SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock CS... I swear they said this!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock CS... I swear they said this! Login/Join 
posted
So I picked up the new G19X on Saturday(my first Glock). With a hectic weekend ahead, I rushed home, loaded up a couple mags, and proceeded to dump just to verify function(and to say I shot my new Glock). Anyway, Sunday afternoon the youngster and I proceed to hang a couple of targets to see how accurate it is. 35' not even on 12"x12" paper??? Youngster gives it a run... still not on paper. After a closer look we notice the rear sight is pushed all the way right so far its flush with the edge of the frame! Yeah, I know something like that should have been more noticeable but to be honest I wasn't really looking for it. Anyway, on the Phone first thing Monday with Glock looking for an RMA to send in and and the CSR says "Well we always offset our sights a little to the right to compensate because most right handed shooters tend to push to the left" WTF?!?!?!? Maybe they can set it up to keep me from shooting low too? lol...

Posts: 269 | Registered: August 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tompow:
CSR says "Well we always offset our sights a little to the right to compensate because most right handed shooters tend to push to the left"

Not the first time I’ve read that. Our own jljones discusses it (shooting left, not the misaligned sight) in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...Yu3koF4o&app=desktop

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it shouldn't have come like that. But there's no need to ship it all the way back to Glock... You can re-center the rear sight with a sight pusher, or even just a hammer and punch.

Even if you don't have the tools or comfort level to do it yourself, it's a trivial thing for a gun store or gunsmith to do. Literally a 30 second job.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Almost flush with the frame? Shouldn't that be almost flush with the slide, since that's what the sight if in direct contact with?

As for CS; the last time I called (regarding a cracked MOS mounting plate) I got a jerk of an operator. But ultimately he offered to send me a new set of mounting plates which I accepted, never mind that I'd already ordered a set from their online store (you can never have too many I thought, plus given his rudeness he made it easy to accept something I didn't actually need). Your operator was somewhat correct about the 'shooting left' observation; righties who call CS to complain about their "off-target" Glocks are likely always complaining about being off to the left (and probably mostly low as well). Poor trigger control with that safe-action tab; a couple of years back a former coworker was having the same issue and declared his G19G4 a piece of shit. I then shot it and asked what was the problem again. At least he immediately recognized what the real cause was without me having to say it outright.

As for the sight being so far off to the right I would question whether the sight is even fitted correctly; the CS rep is being disingenuous and an ass by saying "they always push them off to the right", since with almost all Glocks they come in with the rear sight centered. We have encountered on rare occasion a Glock with the rear off-kilter, but that could just as easily be off to the left rather than to the right. I've noted that sometimes a solid 'thwack' on the rear plastic sight will cause the sight to move; they aren't the most tightly fitted.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
I've noted that sometimes a solid 'thwack' on the rear plastic sight will cause the sight to move; they aren't the most tightly fitted.

The G19X comes with metal factory night sights, not the usual plastic "dovetail protectors".

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have definitely seen this discussed multiple forums- apparently glock did a run of pistols with sights not centered. This is the first time I heard of it on a 19x though

Posts: 3269 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I don't have the 19X but I have three Gen 5 Glocks. The first one I picked up had the rear sight way off center to the right. The other two were centered. I never had off-center sights from the factory on any of the earlier generation Glocks, so I seriously doubt they did it on purpose.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never bought any gun with the sights zeroed to my liking. It doesn't make a difference if I have to move them 1/16" or 1/8", I just move them until I'm happy.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To piggyback on rich’s Statement I like to remind people ( and this is a shining example for sure) very few pistols get test fired for accuracy or “zeroed” at the factory. Yes some classic pistols like older sigs walthers or colts came from the factory with test targets but that is certainly not the industry standard. Most pistols have sights driven in doevtails by machine or human assemblers with a eyeball approximation of good enough. I usually have to make minute windage adjustments on most of my pistols some a hair left other right. Just the reality of working with a mass produced product that has a certain set of acceptable tolerances- some will simply be at the outside edge of a tolerance and require a bit of tweaking

Posts: 3269 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you just adjust the rear sight. its so easy

Posts: 503 | Registered: January 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can knock them into center myself but was just hesitant to take a chance on banging up my new slide on day two....what really perplexed me was the whole setting it off center from the factory. I don't understand the reasoning...you can set the sight anywhere you want but if you push the shot you push the shot! Plain and simple. I understand drifting a sight like I've done on a couple old 30-30's that "shoot" left but wouldn't setting a sight off center to compensate for a pull or push just make you miss center by even more?

Picture of Pittwm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by Tompow:
CSR says "Well we always offset our sights a little to the right to compensate because most right handed shooters tend to push to the left"

Not the first time I’ve read that. Our own jljones discusses it (shooting left, not the misaligned sight) in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...Yu3koF4o&app=desktop
yup, it’s being to apply the correct pressure on front strap into the back strap issue.

Posts: 5445 | Location: Paducah KY | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
but wouldn't setting a sight off center to compensate for a pull or push just make you miss center by even more?

No. Say someone consistently pushes their shot 2" left at a given distance. If you drift the sight so that when they have the sights lined up on the bull's eye the barrel is actually pointing so that a perfect press would hit 2" right...you end up with them hitting where their sights are pointing.

And, as to sights not being centered, yeah. My (and several other) folks got the 17M with the sight not centered. Mine wasn't bad, about 1" at 10y until I had the armorer center it, but some were off more.

Posts: 139 | Location: Indiana | Registered: June 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
So you’re saying Glock has determined that their customers cannot shoot their pistols correctly and is attempting to address that by modifying the firearm making it unusable for a decent shooter?

I’ll stick with Sigs.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just wondering if the sight is loose in the dove tail ?

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Somewhere I have an e-mail from Glock saying the exact same thing. I have a G23 that shot to the left. I kept drifting the rear sight to the right and by the time my group was centered on the X ring the rear sight was flush with the right side of the slide. I contacted Glock but they wouldn't do anything for me because the gun came with the plastic sights, and I put Trijicon's on. The pistol has been 100% reliable and is accutate so I just ran with it.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick B:
Just wondering if the sight is loose in the dove tail ?

100% tight...

Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Old timer here, to resolve that very problem I purchased a sight pusher many years back.it was necessary because I bought quite a few guns.
My shooting is weird,right hand,left eye and in tri focal s.
The glok thing is not new,youngest son joined the police force many years ago,his issue gun rear site was like op described on a glok 22 model.
His armor convinced him that nothing was wrong.
I said bull shit,and I purchased him another model 22.He shot much better.This was his back up and allowed but not furnished.
I adjusted sights on his carry weapon, and the both shot the same in my little basement range.
This kid was an excellent shot as I started him out when he was eight years old with a model 36 s/w,he's forty now.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First thing I do with any new Glock is trash the plastic sights.
My one big complaint with Sig and Glock (especially Sig) is that night sights are not factory standard.
I have never understood plastic sights.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
First thing I do with any new Glock is trash the plastic sights.
My one big complaint with Sig and Glock (especially Sig) is that night sights are not factory standard.
I have never understood plastic sights.

Good thing about the G19X... Factory installed steel night sights!