SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Tribute to the Sig P239
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tribute to the Sig P239 Login/Join 
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Member here gave me a pretty good deal... $600 with five magazines. I put Crimson Trace grips on it and now it is my carry gun.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Great gun, goes down in the history books. I have one in 357 and would by another before a LOT of other newer guns.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3785 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite Sigs for sure.

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Casebrius:
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyBiker:
I decided a few years back that my 239 in .40S&W was going to stay with me permanently.
So I sent it out & had it engraved , added the Plus 1 mag bases to 6 of the 8 mags I have, bought the .357sig barrel and put on the Crimson Trace grips.
Love this little Sig.
I traded off my P245 and don’t miss it but this one I would certainly miss.

What kind of holster is that?

E-Mail sent !

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Have Camera - Will Travel
Wire Gonzo, Far Bombay
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Casebrius:
quote:
I decided a few years back that my 239 in .40S&W was going to stay with me permanently.
So I sent it out & had it engraved , added the Plus 1 mag bases to 6 of the 8 mags I have, bought the .357sig barrel and put on the Crimson Trace grips.
Love this little Sig.
I traded off my P245 and don’t miss it but this one I would certainly miss.

What kind of holster is that?

E-Mail sent !

If you don't mind sharing publicly, I would like to know as well.
Gonzo

Sometimes good people have to do bad things to bad people to prevent bad people from doing bad things to good people.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.-Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 3093 | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoverSig
posted Hide Post
I've got a P239 basic model, tarted up a bit with Trijicon HD XR sights and G-10 grips. I've also got six mags, most with +1 extensions (a mix of original ones Top Gun used to sell, and the newer versions from Galloway Precision).

It is a wonderfully accurate and reliable pistol.

The news that Sig was stopping production put me in a funk for a while, but I am keeping the pistol and may double-down and get another one if prices for used ones taper off. Why keep it? Because many people are still shooting and carrying 3rd Gen S&W autos that haven't been made for 15 or 20 years, and there are parts for them out there. The P239 is a less complex design, and many of its parts are shared with other classic Sigs. And many of those older classic Sigs are still running, too. If something breaks, I think I can get it fixed. I should probably order an extra recoil spring, just to have.

Posts: 1597 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: June 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RANGER20:
Great price They are expensive here in Commiefornia. I paid $725 LNIB doesn't appear to have been fired at all. Came with Original Box 2 mags and night sights. 9mm... I found 3 additional mags for $40 ea new. Which are hard to come by.
We can only buy one dealer inventory gun once each 30 days unless it is consigned. So I'm picking up my G21 and When the time is up I will Run the DROS for the 239. I'm glad to have one again even if I have to wait 60 days.. FNa Ca Sucks...

That sucks, man. Here (much the same as the reason SIG discontinued them), you can’t give them
Away. LGS has two that have been in the case forever. They are listed at $425, but they are running a 10 percent off on used guns sale. I’ve considered buying both and parting them out.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
That sucks, man. Here (much the same as the reason SIG discontinued them), you can’t give them
Away. LGS has two that have been in the case forever. They are listed at $425, but they are running a 10 percent off on used guns sale. I’ve considered buying both and parting them out.

Can you tell me why the factory discontinued P239? I am thinking that the development of small concealable single stack‘s such as the shield diminished sales for the 239.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mountain Walker,

Posts: 2047 | Location: East Central Toadsuck, Florida | Registered: September 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Walker:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

Can you tell me why the factory discontinued P239? Thanks

jljones’s post explains why. Aside from a few diehard Sig fans, Sig Sauer couldn’t sell enough of them to justify keeping it in production.

The era of the metal frame handgun is over. People don’t want to lug around 2+ pounds of handgun anymore.

And I say this as someone who likes the Sig classic P-series line of pistols.

Posts: 6608 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My range buddies call my P239 in 357 Sig "the laser". 2nd most accurate handgun I own behind the P210...

Posts: 114 | Location: NJ | Registered: December 09, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoverSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Broadside:

The era of the metal frame handgun is over. People don’t want to lug around 2+ pounds of handgun anymore.

That is a well-supported statement, but I'm hoping it is not completely true.

There are still some all-metal guns being made (CZ, Beretta, Sig) albeit a lot fewer than before.

Plastic frames brought down prices cost - I think it was the profit motive, even more than the weight issue, that drove the change. (Weight being particularly important for police, however). But now, 20+ years later, near universal use of CNC machining has brought down the cost of metal frames (and slides, for both plastic and metal framed guns). Take a look at the videos at Les Baer's web site (old school hand fitting, "we make them like in the 1930's") and Wilson Combat's web site (super-modern CNC machining). Both make superb 1911's; which cost less to make?

There should be room on the market for all-metal guns for those who prefer them. For many people, plastic guns are easier to carry, metal-frame guns are easier to shoot. Today's market is full of niche guns. There never have been so many variants and variations. The P-239 was a victim of its weight and low capacity, but perhaps Sig decided prematurely to squeeze it out based on intro of the P365.

It might be practical for Sig to make a run of P239's again someday, particularly if we suffer a reprise of the last gun-control act and are capped at 10 round magazines (The "Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994" had a lot to do with the P239 appearing in the first place). Sig could easily engineer a 10 round mag into a P239A1. A 10 round P239 still would be heavy, but not as big and heavy as a 10 round P226, P229, etc.

Here's hoping the P239 gets another lease on life someday. Even if most people logically prefer plastic guns.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RoverSig,

Posts: 1597 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: June 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the 239 in 357 Sig with DAK trigger , night sights , was a Gov`t issue ICE gun with a bar code etched on the slide . I loved it .

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wire Gonzo, Far Bombay
posted Hide Post
I guess my question would be, if the steel-frame single-stack is dead (or dying), why did Sig bring back the P225?

I love the P239 in .357Sig and selling it was a terrible mistake. I am thrilled to have it back. After a quarter-of-a-century working in law enforcement, much of it spent in a capacity where I am more aware than most the nature of the threat around us, even here in the US, I feel more than sufficiently well-protected carrying my P239 and 2 spare magazines. When I was assigned to New York City, working drugs no-less, my duty weapon was a single-stack 10mm, and I was quite comfortable with that. And while walking the streets of the City off-duty, I felt just as well protected with my S&W 3953.

I certainly have no qualms or disagreement with shooters who choose a higher capacity pistol over one with a lower capacity. Carry what you shoot well. I do find it ironic that some (repeat..."some") who choose to carry a higher capacity pistol for the sole reason of "more rounds" then choose not to carry a spare magazine.

I won't be getting rid of my P239 again. And if I had a little money to burn right now, I would be spending it to reaquire the Kahr K9 I wish I had never sold! Smile

Sometimes good people have to do bad things to bad people to prevent bad people from doing bad things to good people.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.-Robert A. Heinlein

Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess my question would be, if the steel-frame single-stack is dead (or dying), why did Sig bring back the P225?

This is what gets my BP up. Producing a 9mm pistol slightly larger than the one it replaces in 9mm, .40, or .357sig. Not even more capacity.
If I had p225A, I'd be buying spare parts for it right NOW. W/ the dump of the P239, it's another reason for me not to seek out a P225A other than to stick it in a dark space.

Posts: 7320 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wire Gonzo, Far Bombay
posted Hide Post
The P239 has the benefit of sharing several parts with other P series pistols. I don't know if the same applies to the P225.

posted Hide Post
I shouldn’t have opened this thread...you guys are making me want for a .357 or .40 cal P239 to go with my 9mm. Had one with both barrels and sold it to buy the 9mm. Should have ponied up the cash at the time — I like them both.

"Shoot first, shoot fast, shoot straight, shoot last." -- attribution unknown (to me)

Posts: 269 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carried a 9mm 239 as a back-up gun on body armor or ankle. While I shot it wel enough, I never really liked the pistol. Its size and weight eventually convinced me to abandon it. Fast forward several years and I was trading our remaining 9mm weapons in for additional .40 pistols. Since they were going out of inventory and ammunition was free, I put some rounds down range with a 239 with Hogue grips.

Holy crap! No wonder people really liked them!

Posts: 24 | Registered: December 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I want one in .357 so bad...

besides just buying one out right... what would be needed if it is possible, to convert a 9mm to .357?

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
I want one in .357 so bad...

besides just buying one out right... what would be needed if it is possible, to convert a 9mm to .357?

You can’t. Has to be a .40 to convert to .357. The slide for 9mm is not the same as .40/.357.

.40/.357 can, however, be switched to 9mm.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by q52star:
I purchased P239 40 Caliber month ago at a local gun show in Bay Area, Ca for $540.00 (box/3mags). Ive been carrying CCW, its super accurate. Do not notice weight issue but I'm use to carrying a firearm from my LEO time.

Welcome to the forum!
I’m working in the SBA (@ Stanford) and stay in Santa Clara.

Before I came out to California from Texas, I had an opportunity to trade for either a P229 or a P239. Both in .40 S&W.
I traded (gladly!) for the P229. It’s a 1995 model that I’ve posted pics of.

Once back in Texas, if I get another opportunity on a good deal on a a P239, (in .40 S&W or .357 Sig) I’d be tempted.

Sounds like most who have had one, have had a favorable experience with it.

Former US Army, Sgt., 82nd Abn. Div. Paratrooper,
Infantryman, (81mm Mortars) Certified Armorer

Love God, Country, & Family

Posts: 89 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: November 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post