SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Dan Wesson Blems? Bought it, new question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dan Wesson Blems? Bought it, new question Login/Join 
posted
Anybody own any Dan Wesson Blemished guns? Just how blemished are we talking here.

Looking at a Valor in their duty coat.

What magwell matches best with the black finish? Does Dan Wesson sell just the Duty Treat magwell?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wolfe 21,

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a couple. There was nothing distinguishable in my opinion, and both were typical of DW 1911's; zero perceptible play in the slide, barrel link, safety, trigger, etc. Both feel like the proverbial swiss watch, both function perfectly. The two blemished DW's that I got were the DW CCO and the Heritage.

The Heritage didn't excite me a lot initially; the polished flats annoyed me a bit, but they grew on me, and the fit and overall finish of the pistol sold me. Even their "blemished" pistols were excellent.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I purchased a blem CCO.....it has a scratch on the slide...about 3/8 inch long...very noticable, but the pistol is perfect otherwise...I carry and shoot it, not an issue for me.

Posts: 44 | Registered: May 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i have had 2.

715 has a dimple mark on the trigger

my first heritage had a slight rub mark on the frontstrap.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are frequently so minor people can't find them without referring to the sheet that usually comes with them. Sometimes it's just something like missing a line of checkering. I sell quite a few of them. A recall one listed as having heavy pitting that had two pinhead sized dimples in the slide. Other ones had a minor imperfection under the grip you couldn't even see with them on. And you do get the regular mechanical warranty.

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
The blemishes vary. Most of the time it's not all that noticeable. Occasionally one can't help but notice the finish flaw. The ones that only have minute flaws typically reflects the high level of quality that DW demands of their finished product.

HOWEVER I will say that we've also had at least one 'non-blem' factory DW Valor in Duty Black come in to the shop that should've been pulled and set aside for the blemished bin. Something that we normally we've come to expect out of that other Wesson gun maker, pointedly the S&W Performance Center. We ended up selling that particular DW at a discount instead of going through the hassle (and cost) of sending it back. Very Annoying when that unfortunate shi...er, stuff...happens.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So how much less does a blemished gun cost compared to a non blemished gun? I wouldn't mind getting one if the savings are significant.

Posts: 1618 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
The 'blem' guns I've seen looked every bit as good as a non blem gun. You'd really have to look hard to find something wrong.

As to price difference, check gunbroker which usually has a number of them listed.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:
So how much less does a blemished gun cost compared to a non blemished gun? I wouldn't mind getting one if the savings are significant.

It of course varies by model, but I'd say usually anywhere from $200-$400 off the top of my head.

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alptraum:
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:

It of course varies by model, but I'd say usually anywhere from $200-$400 off the top of my head.

Interesting. I've wanted a 4.25" 1911 in .45 ACP for quite some time now. Blem wouldn't matter to me as I'd carry it. One of my requirements for a pistol is that I can CCW it.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

Interesting. I've wanted a 4.25" 1911 in .45 ACP for quite some time now. Blem wouldn't matter to me as I'd carry it. One of my requirements for a pistol is that I can CCW it.

The DW CCO is an outstanding version of the CCO; Officer length frame, commander length slide and barrel, and an alloy frame. It's light, reliable, very well fit together, and makes a great carry handgun.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good info, thanks. I'm looking at one online, so no inspection beforehand and was just curious what to expect. It sounds stupid, but this will probably turn into a carry piece if I decide to get the license. Government 1911s just work for me & Dan Wesson has been the best factory gun I've owned so far...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I've sold several and we could not find a blem on it,

the box will state it is a blem, and no warranty on the finish, but not where the blem is,

(full factory mechanical warranty)

good deals usually, and if you are going to carry, you will likely create more blems from normal holster and carry wear

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a blem V Bob stainless. Only blem I could find was some of the diamonds on the backstrap were a little flat. big deal, it's a carry gun. $ 300 went towards ammo.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1116 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with the others. The Dan Wesson line of blems, are a great buy and you might not ever know what is blemished on them. I am not a 1911 guy but the Dan Wesson line is making me change my mind. I held a blem Valor the other day at my lgs and was thoroughly impressed by it. A guy next to me was looking at it as well and asked if I had plans to buy it. I said not right now and before I could hand it back to the salesman, the other guy bought it.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
I mean no disrespect, but I don't understand why folks would buy a gun marked "BLEM." I have bought a dozen USED in great condition Dan Wessons for less than or equal to a gun that will forever be marked BLEM.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cobra21:
I mean no disrespect, but I don't understand why folks would buy a gun marked "BLEM." I have bought a dozen USED in great condition Dan Wessons for less than or equal to a gun that will forever be marked BLEM.

The pistol isn't marked "BLEM". The factory case has a sticker that says "BLEMISHED" and something about the limited warranty. The only thing on the pistol that identifies it as a "BLEM" is a letter designation at the end of the serial number ("A").

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Personally, its because i have never seen a used Dan Wesson in any of my LGSs. I like the idea of saving $400 over what my dealer wants for a new gun too.

Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
https://forums.1911forum.com/s....php?t=767506&page=2

az, Yes, I am aware and have seen a few up close.

wolfe, Well, I've not seen a used one in an LGS near me either, but I have purchsed three on this forum 'cause I love the idea if saving $400!

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DW will sell you a duty coat S&A magwell if you call them up. I have one on my blem valor and it works great and was reasonably priced for a part that matches the finish exactly.

Posts: 239 | Location: The Great Salt Lake | Registered: November 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post