SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    VALUE ADDED FOR A COMPLETE PACKAGE
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

VALUE ADDED FOR A COMPLETE PACKAGE Login/Join 
posted
How much of a premium is added to a pistol such as the 2004 NSW P226 when the entire package is complete? How much is the Certificate of Authenticity worth as part of the complete set? How much should be subtracted if it is missing? Or other items, do they add or subtract much? I assume all this would have an impact on whether the pistol is unfired, slightly used vs. obviously used.

I am trying to gage these questions keeping in mind the recent sale of such pistol here on this forum. I think I would like to purchase one of these but honestly not sure about value. I do not mind paying a fair price for something that is a true example, assuming there is an intrinsic value.

Any input would be appreciated, thank you in advance, Ambush

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

If the enemy is in range, so are you...

Posts: 185 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: May 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
They made lots of those. If you plan on shooting it then it doesn’t really matter. If you want it for a collectors item it’s not some rare breed that will be worth a ton. If it has some sentimental value because you carried one in the navy or something then the value is in your eyes. I don’t think you are going to find quantifiable value on the items you mentioned.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Some people put great value in these NSW P226s. To others, maybe some. And still others, to them, it's just a P226. Me, I'm just lukewarm about it. So, it's a wide range. I've seen these go for anywhere from $850 to $1200, complete with everything, and in excellent condition. I know it's no help to you, but that's just how it is.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
They made lots of those. If you plan on shooting it then it doesn’t really matter. If you want it for a collectors item it’s not some rare breed that will be worth a ton. If it has some sentimental value because you carried one in the navy or something then the value is in your eyes. I don’t think you are going to find quantifiable value on the items you mentioned.

If we're talking about a true P226 "Navy" P226-9-NAVY NSW prefix then there were only 2000 made. I guess the word "lots" means different things to different people...but in my mind, given the demand for this model, I consider it a limited release. I have little doubt that SIG could have increased the number by at least a thousand and still sold them.

I do agree with the point that the value largely depends on whether you are buying it simply to shoot it, as a gift for someone who it will mean something to, or for collection purposes.

If we are talking in more general terms regarding collectability, the more complete a package is the more value it maintains.

It would be interesting to see if there is some blue book value specifically on this model. To evaluate the value you would also need to inventory what came with the original package and decide whether you would put a dollar value on the individual items. For instance, would you put a dollar value on the pistol lock, TW-25B sample, and the SOWF contest form...and if these items were missing from the package would that prevent you from buying it?

As someone who is interested in the P226 and the "Navy" I would consider paying a small premium for an unfired complete package. I'd pay less of a premium for a gun that was fired. I would pay less for a gun that was fired and the package incomplete.

But, as with all things, it comes down to what the buyer and seller agree to price wise.

I've seen the P226-9-NAVY range wildly in prices over the years, given demand and general market conditions... from a steal @ $650- $1450.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ I concur with this. I don’t have a NSW, though I have one of the ones released afterwards (no rail, U serial number) and it came with a certificate as well though it was reportedly accidentally put in there as it was not the original NSW run. Was it a contract overrun? I’m not sure and frankly I don’t care. It is complete wth all that came with from the factory. I love the pistol and wouldn’t part with it for anything less than a ridiculous amount of money. Is it worth it? To me yes, as they are no longer made and compared to a lot of stuff that Sig puts out these days, the older stuff is much more desireable to me and I believe commands a premium. Just my opinion.

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your response.

I have had a passing interest in this pistol over the years but never found the circumstances ideal to buy. My interest was peeked again yesterday as I was alerted to a NSW pistol on an auction website. When I first looked at the offering the bid was around $450, however some items were missing. Today my interest has been over come by events, one of which is the more than doubling of the current bid.

I will continue to keep an eye out for one, with a better understanding of the market provided by the information you have provided. Thank you…

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

If the enemy is in range, so are you...

Posts: 185 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: May 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post