SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    M11A1 did not love Federal 147gr HST ammo
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M11A1 did not love Federal 147gr HST ammo Login/Join 
posted
I have had my 9mm M11A1 4 years and total round count is 2000 +/-. I have never experienced any FTF or other malfunctions with it. Recently, I tried some 147 grain Federal HST ammo. I had 4 FTF over 26 rounds, 2 each over a 13 round magazine. Different spots each time. Previously, I have always shot 115gr and 124 grain ammo. I have used the same 147gr ammo in my Legion 226 have not had any issues.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Posts: 140 | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you using the older 13rd magazines or the 15rd magazines the gun was designed to use?

Posts: 239 | Registered: April 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbacker_99:
Are you using the older 13rd magazines or the 15rd magazines the gun was designed to use?

All Sig 15 rounders. I had just loaded them to 13.

3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
FWIW, The 147 HST I tried was very soft shooting, even though it was +P. I chronographed some. In my SIG MK 25 with 4.4" barrel it only averaged 986FPS. I haven't used the non +P version, but can only imagine that it is slower yet. Within my humble experience, some of this low energy ammo displays marginal functional reliability in some pistols....ymmv

NRA Life

Posts: 1561 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Those sub sonic rounds have a reduced charge to stay below 1100 fps. I can forsee failures in a 229, especially with a light grip, with sub sonic rounds. Spring weight and slide mass play a role as well

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
Those sub sonic rounds have a reduced charge to stay below 1100 fps. I can forsee failures in a 229, especially with a light grip, with sub sonic rounds. Spring weight and slide mass play a role as well

Not in this case. The reason this particular ammo is subsonic is that it is 147 grain 9mm round.

Posts: 239 | Registered: April 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Please describe the malfunction in detail. Three point jam? FTF is a broad term.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for your inputs.

I definitely don't have a light grip. That is not the issue. I would describe the failure as a nose up failure to chamber. So the previous case clears fine, the next round is partially stripped but only makes it half way to the chamber and jambs in an angle up position.

Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
453030, do you have a caliper, digital or otherwise? Measure the overall length of the 147’s and compare that number to rounds that you know function. OA length is probably what your running into. Some firearms can’t handle the bigger (longer bullets).

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by beltfed21:
453030, do you have a caliper, digital or otherwise? Measure the overall length of the 147’s and compare that number to rounds that you know function. OA length is probably what your running into. Some firearms can’t handle the bigger (longer bullets).

I have an architectural measuring tool I can use. Good idea, I'll check on it. Thanks my friend.