SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Anyone else remember the early 90s? (And those Big ol S&W Autos?)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone else remember the early 90s? (And those Big ol S&W Autos?) Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah, I was there. Along with the crew served weapon mounted lights of the day.....

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kent j
posted Hide Post
I absolutely love 3rd gen Smiths. I was lucky enough to source a 5906tsw a few years ago. It was the sample gun one of the reps took around to show. The trigger in that thing is incredible, figure the performance center must have worked on it. I would add a 4506 to my stable in a heartbeat if I could find one reasonably priced. Thanks for sharing your 4505 op.

Regards, Kent j

You can learn something from everyone you meet, If nothing else you can learn you don't want to be like them
It's only racist to those who want it to be.
It's a magazine, clips are for potato chips and hair

Posts: 294 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryarnaud:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
A guy in my police academy class had a 4506, while almost everyone else had Glocks. He got a lot of ribbing from the instructors about his "boat anchor".

Just out of curiosity, do you remember how he did compared to the others?

I do not. He wasn't Top Shot, but I know he did qualify, because everyone qualified. Even (eventually) the guy who shot the next lane's target during part of his first attempt, and then argued that he should get the points because they were in the 10 ring. He had failed to qualify with just the points on his own target.

The instructor had to point out that it doesn't matter how good your groups are if you're shooting the little old lady next to the bad guy.

(Thanks for jogging my memory... I had forgotten that story. Wink )

quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Along with the crew served weapon mounted lights of the day.....

Like the Surefire P111D? 60 blazing lumens for roughly 20 minutes. Big Grin

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of johnnyringo8769
posted Hide Post
well that is a beauty....well done

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
1. Jesus Christ
2. Our Military
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

The Republic will cease to exist when the government takes away from those who are willing to work to give to those who are not.
Unknown....

"This is what the Lord says: 'Stand at the crossroads and look; Ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.' " (Jer. 6:16)

Posts: 106 | Location: Jamestown NY 14701 | Registered: December 17, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Rogue.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tuumunz:
I have a couple milk crates full of the older metal sw mags.I did not know they had gone up that much in price

The 1000 series mags are dear...not so much the others. Mec Gar still makes mags for some of the Smith autos.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did see a blued 4505 at Bobs Army Navy store a little over a year ago , I think it was around 600 or so with the box , they did have it for a little while . I picked up a mint no box 645 and some ex mags for 10 each for 399 . The gun has a ex D/A trigger , I picked up an old Safariland leather shoulder rig from same time the gun was out . Its a shooter

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmdude:
Mine was a 4506 stainless, not a blued model. It was my personal gun and the issue gun at the time was a S&W Model 13.

Model 13 was my first gun. Sold it to my CCW instructor after qualifying with it. Kind of wish I kept it even though it would just be sitting around most of the time.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
quote:
Originally posted by tuumunz:
I have a couple milk crates full of the older metal sw mags.I did not know they had gone up that much in price

The 1000 series mags are dear...not so much the others. Mec Gar still makes mags for some of the Smith autos.
I made thousands of those magazines fot the S&W 45s and 10mm guns. Also for Model 41 and that Sigma thing. Other brands also. I loved the sound of dumping 45 and 10mm tubes in a large tumbler. Until they made their way down into the stones, the ringing was extremely loud.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some friends and I were talking about 4506s just today! Back in the early 90s, 4506s were very common in police holsters, and could be had for $450. They were fine shooters and very reliable. Nowadays, on Gunbroker, they start at $850. Too bad we didn't know then what we know now about gun value!

The 4506 has a lot of history behind it. A brother to the famous/infamous 1006 10mm, an LAPD gun, a reliable single-stack .45...I never carried one on duty (I had a W. German P220), but my buddies who used the 4506 on duty swore by it.

Posts: 1087 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbourneidentity:
The 4506 has a lot of history behind it. A brother to the famous/infamous 1006 10mm, an LAPD gun, a reliable single-stack .45...I never carried one on duty (I had a W. German P220), but my buddies who used the 4506 on duty swore by it.

That reminds me...If I'm not mistaken, I think the 4506 was the first private-purchased .45 approved for use by LAPD after the infamous Hollywood robbery shootout, at least for general use (SWAT had 1911s; SIS may have been using .45s at the time).

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSW
posted Hide Post

Congratulations on a great gun – photo too! The third generation Smith and Wesson pistols have always been a favorite of mine, especially in .45 Auto. Over the years I’ve owned several, 4506 and 4566 mostly but others as well. Every time I would sell one I would regret it and buy another. A couple of years back I lucked into this 4505, with factory adjustable sights.

Posts: 520 | Registered: June 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swage:
I have no experience with that particular handgun but I did just make it my screen saver.

Awesome picture!

I saw who the OP was & came in just for the fine photo, can always be depended on for an artfully done photo.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JSW:

Congratulations on a great gun – photo too! The third generation Smith and Wesson pistols have always been a favorite of mine, especially in .45 Auto. Over the years I’ve owned several, 4506 and 4566 mostly but others as well. Every time I would sell one I would regret it and buy another. A couple of years back I lucked into this 4505, with factory adjustable sights.
That's a fine example JSW. Sure brings back some memories for me. Same exact pistol.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
First handgun on my permit, 1986 was a S&W 645.
Great handgun, it was huge and the web between the grip and triggerguard irritated me so much I sold it for a Colt King Cobra (still have).

I passed up a blued 645 a number of years ago, I believe it was a 4505, nice handgun, it was in terrible shape.

I believed it was used in competition until it was worn out.

I like the SW Auto's, they were somewhat peculiar ergonomics wise, I find Sig Sauer more to my liking in this regards.

The 39 is a sweatheart though.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:

That's a fine example JSW. Sure brings back some memories for me. Same exact pistol.

Thanks, it is a nice one. Appears to have been shot very little.

Posts: 520 | Registered: June 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I, too, carried (in basket weave) a 645 for a little while before moving into the 5906 when i started in '91 and was paired with a cruiser mounted Smith and Wesson 3000 shotgun in our Crowns Vics along with a few Caprices. Caprices were faster, but the Vic was way more maneuverable. I was so young...too young to grow the "cop-stache". Man, this thread brings back a lot of memories, lol.

Posts: 120 | Location: Kansas | Registered: December 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
The 4006 was the best shooting of the 40S&W pistols. Made to endure! No joy to carry for extended periods.

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post