SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock Rail Fail

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Glock Rail Fail Login/Join 
posted
The rail on my Glock 17 has cracked. Pretty signicantly also. I’ll try to get pics up. It’s probably due to how often I remove my weapon light (x300). I’m calling Glock tomorrow to discuss options. Anyone seen this before? For the record it’s my old retired duty weapon with over 10k rounds through it. Can you even repair polymer ?

posted Hide Post
Honestly, I've never seen a failure like that. Glocks are pretty durable, and 10K rounds isn't a "high" round count when it comes to them.

Just like you said, call Glock! In my experience, they have excellent customer service and will make the situation right! I think in the end, you'll be pleased.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8342 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Report This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Never heard of it happening, and 10k mileage ain't a thing. That is "lightly broke in" so to speak.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Report This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Call or email glock with pics. If you whine enough they'll send you a prepaid label. They will replace the frame for free, likely. Regardless, they will take care of you.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3210 | Registered: February 27, 2013Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cajunmuscle:
Can you even repair polymer ?
The frame would need to be replaced.

Which generation and what vintage is your pistol?

Posts: 107580 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Is the crack up the frame or across the bottom from rail to rail? Sunlight can make polymer brittle. Was it carried in a holster that has a gap for flexing on the insertion/draw?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Report This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
If it’s Gen 3 a new frame is $65-75. Or you can replace it with a polymer80 frame.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Glock will probably replace the frame for free. Usually they have 2 options. One with a different serial number that they have in stock. Or they will get one with the same serial number with a prefix or added number to note it’s a replacement frame. The Glock factory is around the corner from me, nice guys to deal with.

Posts: 268 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: July 06, 2006Report This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
Do you mind posting a pic?

I've been around Glocks a long time, and have had one E-series gun replaced by them of my own, and have sent probably a dozen guns back for various frame issues as a department armorer, but I have never heard of the railed dustcover cracking.

Glock will replace the frame, but the new one will have a different serial number (they used to put a "1" in front of your old serial number on replacement frames, but stopped doing that a few years ago).

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4198 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
OP, have you abandoned your own thread?

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
OK, locked