SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ed Brown RMR Slide from Brownells - Who has one?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ed Brown RMR Slide from Brownells - Who has one? Login/Join 
posted
I want to RMR a 1911 and I was looking at this Ed Brown slide, pretty interesting.

I do not want to modify the OEM slide.

I'd mount this on an SA MC Operator or Trophy Match, so I was also thinking about getting an SA slide and having it milled.

I'm wondering if I'll need to do some fitting too.

Thank you.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Fitting is my concern

Slide to frame

Barrel to slide

Barrel to bushing

Bushing to slide

Tune the extractor

There’s a reason people do this for a living. I think it might be better to just get the current slide milled.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are trading one issue for another. This has the issue of fitting and those adjustments but the RMR side is done. Milling a 1911 slide has the issue of fitting the trijicon plate but no worry about fitting of slide to frame. At this point my guess is the first option is way cheaper than the second option. I've milled a couple 1911 slides and the cost was silly due to Trijicon plate price...

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your input, probably better to buy an entire pistol and have it milled since I really dislike the idea of milling my OEM MC Operator slide.

The Ed Brown slide still requires the Trijicon RMR adapter BUIS.

The Ed Brown slide is $328, Trijicon RMR adapter is $213, need slide innards, Ed Brown threaded barrel/bushing is $250. A gunsmith would have to fit it all together to the frame. Pretty expensive way to go.

L and M will do the slide 2 different ways, (1) I'd have to provide the Trijicon RMR adapter BUIS or (2) they have their own custom RMR cut that uses Dawson BUIS.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
Yes. It’ll take a lot of work to fit the spare top end and it might require filing on the frame, which would effect the dot of the oem top end. 1911’s are a lot of work, which is why they cost so much.

I had a delta point pro milled into a 2011 slide. You can mount buis directly to the optic and save money vs buying the trijicon plate. Fwiw.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admit nothing. Deny everything.
Make counter-accusations.
Picture of rkentm
posted Hide Post
I may be the exception to the rule, but I picked one up for this very reason. No way was I going to mill out the slide on my TRP. When I got it, all the parts went in just perfectly and it fit my TRP frame like it was born there. Fired 100’s of rounds so far and not a single problem.

"Ladies and Gentlemen - The Fit has hit the Shan!"

Posts: 568 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rkentm:
I may be the exception to the rule, but I picked one up for this very reason. No way was I going to mill out the slide on my TRP. When I got it, all the parts went in just perfectly and it fit my TRP frame like it was born there. Fired 100’s of rounds so far and not a single problem.

Thank you.

You used a higher end SA frame which I own as well, I don't think I'd try it with anything less than a "Loaded" or Range Officer frame, there is an excellent chance that I'm mistaken.