SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P210 American Target Accuracy Loads
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P210 American Target Accuracy Loads Login/Join 
posted
I have just purchased a new 210 target and love the gun. I am developing reloads with 115 hollow points and truncated cones using 4 to 4.2 grains of tight group powder. I have also tried rem 124 hollow points and cant seem to get much better than 2" sand bag rest groups at 25 yds. Anybody having similar groups? I think that the 210 should be more accurate that that, or am i wrong?

Posts: 2 | Registered: January 14, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I don't reload and don't intend to ever do. And, I don't even buy match grade ammo anything. But, this thread comparing the American P210 against the German and Swiss guns showed that the American did just fine. Wow, it's already been over 2 years since I did the testing. Time sure does fly. I no longer own the trio.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/4320043434

Welcome to SF.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the welcome. I've got a 938, 226,229, M11 and love them all. I just expected the 210 to shoot a little tightergroups than around 2"...Maybe there is a reloader on the forum who has found the magic load...tnx

Posts: 2 | Registered: January 14, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
phantomgib, can you click on the red link posted by 12131?

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found mine to shoot best (out of about 20 different loads) with 147 grain jacketed flat pount Speer rounds. These have shot into one hole at 15 meters indoors and about 1.5” at 25 meters, from sandbags. In a ransom rest, i expect about .75” at 25 with the same load. Comparable to my Les Baer 9mm full size 1911 (at 2.5x the price).
Try 147 grain in yours. I think you will like the results.

Posts: 11 | Registered: February 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Squidsix:
I found mine to shoot best (out of about 20 different loads) with 147 grain jacketed flat pount Speer rounds. These have shot into one hole at 15 meters indoors and about 1.5” at 25 meters, from sandbags. In a ransom rest, i expect about .75” at 25 with the same load. Comparable to my Les Baer 9mm full size 1911 (at 2.5x the price).
Try 147 grain in yours. I think you will like the results.

For accuracy I'd try 147 grain loads as well at subsonic speeds perhaps.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From the Encyclopedia of Bullseye Pistol website's reloading page...
Encyclopedia of Bullseye Pistol

A Load for the 9mm Service Pistol

Here is a 9mm load that David Sams has been using for testing Beretta 92 barrels and his completed guns that has been proven sub 1.5" groups at 50 yds is as follows:

* Starline brass
* 115gr Hornady FMJ-RN bullet
* 6.0 - 6.2gr Alliant Power Pistol powder
* Rem #5 1/2 SP primers
* O.A.L. -- 1.120" no-crimp

Out of a barrel test fixture using Bar-Sto barrels groups have consistently run between .975" to 1.5" averaging about 1". Through David's completed 92F's, he claims that they have been running 1.3" - 1.5" as a reminder these are hand-loaded.

For a 9mm, about as good as you can get.

Posts: 116 | Location: State of Confusion | Registered: August 15, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A fellow on the S&W Forum, who went by the name PPCShooter, reported that for the long line (50 yards), you need virgin brass. For the 25 yard line, one fired will work just fine. The key was the uniform neck tension on the virgin brass made for a more consistent load.

Since he was quadruple distinguished, I tended to pay attention to his advice.

Posts: 116 | Location: State of Confusion | Registered: August 15, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
You might check this thread Match-Grade 9mm Ammo? for candidates.

In other threads I've noted I was disappointed I wasn't able to do better with my P210A than I had. I finally determined those big target grips didn't suit me well.

Then, in dry-fire practicing with my new Kimber Custom II 10mm and a laser practice device, I just couldn't get as consistent with it as I felt of which I should be capable. I found the problem I was having with it was my grip.

Last night I fetched the P210A out of the safe and applied what I'd learned with my Kimber. Lo and behold: The laser dot is now going right where it should. So, in my case, it wasn't the pistol's grips, but my grip.

Can't wait to get it back to the range and see what I can do with it now.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From The Firing Line Forums in 2015 (https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=556999):

The data used were from the Hodgdon annual reloading update.

The two test guns were a "Springfield Armory PPC match 6" barrel and a Kimber Team Match with 5" barrel, both shot from Ranson Rests all @ 25 yards. the sprinfield surprisingly proved more accurate in every bullet combo.

Lets start with the absolute "most" accurate load. *note, this is a Hodgdon mag, so all powders were Hodgdon's. All 25 yards

115gr groups
#1 .41" with Sierra JHP/TiteGroup 4.6gr
#2 .77" with Nosler JHP/Titegroup 4.8(note MAX pub data)
#3 .89 with Hornady XTP/HP38-231 4.7gr. 4gr below max
the best three groups were all produced from the springfield

125gr Groups
#1 .44" with Hornady XTP/CFE pistol 5.2gr (mid-powder load)
#2 .52" with Sierra JHP/CFE pistol 5.2gr
#3 .57 with Sierra JHP/CFE pistol 5.5gr(max)

147gr Groups
#1 .58" with XTP/HS6 4.4gr(low on spectrum)
#2 .61" Hornady FMJ/HS6 4.7hr(mid)
#3 .70" Hornady FMJ/CFE 4.2gr(low)

posted Hide Post
The last post sort of confirms what I have found for a long time, that 9mm’s tend to shoot best with 124 grain bullets. Every 9 have have owned ( a couple dozen over the years) has shot a bit to a while
Lot better with 124 grain bullets compared to 115 or 147.
I do reload but with 9mm so cheap and with no current tack driver in my inventory I haven’t bothered in years. I recently picked up some Swiss RUAG 124 match ( RWS branded box) and some double tap 124 grain match and with my stock Glock can produce 2” 25 yard groups which I feel is about the limit of what a Glock is capable of. In a target grade pistol I imagine it could do much better

Posts: 3291 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My P210A works best (i.e. best groups) with blazer or S&B 124, as do most of my 9’s. The exception is my Shadow 2 which likes 115’s better... and Fiocchi at that. Took me a while to figure that out.

Posts: 241 | Location: Texas | Registered: December 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know anything about you or your reloading skills or shooting(not a knock). How about tossing some decent factory match ammo in the gun and tell us where the gun is accuracy wise. I'd expect better, and the ones I have generally do better than 2" from a rest, but its really a clone of a military firearm that's 70 years old so I don't get too excited about accuracy. But in any case let us know how the gun does with some top quality commercial ammo. I don't run titegroup but many do, but mild charges of 231 seems to give me a good solid accurate load (details available if you care).

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blaque Jacque Shellaque:
A fellow on the S&W Forum, who went by the name PPCShooter, reported that for the long line (50 yards), you need virgin brass. For the 25 yard line, one fired will work just fine. The key was the uniform neck tension on the virgin brass made for a more consistent load.

Since he was quadruple distinguished, I tended to pay attention to his advice.

I used to shoot a lot of PPC as well and there's no need to use virgin brass. I never used anything other than once fired for my match ammo and from a ransom rest my 210s shot 7 shot groups under 1" at 50 yards.
Mixed brass does make a difference, but once-fired brass of good quality wont make a noticeable difference compared to virgin brass.

I never noticed much of a difference between bullet weights either, I have loads with everything from 147s to 115s that grouped about the same at 50. What matters more, esp for the 210, is to find the sweet spot for max accuracy. In general, 210s like 'em hot.

Posts: 551 | Location: California | Registered: July 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
What's the twist rate on the P210 barrel? The reason I ask is both my BHP and Beretta 92 have a 1\10 twist rate, and both like 115 grain bulets. My SA 9mm 1911 has a 1\16 and likes 124gr and 147gr rounds, but struggles a bit with 115gr rounds. KKM barres are 1\32 and people are having good results with 147's. I stumbled across a thread on another board, (can't remember which one), where the author was experimenting with 147gr rounds at 38 wadcutter velocity. The 38 special wadcutter round is 148gr and is accurate at around 720 FPS. The author reasoned that there was no reason why the jacketed147gr round shouldn't be accurate at the same velocities.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 210 likes 147 grain as others mentioned. At least mine does.

Posts: 255 | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post