SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    M&P 2.0 at 2000 rounds. Some thoughts.
Page 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 20
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M&P 2.0 at 2000 rounds. Some thoughts. Login/Join 
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
Semi-related, I picked up a 2.0 compact off the prize table this weekend. Hopefully, it will be to my FFL this week.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been shooting USPSA since 1993, and IDPA since its beginning. I really like accurate handguns. My single stacks, and STIs will shoot 2" groups at 50 yards with loads they like.
My first pistol for Production division, in USPSA, and SSP in IDPA was a Sig 226. It generally shot about 1 1/2" groups at 25 yards. I decided that I THOUGHT I could do better with a Glock. Nope, they just don't fit in my hand. When S&W came out with the M&P, I bought a bunch. My favorite is a 5" Pro, with an Apex competition kit, and Apex gunsmith fit barrel. I believe the trigger pull is 36 ounces. A while back, a friend of mine got a 5", 2.0. I borrowed it from him, took it to the range, and fired a bunch of different loads through it. Accuracy was acceptable, for a plastic gun. I also had my Pro along, which shot more accurately, but, shooting the same loads, from both guns, I was amazed at the difference in felt recoil, and muzzle jump.
Well, I figured that I HAD to have one, but, didn't like S&Ws "fix" for the slide stop. I LIKE the fact that if my slide is locked back, it will go home when slamming in a mag. So, I thought I would set it up for Carry Optics. I had a Fastfire 3 on the shelf, a guide rod, a 13# spring, and an Apex competition spring kit, so I bought an Apex .45 sear, and an adapter plate for the Fastfire. I just rounded the striker block, and dropped in the APex parts, with the exception of the striker spring, because the 2.0 has a totally different striker, and the trigger is at 40 ounces. The longer frame rails must create more friction, because when I took it to its first match, I found out it would choke, with FULL magazines, with my regular, 131pf load. I stuck the upper from my 5" Pro, with the Apex, gunsmith-fit barrel on the 2.0 lower and was pretty surprised that it fit. It also needed more powerful loads to run 100% with a full magazine. I'm hoping that after another thousand rounds, it will run 100% with loads less than 135pf.
I'm still on the fence about fitting an Apex, gunsmith-fit barrel to it. It would probably cut the size of my groups in half, but, with my aging eyes, and other physical issues, I don't know how much longer I'll be able to shoot handguns.

Posts: 221 | Location: WI | Registered: October 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where did you purchase the #13 spring for your 4.25 and your 2.0C. Thank you for the info.

Also, will the 13 pound springs work in my M&P 1.0s

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a 1.0 M&P9 Compact that had terrible accuracy. I know this because my Glock 26, 19 and 17 were much more accurate. Also, my Sig P228 was very accurate.

Just recently I took a chance and bought a M&P .45 ACP 2.0 and the accuracy is very good. Yes, S&W makes it in my favorite caliber.

Posts: 25 | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's my way or the Highway
Picture of piedrarc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArLEOret:
Where did you purchase the #13 spring for your 4.25 and your 2.0C. Thank you for the info.

Also, will the 13 pound springs work in my M&P 1.0s

Maybe I can answer this for you. Brownells sell the ISMI flat wire spring 13lbs.

Click here......

I use the captured recoil assembly it comes with (M&P). Compress it down with a set of vise grips and clamp onto the rod. Place in a vise and remove the nut. Reverse the process for the installation.
A few little scuff won't affect anything on the guide rod.

I shit can all the stock springs on the 1.0 and 2.0 (9x19 only) and replace them with 13lbs ISMI, this also includes the 2.0 Compact, 4.25 and 5
inch models. Works perfectly.

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Operation Specific Training

Bang, bang, Click

Posts: 4911 | Location: surrounded by liberals. | Registered: September 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Piedrarc, thanks for the info. Don’t know if I can do all that work with my aged hands. I will look to find a complete recoil assembly I can just drop in. Maybe Sprinco has a drop in.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Piedrarc, thanks for the info. Don’t know if I can do all that work with my aged hands. I will look to find a complete recoil assembly I can just drop in. Maybe Sprinco has a drop in.

The previous owner of my 5” installed an Uncaptured 13# spring and stainless guide rod. I just don’t know the make. I’d wager that a glock guide rod would work.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tha1000:
quote:

The previous owner of my 5” installed an Uncaptured 13# spring and stainless guide rod. I just don’t know the make. I’d wager that a glock guide rod would work.

Yup, Glock and M&P guide rods, and recoil springs interchange

Posts: 221 | Location: WI | Registered: October 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I just ordered a M&P 2.0 9mm Compact. I'm excited to compare it to both my M&P9c 1.0 as well as my Gen 5 G19.

Interestingly, the S&W LE Dealer I bought it from only had Thumb Safety models in stock. Been out of the non-safety models for a few months. Not a big deal, since the thumb safety is simple to remove. I already got on the horn with S&W and they're sending me a free pair of the frame plugs to fill the safety notches.

Oh, and "All hail the up-and-coming Dark Lord".

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I ended up selling my compact off. The trigger reach was just too far back for me.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Apex makes a forward-set sear and trigger that could have fixed that...

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Apex makes a forward-set sear and trigger that could have fixed that...

I looked at those but I decided to fund other projects instead. I had a couple other minor issues with this pistol that compounded everything.
Nothing really negative about the platform. Just didn't fit me as well as others so I cut my losses. Smile

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
I looked at those but I decided to fund other projects instead.

Just didn't fit me as well as others so I cut my losses. Smile

Understandable.

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
I looked at those but I decided to fund other projects instead.

Just didn't fit me as well as others so I cut my losses. Smile

Understandable.

Bummer too because I really liked the gun. The quality was outstanding.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
My M&P 2.0 Compact arrived today. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but I figured I'd post my initial thoughts.

The texture is significantly improved over the 1.0. I had to install a set of Talon Grips on my 1.0 9c, and even then it was a bit too slick for my taste. The new 2.0 texture feels outstanding in the hand, but it remains to be seen if it's a bit too aggressive for IWB carry, which I suspect it might be. If so, I can knock some of the edge off the left side of the grip with some fine grit sandpaper. I still think the Gen 4/5 Glock texture is the best all-around texture I've encountered so far, with it being aggressive enough for sweaty/slick hands without being annoying to carry.

The trigger is better than the 1.0. The initial "gravely cruch" in the first half of the takeup is noticeably lessened, but still present. I suspect that will get better with more rounds through it, as it did on my 1.0 The big difference is in the reset, which is noticeably shorter and more tactile than the 1.0. The trigger also has a much more pronounced "wall" than my 1.0 9c or any of my other striker triggers, which as jljones notes allows for a nice, hard "prep" on the trigger. I'll shoot it for a while before I decide if this 2.0 needs an Apex DCAEK.

It's noticeably slimmer in feel than the G19 Gen 5. Perhaps a bit too slim, in fact, since I can't quite get my support hand heel sucked up against the side of the grip as much as I'd prefer. The interchangeable backstraps really only affect the trigger reach and the girth in the strong hand palm area. I'll keep playing around with those. The slimness does mean that it should conceal a bit easier than the Glock.

I like that S&W includes two adapters for 17 round magazines in the box. These are much better than the Xgrip adapters I had for my 1.0 9c. Those Xgrips are relatively loose, and tend to slip and slide around on the 17 round mags, especially when carried all day in a magazine pouch. These new 2.0 adapters are tighter and stick solidly in place, so they should slide around less.

The 2.0C I purchased came with a thumb safety. The LE dealer I purchased it from only had that model in stock, but at only $398 shipped (with 3x mags and night sights) it was $50-$80 cheaper than the other LE dealers I looked at. And luckily, the safety is very easy to remove. I'll gladly spend 3 minutes to remove the thumb safety in exchange for saving $50+. Wink

I don't normally like safeties on striker guns, but of the various ones I've tried and fondled, this is one of the least obnoxious safeties. It's relatively unobtrusive, but comfortable and fast to activate/deactivate, with solid detents. Sort of like a 1911 safety.

S&W Customer Service had already shipped me the safety cutout frame plugs (for free), which will be delivered on Thursday, at which point I'll remove the thumb safety altogether. It only requires driving out the rear pin, lifting out the trigger block, sliding out the thumb safety, and lifting out the safety detent and spring. Then the two frame plugs snap down into the cutouts on the sides of the frame, and the block and pin are reinstalled.

Even the M&Ps without thumb safeties still have frames with cutouts, just with the frame plugs installed at the factory. So what I'll end up with will be identical to a factory safety-less M&P 2.0 Compact.

I look forward to getting this out to the range later this week. I have a feeling it may either replace or at least supplement my G19 as my off duty gun.

Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
Rogue, you mind saying what dealer you used? I’m interested in a full size with night sights.

Posts: 1512 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I ordered mine from Bud's Gun Shop/Bud's Police Supply, but it was one of the last of that shipment.

It looks like they just got another shipment in this week, of both safety and non-safety Compacts, but the prices have gone up ~$40. I paid $398 for the safety model, but they're now $440. Non-safety models are $475.

Safety: https://www.budsgunshop.com/ca...roducts_id/415000286

No Safety: https://www.budsgunshop.com/ca...+Compact+15rd+NMS+NS

They have the full sized LE 2.0 9mms for $460 with no safety, and $504 (!) with a safety.

Safety: https://www.budsgunshop.com/ca...+Night+Sights+Safety

No Safety: https://www.budsgunshop.com/ca...+Black+%7C+Full+Size

I'm not sure why their prices are all over the place... A $40 swing in a week or so, and a $106 difference between two similar models, doesn't make much sense to me. Confused

The other LE dealers have been pretty consistent with their $450-$480 prices across the board.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
As expected, removal of the thumb safety and installation of the frame plugs went without a hitch.

Took about 4 minutes total, much of which was fiddling with the sear housing block to get it to properly align and seat back in the cutout in the back of the frame. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
quote:

If you don't find a drop-in, you can mail your assembly to me with your new spring and I'll switch the springs for you.

Posts: 840 | Location: FL | Registered: January 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Finally was able to work on competitor's M&P9 4" "Compact" Shot great groups (after cleaning and lube). Drive out the back pin, lift up the sear-block a bit, use punch as a slave to push out sear pin from the right side (with thumb over the sear!!) and delicately replace the cast factory sear with Apex two dot sear. Push block back. Note that it was not removed from frame.

Trigger force is now about 4.5 pounds-force and smooth. Unfortunately, all of the sear springs available from Apex (spring with plunger pushes up on sear) INCREASE required trigger force. Does anyone know a source of slightly lighter sear springs?

Bottom line: It is rather easy to replace sear with attendant benefit. A punch is all that is required.

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 504 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post