SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Does anyone Carry a 229 in .357 SIG?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone Carry a 229 in .357 SIG? Login/Join 
Thermonuclear Vulcan
Picture of Zebulon
posted
I'm about to buy Leather for my 229SAS in 9MM. I think I'd rather carry the same pistol in .357 SIG. Does anyone else share my enthusiasm? I've owned both a 239 and an HK USP Compact in that caliber but never carried them. Any thoughts? Zebulon

Posts: 2761 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: November 19, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
Over the winter months, I’ve been known to carry my P229R DAK in .357sig in a crossbreed IWB

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Carried a 229 then a 229R in .357 SIG the last several years I was on the Hwy Patrol. Always felt very well armed.

When I did the Gov's EP duty and wore a suit everyday, carried the same gun, in a Milt Sparks rig. Think; Good, solid BELT.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
yup, 1994 version for me. GrayGuns ACP work, and a BarSto match 9mm for good measure. Ameri-glo "Spartan Operator" sights (orange HD front, black notch with tritium lamp rear).

But I carry it with stock .357 Sig barrel and 1 spare mag. Comp-Tac MTAC holster.

P229 for when I'm feeling froggy, or a bit nervous. G26 the rest of the time.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a P229 SAS in 357 Sig and just love it! However.......fully loaded with 125 grain bullets, it tilts in at 38.5 Oz. I also have the HK P2000 in .357 Sig and fully loaded with the same 125 grain bullets, it weighs in at 33.6 Oz. Only a 5.1 Oz difference in weight, but the ergos and thinness of the P2000 are better in my hand than the Sig P229. I will not get rid of my P229, but for CCW, my P2000 wins for me. Others may have different results and opinions.

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
I carry .357 SIG almost exclusively. Love the round! Normal EDC (85%) is a G32, but I do alternate with a P229.

Posts: 1718 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I used to but ended up just carrying Glocks. It's cheaper for me to replace the 32 if it gets taken as evidence. Also my duty weapon is a Glock 31 so it sort of makes sense (to lawyers I guess) if my off duty resembles my on duty. My P229 is just a plinker now.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
DAK P229 in 357 SIG virtually every day.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes a gen 2 229 sas at least 3 times a week.
229 + .357 sig is a great combo!

Posts: 24 | Location: FT Smith | Registered: January 13, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
I carry an P229 in 357 Sig, in a Fist 1AK(ultra thin kydex). I use a 1 1/2" Wilderness belt with the insert and it carries just fine. I also carry at least 1 reload at all times as well.

Good luck

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1851 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
That combo is (currently) popular with the Federal Air Marshal Service. Wink

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4988 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And every U.S. Secret Service agent packs a P229 loaded with .357 Sig ammo.......

Posts: 248 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: November 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know the Virginia State Police carries the P229 in .357sig but it is the DAK version.

I never had much experience with the .357sig round, and wanting to experiment I bought a barrel from a forum member for my P229 earlier this year.

The P229 has been my duty weapon and off duty/beside gun for years but chambered for the .40.

Now I want to branch out and get a barrel for my P239 that is chambered for .40.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
229 DAO 357 Sig in a Sneaky Pete holster in Winter

Posts: 118 | Location: Hampton, VA / Salvo, NC | Registered: June 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry a 229 loaded with 125 gr Gold Dots in a VMII a lot. After a few minutes I do not know it's there. I am very fond of the 357 Sig round. It is a blast to shot (pun intended). After you learn how, it's not that hard to reload. It just takes a little time and effort.

_________

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

Henry Ford

Posts: 724 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I had intended to give it a try, but have been unable to find the P229 I'd like for the price I'm willing to pay, so I've put it on the back burner.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
During the colder months I'll occasionally carry an old school 229 in .357SIG.
Now that I'm coming back into the DA/SA fold more, it'll probably get carried more.

Posts: 12537 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
The only two pistols in my CCW rotation are a P229 .357 Sig and a P239 9mm. Obviously the size advantage goes to the 239 but I do like having the 229 with me a bit more.

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
I used to but ended up just carrying Glocks. It's cheaper for me to replace the 32 if it gets taken as evidence. Also my duty weapon is a Glock 31 so it sort of makes sense (to lawyers I guess) if my off duty resembles my on duty. My P229 is just a plinker now.
. That's a pair of Glocks I highly admire. A non railed P229 in 357 Sig would be all business and easy to carry.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I had intended to give it a try, but have been unable to find the P229 I'd like for the price I'm willing to pay, so I've put it on the back burner.

I've been casually keeping my eyes out for a CPO P229 in 357SIG for a couple years now, no joy. I don't think TGS has had one in several years, and frequently doesn't even have new ones.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post