SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    First Ever P6 Malfunctions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First Ever P6 Malfunctions Login/Join 
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted
I have had my P6 for 15 years or so and have never had any kind of a problem. Today I took a lady to the range to learn how to shoot. Her husband, my good friend, recently died and she wanted to see how to operate his guns.

I started her on a .22 and moved up through a .32 and .380. I then let her shoot my P6 as a comparison. We fired a box of Federal aluminum without any problems at all. We then tried a box of Browning 147 gr Performance Target. We got failures to feed and a stovepipe. I was thinking maybe she was limp wristing, but the Federals fired. I tried the gun and also had problems with 2 different magazines.

This ammo is listed at 1000fps. Think it could be the ammo? I called my friend at the LGS and he said he had sold a lot of it and no other complaints.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
What year P6? Prior to '95, it's my experience the P6 feed ramp needs some polishing to reliably feed 147 grain 9mm ammo. Any 147 gr ammo used in that P6 before your latest range session?

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
The feed ramp was polished to feed hp's when I first got it.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
The first thing I'd try is different ammo and see if the condition duplicates itself.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
If malfunctions occur with one specific type of ammunition, especially if there’s a long history of flawless operation with other types, that’s a strong clue that the ammunition is at fault.

The P6 pistol was developed before the common advent of 147 grain 9mm loads, so there could be there was something about the pistol’s design that makes it incompatible with the 147.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep... I would go with the premise that your P6 just does not care for 147.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post