Null

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dwd1985,

Posts: 4454 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Yup,

Reminded me of the time I brought my Kimber 10mm to the range. Very early 10mm for them. Jammed so much I was tempted to throw it on the roof and walk away.

Modified the magazines to feed the ammo properly and it has worked great ever since. But only with the modified mags.

Posts: 9144 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's official Dance Professor
Picture of SRA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwd1985:

Called it a day after that, didnt want any more bad news.

Sorry to hear your bad news. Three strikes in one outing...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arcwelder,

My Fifteen Seconds of Fame

Posts: 3212 | Location: Utah, United States | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep. I have had those days. It is usually topped off by hot brass to the face and the arrival of novice shooters teaching their girlfriends to shoot, even though they don't know how themselves. It is best to call it a day.

Posts: 17225 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sometimes it just happens.

Are you sure you weren't limp wristing from fatigue? As all of them happened after 100+ rounds of no failures.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's why I got out of the 1911 platform. The unexplainable malfunctions tired me out. I have thousands and thousands of rounds thru non 1911 pistols without a single issue.
The 1911 is a cool pistol, great single action trigger, they look good, but if you want trouble free range time I think the odds favor a more modern design.

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think there's an unrealistic expectation from some that there will be zero malfunctions with a modern firearm. This is a dangerous assumption.

It's a mechanical piece of equipment, subject to failures. There are multiple variables.

I don't even consider failure to lock back to be a malfunction. There are numerous reasons it may have occurred, none of which are important, nor is the failure to lock back a big deal, either.

There are several types of malfunctions that can occur, and there are numerous reasons that they can occur, from grit in the magazine to bent feed lips to a deformed case to a poorly lubricated pistol. In such cases, the malfunctions will generally be manifest again and again. One event in many isn't a big deal; it's the reason that we practice malfunction drills. I don't think twice about a malfunction if it's a one-off and doesn't repeat.

I watched a blazing-fast grand master shooter at an event not long ago experience a malfunction. He zipped through a stage with a speed and precision that I couldn't hope to remotely match in my lifetime and would likely have set the winning time for that stage, except for his malfunction. His very expensive, highly tuned race gun had a fatal malfunction that tied him up. It happens.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
That failure to extract with the P365 could be from the aluminum case ammo. If it doesn't do it with brass, I would just simply not use that ammo in that gun.

I don't like having stoppages in my guns on the range. This seems (and is) obvious, of course nobody does, so let me explain. On some level, no matter how your conscious mind tries to explain it away, every stoppage you have diminishes your confidence in the gun, even if it was an ammo incompatibility, a single faulty magazine or some other cause and not the actual fault of the gun.

Posts: 27929 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
That failure to extract with the P365 could be from the aluminum case ammo. If it doesn't do it with brass, I would just simply not use that ammo in that gun.

I don't like having stoppages in my guns on the range. This seems (and is) obvious, of course nobody does, so let me explain. On some level, no matter how your conscious mind tries to explain it away, every stoppage you have diminishes your confidence in the gun, even if it was an ammo incompatibility, a single faulty magazine or some other cause and not the actual fault of the gun.

That's a possibility. All of my guns shoot aluminum cased ammo no problem (I haven't bought it in ages) except my CZ 75B SA which will stove pipe every other round with aluminum cased ammo.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yes, mechanical things can suck, but you’re 3 for 3.

Agree with throwing in the towel for the day.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't realize my Frankenglock 19 had a .40 ejector in it. Over 6000 rounds, I had an uncomfortable number of malfunctions. But, considering it didn't even have the right parts, it STILL had more reliability/hundred rounds than the OPs three.

Posts: 1698 | Location: USA | Registered: October 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Guns fail. They're mechanical devices designed by humans, after all.
Having said that, I see an opportunity to improve your response to the failures. Instead of trying to analyze all the whys and wherefores...see how quickly you can clear the malfunction and return to battery.
Instead of a problem, now it's an opportunity to improve your skills.
Ditch the aluminum-cased ammo, as well.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Humans fail too.
I have recently made a point of bringing 2 guns of same caliber on every range trip. Last two outings I needed to use my carry gun to complete the range trip.
First was when I had a squib load which left a round stuck in the barrel, and second time I packed my range bag with everything I was going to use except the gun I was planning to shoot! Good thing my carry was same caliber as range gun.

Posts: 394 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bakerj
posted Hide Post
brought my Daughter out one day last year with her TacSol .22 rifle, an AK74 and a Smith and Wesson 442 revolver. Her rifle ftf every other round. Switched to AK74 in 5.56 ftf every other round. OK switch to revolver two rounds then a light primer strike. Went and had some Ice Cream

Posts: 290 | Registered: January 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post