SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Calling all: ATF Agents and/or FFLs (or wise old heads)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Calling all: ATF Agents and/or FFLs (or wise old heads) Login/Join 
Picture of JamesD
posted
Deep in my synapses, I remember being told of a "limit"
to how many FFL transfers (transferring a purchased firearm to oneself)
one could make in a given period of time.

No more than two (2) within a 7 day period?
Or... no more than three (3) within a 30 day period?
Or... whatever, I don't remember, but SOME kind of "transfers per number of days" limit.

ACTUALLY... breaking it down here:

It wasn't that there was an actual "limit".
You could transfer ever how many you wanted.

But if it was over the ATF "parameter", the FFL had to forward an additional form to the ATF, informing (ALERTING?!?!?!) them of a "high volume" buyer.

Yeah, don't that sound great.
Now you're on some kind of an ATF watch list, just because you jumped on a 4th of July or Black Friday sale and bought a bunch of guns you had been drooling over.

Does anybody KNOW of this "parameter"?
What it is?
And the name or the number of the ATF form?

I'm not in the market for guessing or speculation,
but I would LOVE to hear from anybody who KNOWS the true down and dirty about this particular ATF policy (or rule, whatever).

Thanks a million to anybody who does!

JamesD

Let us to't pell-mell.
If not to heaven, then hand in hand to hell.

- Richard III Act V, Scene III

Posts: 494 | Location: Georgia [up in the mountains] | Registered: December 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Are you thinking about the multiple handgun purchase reporting requirement?

This report is filed by an FFL to BATFE regarding the purchase by a single individual of two or more handguns (pistols or revolvers) within a five business day period.

You can see a copy of the form here:
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/d...-form-33104/download

This form does not apply in FFL to FFL transfers.

It does not apply to receivers.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Multiple purchase of handguns.
ATF"s way of identifying possible straw buyer purchase.
Don't buy 3 of the SAME model handgun.

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
Multiple purchase of handguns.
ATF"s way of identifying possible straw buyer purchase.
Don't buy 3 of the SAME model handgun.

Model is irrelevant. LDD posted the form above, 2 or more handguns (regardless of model) within 5 business days requires the multiple purchase form. You can see the details the FFL is required to submit to ATF in the form.

Posts: 760 | Location: Athol, ID | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
The requirement has been in place since the GCA of 1968. Nothing new.
In 2011, "certain rifles" was added to the reporting requirements for the states bordering Mexico (Arizona, California, New Mexico and Texas).

https://www.atf.gov/resource-c...tiple-firearms-sales

Fact Sheet - Multiple Firearms Sales

May, 2018

The Gun Control Act (GCA) of 1968 requires federal firearms licensees to report multiple sales or other dispositions of handguns to the same purchaser. In accordance with 18 U.S.C. § 923(g)(3), the sale or disposition of two or more handguns must be reported if they occur at the same time or within five consecutive business days of each other.

In August 2011, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) was authorized by the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) under information collection 1140-0100 (Report of Multiple Sale or Other Disposition of Certain Rifles - ATF Form 3310.12) to initiate similar reporting requirements on the multiple sale or other disposition of certain rifles from licensed firearms dealers in the four border states of Arizona, California, New Mexico and Texas.

In January 2018, an extension of 3 years (ending January 31, 2021), was granted for this collection.

The reporting requirements mandate that all federally licensed firearms dealers and pawnbrokers in Arizona, California, New Mexico and Texas, submit to ATF reports of multiple sales or other dispositions of certain rifles to unlicensed individuals when two or more particular kinds of rifles are transferred at the same time or within five consecutive business days of each other. The types of rifles that must be reported are those with the following characteristics: semiautomatic, a caliber greater than .22 (including .223 or 5.56 mm), and the ability to accept detachable magazines.

ATF has long used multiple sales information to detect, investigate and prevent firearms trafficking. ATF views the recovery of one or more firearms used in crimes that were part of a multiple purchase as an indicator of firearms trafficking, particularly if one of the firearms was recovered a short time after the multiple sale occurred, known as a short time–to–crime ratio.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JBird679
posted Hide Post
This was a good read about a collector who caught a really good rifle sale and decided to stock up. I could see this happening to many of us, especially in the current world of $30 stripped or $100 completed lowers from PSA et. al.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com...14/01/06/run-in-atf/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JBird679,

Posts: 987 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: March 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBird679:
This was a good read about a collector who caught a really good rifle sale and decided to stock up. I could see this happening to many of us, especially in the current world of $30 stripped or $100 completed lowers from PSA et. al.

That article is not about BATFE visiting the author over multiple gun sales, it's about them visiting the author over a gun the author sold that wound up at a crime scene in Mexico.

BATFE was just doing due diligence, tracing a single firearm that was tied to a crime.

Receivers aren't even reported on a the multiple-handgun form.

The solution to this issue is to purchase one handgun, put down a deposit on the other one, and transfer the second gun more than five business days later.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
quote:
Originally posted by JBird679:

That article is not about BATFE visiting the author over multiple gun sales, it's about them visiting the author over a gun the author sold that wound up at a crime scene in Mexico.

BATFE was just doing due diligence, tracing a single firearm that was tied to a crime.

Receivers aren't even reported on a the multiple-handgun form.

The solution to this issue is to purchase one handgun, put down a deposit on the other one, and transfer the second gun more than five business days later.

Or just buy both guns, and don’t worry about it.

The BATF and whichever local agency in your area that receives these are so inundated with these forms that they are rarely, if ever, looked at.

Until the time that your actions, by action or inadvertently, swing the big spot light around on you, it is a none issue. And then the multiple form still isn’t a big deal.

Local investigators know the patterns to look for on straw purchases. Buying several guns is just a part of it.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for clairifying that, j Jones. My FFL had it somewhat confused, which did not surprise me. Has young kids doing the forms.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Thanks for clairifying that, j Jones. My FFL had it somewhat confused, which did not surprise me. Has young kids doing the forms.

Not a problem, my man. Multiple forms are just an investigative tool, and not an indictment. I giggle sometimes when a multiple comes in where I bought two of something.

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
If you're paranoid about being on the ATF "Watch List", then do as LDD suggested, buy one every 6 days. Otherwise, buy however many you want. You're not breaking any laws, so why worry? I know I don't, even knowing for a fact that I was on their radar. Been in the exact same situation as the author of that TFB article. A couple of pistols I sold years ago (FTF, legally of course) ended up South of the border. Two ATF agents showed up at my door asking me about it for their tracing investigation. Yeah, they knew all about the guns I've been buying. The only thing I did differently was that I did not invite them into my mancave to show off my collection like the author did. I have a feeling that he did show off the guns to the ATF guys just so that he could brag about it in the article. Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And if you buy one gun, two guns, twenty, or one hundred, and sell one or some that end up used in a crime, the trace process will likely lead them to you one way or another. So buy what you want and when you want it as long as you're "the actual purchaser" and don't worry about it.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
If you're paranoid about being on the ATF "Watch List", then do as LDD suggested, buy one every 6 days. Otherwise, buy however many you want. You're not breaking any laws, so why worry? I know I don't, even knowing for a fact that I was on their radar. Been in the exact same situation as the author of that TFB article. A couple of pistols I sold years ago (FTF, legally of course) ended up South of the border. Two ATF agents showed up at my door asking me about it for their tracing investigation. Yeah, they knew all about the guns I've been buying.

Same here. Had ATF pay me a visit about 6 years ago. Said my name popped when they got my multiple purchase form. They werent really worried about the Glocks I bought as much as the an AR that showed up across the border. I didnt track private sales for uncle sam back then, stillowuldnt if I dropped my license.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JamesD
posted Hide Post
My apologies to everybody.

What do they say in the military? No battle plan survives the first engagement with the enemy.

Well... I thought I wrote a fairly clear OP.
But GOOD REPLIES always point out the "holes" in your OP.

So...
Let me add and clarify:

- I myself am not an FFL

- I live in Georgia (i.e., not in one of the Mexican border states)

- I am buying a number of bolt action "actions" (i.e., NOT semi-auto rifles OR handguns)

I just had a chance to get a crazy discount
(military + "volume" = the guy just offered me one SWEET deal)
on some bolt "actions" from one of the premier Remington 700 action manufacturers,
and so I just jumped on me a few at a good price.

They haven't shipped yet, but I was just thinking in anticipation.

So...
I looked at LLD's post and link.
As well as 12131's (hope you're doing well Q!!!)

It looks like all the ATF docs you cite relate to either handguns or semi-auto border stuff?

So... are bolt action "actions" free of any "Multiple Firearms Sales" reporting requirements?

My great thanks to y'all's help on this.

JamesD

P.S. And I understand the comments about "Just buy your stuff. Don't worry, be happy."
I just try to tread the more careful course when I can. We're all different.

Let us to't pell-mell.

Posts: 494 | Location: Georgia [up in the mountains] | Registered: December 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JamesD:
So... are bolt action "actions" free of any "Multiple Firearms Sales" reporting requirements?

"Actions" are receivers, so they don't qualify for the form: i.e. your dealer does not have to report them.

Picture of JamesD
posted Hide Post
LDD,

I just said "actions".
Actions = receivers.
I understand.

But regardless of what you call them, just trying to understand clearly here.

And forgetting about the 4 states on the southern border...

The multiple transfers reporting issue pertains to handguns only, not rifles.

Is that basically what it comes down to?

Much obliged,

JamesD

Let us to't pell-mell.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
That is what the man ( and everyone else) has been trying to tell you.

That does not mean that the FFL might not report you anyways. Gun shops often have great relationships with ATF and their TFOs out of the local field office. Guy acts weird while purchasing a bunch of actions, they make drop a dime just the same.

You can get reported for any number of reasons, it just doesn’t have to be the multiple reporting form. Straw purchases occur every day, and FFLs too Air on the side of caution.

That’s why I suggest you just buy what you want. At the absolute worst, you get a phone call or visit. I have a buddy that is an FFL at a large shop. His advice about this or that when it comes to stuff like this is “Don’t do it while sitting on a pallet of meth and you’ll be fine”. He is absolutely correct. There are too few agents at you local field office to worry about what you’re buying for lawful purposes.

www.opspectraining.com

Picture of JamesD
posted Hide Post
Well, crap.
Sorry Mr. Jones.
After my OP, so many people replied with SO much.
I was following links.
Reading stuff about cartels, and the southern border, and straw buyers.
None of which applied to me.
And was just reading too darn fast, and just missed, read right over, LDD's sentence in his very first post, "does not apply to receivers".
Sorry to be troublesome.
I try to do my best. Fall short sometimes.
Thanks for the help.
JameD

Let us to't pell-mell.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
It’s not troublesome.

There’s just a ton of bad information out there.

Most people have no idea what ATF does day to day.

www.opspectraining.com

posted Hide Post
I came back from a fire season a few years ago and had twelve or fifteen firearms waiting at the local FFL; various handguns, shotguns, rifles. I picked most of them up the same day, and had a few others trickle in later.

I'm sure someone, somewhere got notification, as I would expect. Life goes on.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post