SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    How to lube the sear of a P226 X5?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to lube the sear of a P226 X5? Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
For two of my pistols, I lube their sears this way: With the gun field stripped, I put a bit of lube into the full-cock and/or the intercept notch. That lube will transfer to the sear.

But with my X5 Comp field stripped, neither of those notches are accessible. I’m wondering if this might work: With the hammer cocked, put some lube onto the blade of a small screwdriver, then put the oily blade as far as possible down the hammer strut. Maybe, over time, that lube would work its way down far enough that the sear would pick it up.

Comments or suggestions, please.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8941 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sea Bass
posted Hide Post
Maybe some spray lube with a long red straw (not sure what it’s called, applicator maybe) to get it more of where you want it instead of all over. Balistol comes in a spray can and I think CLP does too.
SB

"Shohna ba Shohna - Shoulder to Shoulder"

Posts: 1645 | Location: Knox/Etown KY | Registered: June 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You could also use a long handled qtip with lube on it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just drop oil on the axis part of the hammer and tilt it down a little. Should run down to the sear, right? Wait a minute for it to migrate then work the trigger a few times. Wipe away any excess.

I think the proper way is to apply grease during a detail strip. But it seems to me all the grease is just gonna be pushed out to the sides, so why not just do oil?

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take the grips off and you should be able to get a drop in there from the side.

Posts: 204 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8941 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No lube needed. In fact, it could do more harm than good.

Posts: 117 | Registered: August 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post