SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Anyone else remember the early 90s? (And those Big ol S&W Autos?)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone else remember the early 90s? (And those Big ol S&W Autos?) Login/Join 
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
IIRC, Don Johnson took to the 4506, after his Bren Ten. I guess he could not get mags for the BT. Smile

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've seen and handled 4506s, but have never seen a 4505, though I've heard of them. Very nice example you have there.

Personally, never was a fan of the 3rd gen S&W semi-autos. Something about the grip shape. Tried a provided 5906 at a training course, but opted to use my 92FS instead. Was always intrigued by the 4586, though.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
God, I miss my 4506. It was a police trade-in I picked up back in 2003 for $350. Like a fool I traded it away for an Auto Ordinance 1911 because I just had to have a 1911. It is probably the one gun I truely regret parting ways with because I haven’t been able to replace it.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryarnaud:

Personally, never was a fan of the 3rd gen S&W semi-autos. Something about the grip shape. Tried a provided 5906 at a training course, but opted to use my 92FS instead. Was always intrigued by the 4586, though.

Well... Right now I am shooting the Glock pretty well... however, I still kind of desperately cling to an old school "blue steel and walnut" ethos. For all the good it does me!

Bill R

Posts: 1117 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not just any basket weave leather.... Safariland!

I carried those Cor-Bon 200 grn ashtrays in my Ruger P-90 and later, SIG P-220 when working security in Birmingham, AL.

Posts: 465 | Location: Pell City, AL. U.S. | Registered: December 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still have my 4546 that I carried and graduated from the Police Academy with in 90-91. Carried as my duty weapon many years after. Still a great pistol, and enjoy it to this day.

Posts: 9 | Registered: January 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got that beat. I bought a 1006 first chance I got. Holster (IIRC) was the Safariland O70 Level 3. 170gr Norma JHP.
Like a dumbass, I sold it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Remember them? I'm still using them! Wink

Beautiful 4505! Congrats!

I carried the 4506 on the job for several years and then went to the 4566 and 4513TSW.

Today my "back up" 4506-1 gets carried regularly when I work in a LGS on the edge of Indian Country. Fine guns that have not been surpassed by anything, for me. Enjoy that fine 45! Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
That's a beauty! I had a 645. What a boat anchor. No recoil though even with SD loads!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great guns. Hartford CT PD used to carry the 4506 (i think it was the 06-it was the 5" stainless, might have been the 4516) but i when i worked down town they were in all the cops holsters. Now you see plastic.
Sadly, this photo reminds me of a bygone era, one in which the PC was filled with professionals who took real pride in their work, where you would drive up at lunch time with a pistol for repair, they would have me wait in the lounge while they worked on it, and it would come out like new and with new nite sights for no charge as a thank you gesture.
I tried tio explain to a friend who just got into guns how it used to be and he was incredulous.

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
I carried one of those boat anchors for years. when we started thinking about a switch to a semi-auto, there was little to choose from at that time. the Beretta 92, a Sig import and the newly released S&W 659.

After a lot of discussion trying to convince our then Chief, I put together a deal with a large NJ gun shop to buy 80 of them. We paid $215 per unit.

A bit rough but they worked well except in the later years when we did find a few frame rail cracks. At that point S&W would no longer service them so they were scraped. We transitioned through into the newer 3rd. generation until the line stopped production.

Still have a few of them in the safe.

quote:
Not just any basket weave leather.... Safariland!

They had most of the market back them. But their leather weakened to the point of after a while it flopped around. their change to the synthetic type helped. Back then a security holster had a thumb snap.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first .45acp pistols I ever shot were a 4506 and a P220 that I rented at a range back in 1990. I forgot how popular S&W semi autos were back then.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Yup, good friend introduced me to shooting for the first time around 1990 with his 5906 and 469. Wow, that was a long time ago. Eek

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6996 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chief1200
posted Hide Post
I carried the earlier 645 for about 4 years on the job. Then full size H & K 45 USP. Both pretty big chunks of steel.

Posts: 76 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 27, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cummings Custom Refinishing
posted Hide Post

Still one of my favorites

Cummings Custom Refinishing offers Quality Craftsmanship at affordable prices. Fully Lic FFL's for over 30 years
OFTEN IMITATED BUT NEVER DUPLICATED
423-639-8924
www.ccrrefinishing.com

Posts: 5208 | Location: Eastern Tn | Registered: March 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I can recall visiting Rays Sport Shop in NJ in the late 90's and their gun Dept Manager, Dwight, had probably a HUNDRED, used 3rd gen Smith autos for sale. I looked at a 1006 or 1076 with 4 mags and they were like $300.

Now the mags are a hundred a pop!

The 3rd gen autos were surely under loved , except for those of us who carried them, or were Armorers. They were built like a Tank!

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
A guy in my police academy class had a 4506, while almost everyone else had Glocks. He got a lot of ribbing from the instructors about his "boat anchor".

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SGT45
posted Hide Post
I fondly remember them, unfortunately never carried one on duty. I was issued a S&W model 28 "HIGHWAY PATROLMAN" when I started in 82. The Chief had a brain fart and traded them in around '85 for Ruger Security Six's. We tested several Semi autos at the time- Sig 226, S&W 659,and Beretta. Then he was talked into Glocks in 1987 after he knew he made a mistake with the Rugers. (We had alot of Rugers go down due to timing issues and spitting lead with .357 loads)

SGT 45
P320 Compact 9mm w/ MS (3)
P320 Compact 9mm FDE
P320 Compact/Carry 9mm FDE
P320 Compact .45 w/MS
P938
P229
--- Lots of Glocks

Posts: 437 | Location: Gettysburg,PA USA | Registered: November 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
A guy in my police academy class had a 4506, while almost everyone else had Glocks. He got a lot of ribbing from the instructors about his "boat anchor".

Just out of curiosity, do you remember how he did compared to the others?

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tuesday was gone when I told her my name is the breeze.
posted Hide Post
I have a couple milk crates full of the older metal sw mags.I did not know they had gone up that much in price

Posts: 1796 | Location:  | Registered: November 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post