SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Best 22lr for a 226 with a conversion kit
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best 22lr for a 226 with a conversion kit Login/Join 
posted
Just picked up a 22 conversion kit for my 226. Anyone have recommendations on best ammo for it? Thanks!

Posts: 183 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mini mags

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have shot about 4-5k rounds through my 22lr p226 over the past 5 years and I have shot everything and once your conversion gets broken in it will handle just about any high velocity round.

But until it is broken in I will second mini mags. That is all mine would shoot for the first 1k round or so. I would get a ftf about every 20 rounds or so with anything but mini mags

Posts: 550 | Location: Texas | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine is a 229. It likes mini mags and Aguila high velocity and super X. It does not like anything Federal.

Posts: 241 | Location: Texas | Registered: December 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Min Mags. Price has come down. PSA had them for 6.99 per 100. The other stuff I shoot through my rifles and Ruger SR22. I have a Sig 226 with conversion kit.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Factor8:
I have shot about 4-5k rounds through my 22lr p226 over the past 5 years and I have shot everything and once your conversion gets broken in it will handle just about any high velocity round.

But until it is broken in I will second mini mags. That is all mine would shoot for the first 1k round or so. I would get a ftf about every 20 rounds or so with anything but mini mags

I got light strikes at about one out of 20-30 rounds for first five hundred rounds. Since then smooth sailing. Used mini mags at first. Now she will eat all I've tried with it. Usually federal auto match. Nice thing about the DA/SA, when it didn't go bang at fist I'd just pull DA shot second time. No need to rack or clear it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ But I like a good rack! Big Grin

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mini-mags to start with. After the gun is broken in you can try other ammo. Each gun is different.

Rules for .22 LR conversion units:

1) Start with CCI MiniMag HV ammo. The gold standard. Usually, if a gun doesn't run with MiniMags, there is a problem other than ammo selection. Then, after break-in, try other ammo. You might get lucky with some less expensive stuff.

2) Most units require a break-in period. Don't pass out if you have some malfunctions during your first one or two range trips.

3) Clean, inspect and lube after EVERY range session. The .22 is a low powered round with very little margin for error. If the slide is slowed due to grunge, you'll have problems. Do NOT use grease on the rails.

4) If having problems after the above, inspect every contact part of the slide for burrs or irregularities. Or, before you use the unit.

Conversions are generally less reliable than dedicated .22's. This is due to the design restraints. The frame is designed for a centerfire and the conversion slide must be designed to operate within those parameters.

Finally you may have ignition problems with RP mainsprings. I use 18# on my P226. Will occasionally fail to ignite using the .22 conversion. Very few failures with 19#, none with standard 22#.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
For my P220 I have found that 40 grain RN or HP bullets work the best. I also run it very wet.

Posts: 12434 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I bought a P226 in 22lr and it runs just fine on Aguila SV.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post