 would not all me to even hit a 50 or 75 yard target out of the box, no matter the speed. The fact that the 2.0 readily allows it, is an amazing feat. Remember that in the comparison as it is relevant. The fact that I had to slow way down to hit the target gives one take away. The gun will hit the target at the distance. The hows and whys just fall back upon me.
The 2.0 is a great out of the box pistol, and the Apex kit I had installed made it better. I'm not sure why I am slower with it. I have a hunch that it is the aggressive grip texture setting my hand in the wrong spot coming out of the holster, but we shall see. If it is, that is an issue I'll have to fix and doesn't reflect in a negative fashion on the gun.

All and all, I highly recommend the 2.0.

The real winner from yesterday was the 9c. It reminded me just how good the small package gun shoots. It has a full sized duty pistol's performance in a package smaller than a Glock 19.

I still own MP9c and MP357c (with 40 barrel) and just took advantage of the MP 2.0 at 409.00 shipped deal pointed out above.

With Jones feedback and others i trust, it was a no brainer even though i am very much a glock guy the past 2-3 years.

Look forward to running it stock for 1,000 plus, and then maybe seeing what APEX does to the internals.

If the gun proves a keeper the slide will also gt sent off to Jagerwerks for some milling and RMR cut.

Posts: 6727 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: November 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jjkroll32:
Thoughtful and helpful, as always.

Thank you for taking the time to test and compose your thoughts in such a manner.

No problem. I plan to keep shooting it in stock form for a while longer. Eventually, I will have an Apex gunsmith fit barrel installed, and will put in a duty carry kit.

Thank you in particular for the accuracy report. I owned an updated M&P 1.0 9mm with the "dot" barrel, and its accuracy was atrocious, if not unforgivable on S&W's part. It was the inaccuracy of that M&P that has kept me away from the brand until your report has rekindled my interest in the model.

Posts: 1087 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Another 150 rounds today. Very solid pistol. I've got to get off the steel and back on paper. I've quit training and moved into "Let's see how fast we can go"(Which translates into "Let's see how fast we can miss target 4, 6, and 7" Wink)

www.opspectraining.com

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbourneidentity:

Thank you in particular for the accuracy report. I owned an updated M&P 1.0 9mm with the "dot" barrel, and its accuracy was atrocious, if not unforgivable on S&W's part. It was the inaccuracy of that M&P that has kept me away from the brand until your report has rekindled my interest in the model.

What is the "dot" barrel? I have one of the early M&P 9mm FS pistols, and I have never been able to shoot it accurately. In fact, it is now back at S&W being checked out. Is there a mark on the barrel that allows identification of the defective barrels? Thanks.

Posts: 655 | Location: Northern Colorado, USA | Registered: September 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You dig
Picture of evolution
posted Hide Post
I believe the dot barrel is the updated barrel that had the changed twist rate. The change in the twist rate was supposed to fix the accuracy issues some of the original M&P's experienced. If you purchase an updated barrel, or bought an M&P with an updated barrel, sometimes the accuracy was improved, sometimes it wasn't.

I had a very early production M&P 9mm and had no accuracy issues what so ever. Never the less the accuracy issues definitely existed.

If you google M&P updated barrel, or dot barrel you will probably find some images or links.

Posts: 2602 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does the 2.0 fit the same holster as a 1.0 if tightly molded?

Posts: 636 | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xray 99:

in the slide area yest, but the frame is a hair thicker.

Posts: 6727 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: November 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xray 99:

I was told it won't fit Safariland ALS holsters made for the 1.0.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Post 2013 (dot) made M&P 9's have the 1 in 9 rate of twist barrels. The 1 in 18 twist barrels exhibited some awful accuracy..
quote:
I believe the dot barrel is the updated barrel that had the changed twist rate. The change in the twist rate was supposed to fix the accuracy issues some of the original M&P's experienced. If you purchase an updated barrel, or bought an M&P with an updated barrel, sometimes the accuracy was improved, sometimes it wasn't.

I had a very early production M&P 9mm and had no accuracy issues what so ever. Never the less the accuracy issues definitely existed.

If you google M&P updated barrel, or dot barrel you will probably find some images or links.

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I picked up my $409 version 2.0 today. Color me impressed. I like it much better than the version 1 pistol I had. The grip just sticks to your hand like glue. The trigger out of the box is very good for a service pistol. Great reset as well. The magazines have a very nice anti-friction coating. The magazine springs are very strong, on par with +5 or +10 wolf mag springs, a good thing in my opinion. A full 17 round mag easily seats, and doesn't need forced in.

I'm a Glock fanboy and to be honest, this pistol is better than a G17 in my opinion. And cheaper too. Smith did a great job on this version 2.0.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
I picked up my $409 version 2.0 today. Color me impressed. I like it much better than the version 1 pistol I had. The grip just sticks to your hand like glue. The trigger out of the box is very good for a service pistol. Great reset as well. The magazines have a very nice anti-friction coating. The magazine springs are very strong, on par with +5 or +10 wolf mag springs, a good thing in my opinion. A full 17 round mag easily seats, and doesn't need forced in.

I'm a Glock fanboy and to be honest, this pistol is better than a G17 in my opinion. And cheaper too. Smith did a great job on this version 2.0.

I am interested to hear your shooting impression when you get it to the range.

Posts: 4546 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
S&W did a great job with the ergonomics of the 2.0. It may have the best feeling grip out of any of the newer striker fired pistols. I want one but I'm holding out for the compact model. When are they going to release it?

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Another 150 rounds today. Very solid pistol. I've got to get off the steel and back on paper. I've quit training and moved into "Let's see how fast we can go"(Which translates into "Let's see how fast we can miss target 4, 6, and 7" Wink)

Love how jlj puts shooting in perspective...

Shot dryfly's 2.0 again today. I have a 1.0 with an APEX Comp kit that is great. I have to tell you that I was impressed with 2.0 rigbt out of the box. I AM WARMING UP TO 2.0!

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:

Mine should arrive to my FFL today, hope to get it in the next few days.

Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Here's a pic of my 2.0 with a Silencerco barrel, Taran mag extension and Ameriglo's. An Apex DCAEK is enroute. I got the Apex kit for two reasons, mostly because this is a super accurate setup for me and I know it will be even more so with the kit installed. Number two, the hinged oem trigger is annoying to me. The actual feel of the 2.0 trigger is not bad at all.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dry-fly,

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6996 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cobra 21: Apex offers a "Duty-Carry" kit for M2.0 that appears not to change the required trigger force by much, and for M1.0 Apex offers a "Competition" kit. The Competition kit significantly lightens the required trigger force.

Apex has not responded to question about whether their Competition kit will fit into M2.0.

Question is whether "dryfly" installed an Apex Duty/Carry or alternatively installed a Competition kit. If the latter, were any issues encountered?

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 504 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post