SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock +5/6 extensions
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock +5/6 extensions Login/Join 
posted
Anybody running Taran Tactical extensions on their glock mags? Found them on sale and thought about trying a few, but don't really know why. Do they offer a real world advantage or is it more for competition use?

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bmo
posted Hide Post
I don't have any experience with them sorry, but would like to. Care to share where they're on sale? Can send me an email if you don't want to share it here.

Posts: 2653 | Registered: November 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
Just the Taran +1 for the G43. Work great and are well made. With a +5/6 I assume they come with XP springs?

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
The Henning Glock extensions are better for everyday carry and use.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, springs are included. Sale was @ brownells. Bout $10 off & free shipping for 3+.

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting. I'm saving up for a PCC that uses Glock mags, and I had planned on getting a few of these.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
I've been using the +2's on my G43 mags, well made, function great, no issues, love the extra room for a full grip.

No idea on the larger double stack mags.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redrider1596
posted Hide Post
The real world application is more ammunition to stay in the fight. A g17 mag with Taran extension makes a nice 23 round spare mag to accompany a 17, 19, or 26.

Posts: 321 | Location: Rio Grande Valley, TX | Registered: March 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's not difficult to carry an extra magazine. It's more compact, more reliable, far less likely to fail if dropped, more concealable, and is the way the pistol was designed to function.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Sure, let me tell you my experience with Taran extensions. I bought two of the +5/6 Taran Tactical extensions. I purchased two American-made G17 magazine tubes and installed the extensions. I loaded rounds into each of them, then thumbed the rounds out. At about round number 3 coming out of the tube, the spring pressure stops and the rest of the rounds in the mag can be dribbled out by turning the mags over and shaking them.

This happens on both mags, and consistently. The mag springs are getting hung up by some projection at the bottom of these mag tubes. It has to be this.
If I stick, say, a pencil down into the tube and press on the follower, SPROING!!!! The follower pops up at full force. Once again, this happens consistently and with both magazines.

I am working under the assumption this is some quirk with the American-produced Glock mags. My response was to throw the extensions into my parts box and put standard Glock extended floorplates on these two magazines.

Very, very disappointing. Even if I get the things working, how could I ever trust these extensions as anything more than toys?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info para. Maybe I'll let this idea rest for a while.

Lost Allman Brother
Picture of S600MBUSA
posted Hide Post
Never used the Taran extensions, but I've heard enough complaints of spontaneous disassembly and the like to put me off, at least for anything serious. Customer service is supposed to be good, though, but that does you no good if these take a dump in a fight. They seem pretty popular with the gamers, though.

Magpul is making 21-rd mags for the Glock now. Still early, but reviews are promising. I have one in my range rotation, no problems, but just a couple hundred rounds so far. I only carry stock OEM mags, but I'd trust the 21rd Pmags before the Taran extensions.

-Winston Churchill, writing of the Pashtun

Posts: 3989 | Location: Holly Springs/Canton, GA | Registered: November 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with the +5/6 but I have been running the +3/4 mag extensions for about a year with zero issues. The added weight makes the empty mag drop faster and I don't mind having extra rounds in the gun.

---------------------------
And... Have a good 'un.

Posts: 279 | Registered: October 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
I have a couple, they give me 22 rounds of 9mm reloadable. No issues with them.

quote:
Originally posted by JAFO:
Thanks for posting. I'm saving up for a PCC that uses Glock mags, and I had planned on getting a few of these.

I would get a couple, but I wouldn't suggest getting that many. I prefer the Magpul 21 round mags due to the ease of cleaning over the extended Glock mags.

What I carry with me to matches:
2 * Glock 31 round magazine with TF +10 extensions
2 * Glock 33 round magazine
5 * Magpul 21 round magazine (my reloads I can get 20 reloadable)
2 * Glock 17 round magazine with TTI +6 extensions (for magnet stages mostly)
3 * Magpul 17 round magazines (I found these drop free the best for mandatory reloads)

When I am planning on which magazine to start with I prefer the Magpul mags due to ease of cleaning noted above, but I will use the magazine that gives me a 5-8 round buffer. But I always keep two of the Magpul 21 round mags with 20 rounds loaded on my belt for emergencies.

I am thinking about trying a couple of Glock 17 mags with the TF brass speed wedge to see if they drop free better, but I am thinking that lighter is better which is why the Magpul mags drop free the best. Also I am going to pick up a few of the 27 round pmags.

If Magpul makes a 40ish round mag I would be on that like a fat kid on cake.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PPGMD,

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is your opinion of the TF +10 extensions. Sounds like a lot of fun in a PCC setup. Honestly didn't know they made such a thing.

The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
What is your opinion of the TF +10 extensions. Sounds like a lot of fun in a PCC setup. Honestly didn't know they made such a thing.

They work fine, they are a handful to assemble and are likely going to be no fun to disassemble, as are most Glock extended base pads.

But if Magpul made a 40ish round magazine for Glocks I would drop them like a bad habit. As PCC guns are dirty, and combined with Florida's fine sand I know that being easy to clean is a huge feature.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will not pay twice the cost of another magazine for a magazine extension. Buy the Magpul or ETS extended 9mm mags or the Glock 22 round .40 mags if you want something longer than stock and shorter than a 33 rounder.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
I've been using +5 Arredondo extensions with Glock twenty two round mags for the last year or two, no issues with either pistols or my PCC.

PPGMD, what are these +10 TF extensions for your G31 that you speak of?

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARMT Guy:

http://taylorfreelance.com/sho...th=1&products_id=117

-------

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"

Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PPGMD:
quote:
Originally posted by ARMT Guy:

http://taylorfreelance.com/sho...th=1&products_id=117

Thank you. Smile

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post