SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New BP Pistol, Advice On Getting Started, Please
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New BP Pistol, Advice On Getting Started, Please Login/Join 
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clayflingythingy:
FYI...grafs.com has Goex available for order.

That's a gem - thanks for posting that.

The other places I knew of to get black powder have had some pretty large minimum order quantities - looks like grafs.com will sell it one pound at a time! Smile

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^ Hell, they've been getting squeezed too. Their jacketed bullet cupboard has been pretty bare for a long time, and still is.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I've got a project in the works!
I picked up a parts gun and am going to build me a fantasy revolver.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39744 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
Details? Sounds interesting!

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
I'm hoping to be able to go to a big city this weekend and see what I can source reasonably local before resorting to online shopping.

While waiting for the revolver to come in, I ordered a gated Kirst Konverter. Don't know that I'll make a loading port, but the good thing is I don't have to at the expense of removing the cylinder.

Kirst's website notes that 2020 or later stainless 1858 Uberti owners need to contact them before installing. Basically, it was that the safety notch may make the hammer travel too far forward and accelerate internal wear. However, they have a redesigned cylinder and although I ordered before contacting them (some emergency of sorts meant nobody answering phones), they told me to refuse the package and they'll send the new style cylinder. They also are going to make 1858 hands of better quality.

I also asked about ammunition, since all the conversion cylinder manufacturers say to use cowboy loads (Kirst say to use lower than 1,000 fps loads). Buffalo Bore does make a SAAMI-spec 1,000 fps load and I asked if they thought it'd be OK. BB states that load is safe to shoot in ANY handgun in good repair. They said since the revolver is stainless, it should be fine. They didn't want to speculate about that load in a regular steel frame FWIW. Kirst seems like solid folks.

Still want to primarily shoot BP, because it's something I've wanted to do since a kid, but it's good to have options, and better to know I'm not limited to cowboy loads. I'll post again when the revolver comes in. Thanks again for the help Smile

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus Dei:
quote:

I have Marzy going to pick me up some parts Saturday.
I want to cut a frame and turn a cylinder to make a Griswald with cartridge conversion.
Black powder loads only.
Deercreek has a selection of BP parts.

Posts: 39744 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I want to cut a frame and turn a cylinder to make a Griswald with cartridge conversion.
Black powder loads only.
Very cool; a G&G conversion. If BP shooting agrees with me, I'd like a Dance Brothers for the local connection.

Shaman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I know where a frame is! For $50!

Black powder loads only.
Very cool; a G&G conversion. If BP shooting agrees with me, I'd like a Dance Brothers for the local connection.

Shaman
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]Very cool; a G&G conversion. If BP shooting agrees with me, I'd like a Dance Brothers for the local connection.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

I know where a frame is! For $50!
It was basically a Dragoon with no recoil sides.

Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post

Edit: Sportsman's Guide moved anticipated in-stock to middle of June Frown

posted Hide Post
I shot black powder for a long time in cowboy action, both cap and ball and cartridge guns, and never did a detail strip of my guns for regular maintenance and never had any problems.

Posts: 3286 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
Been pushed back to ETA 9/1/21 Red Face

Shaman
posted Hide Post
There's a real Whitley at a show we want to pick up.
It's an Apache conversion gun!