SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    I hate MIM...now with a passion
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I hate MIM...now with a passion Login/Join 
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted
Wanna know what happens when you drop a "steel" Glock MOS plate onto a concrete floor?

It cracks. At least my #2 plate did. Opening up the #$@!%! adapter plate packaging for the first time, two of the plates slipped out and hit the basement slab. One survived, the other (#2) less so. The crack goes all the way through to the bottom side facing away from the camera, but surprisingly the plate didn't shatter in two and is still intact. Hanging on by a thread I guess.

Naturally this is the plate that I'll be needing for my RMR. One of those 'GRR' moments...

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
MIM, you'll never get a 2nd chance to make the 1st impression. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep. I did consider that fix. For a brief moment. I've got some good ol' JB in my shop that gets called upon from time to time.

But in the end I sucked it up and ordered a new plate set from Glock, among other goodies to offset their $7.85 shipping. I just gotta be more careful next time. Or carpet the basement before the care package arrives...

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
Did you ask Glock to just replace it? In my opnion that is not abuse. Yeah you dropped it but that short fall should not have yielded that result. Seems like a product failure to me.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
But all the hysteria about MIM is nonsense and quality MIM is just as good as blah blah blah ....yeah MIM sucks and I don't care what anyone says.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Green Highlander:
Did you ask Glock to just replace it? In my opnion that is not abuse. Yeah you dropped it but that short fall should not have yielded that result. Seems like a product failure to me.

I came to the same conclusion as well, since the other plate didn't crack. But for the pending hassle of complaining to Glock CS, I wanted to get the replacement in my hands sooner than later. At some point I may try asking nicely and see if they'll send a replacement.

I also should've mentioned that I tried mounting the cracked plate onto the gun. It didn't fracture into two, but absolutely zero confidence that it would last with even a simple slide rack and release into battery (which I didn't try). After that I put my RMR on it as well. At least I now armed with the knowledge that it would probably work okay as a plate for a static MOS installation.

Steamed I still am...cheap ass MIM sucks.

Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
I recently purchased a used G17 MOS of which the previous owner had lost the 1 out of 4 plates I needed for my optic.

I called Glock and told them exactly that, purchased used, previous owner, the true story. I just wanted the part number, or a way to purchase another plate. The rep asked me for my mailing address and sent me a new plate absolutely free, no postage or any charges. It arrived at my door 2 days later.

Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
I recently purchased a used G17 MOS of which the previous owner had lost the 1 out of 4 plates I needed for my optic.

I called Glock and told them exactly that, purchased used, previous owner, the true story. I just wanted the part number, or a way to purchase another plate. The rep asked me for my mailing address and sent me a new plate absolutely free, no postage or any charges. It arrived at my door 2 days later.

This is going to sound silly, but I really like stories like this one. A company that provides good customer service experiences, is always rewarded with loyalty and free promo. (Not that Glock needs anymore free/positive press. They seem to be doing pretty good for themselvesSmile )

Posts: 365 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: April 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jeez. Plain weird.

Soggy...any chance it was already cracked in the package before it was dropped?

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Two stupid questions: what is that thing for, and how do you know the metal is MIM?

Posts: 27836 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Two stupid questions: what is that thing for, and how do you know the metal is MIM?

It's a plate for mounting optics on the Glock MOS line of pistols, each one ships with 4 plates with various hole patterns for different brands of optics.

It's a MIM part, there are no machining marks and you can see the incomplete fill lines from the casting in the lower right corner... The metal itself isn't MIM, that's the manufacturing process (Metal Injection Molding).

NRA Benefactor

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
The 2 holes above and below 02 look to have been pierced or punched if you will. See the distortion around them, dull ass punch and displaced material. I say not MIM but bar stock or sheet. Fractures can happen but hard to believe a drop to the floor caused it. More likely defective stock from the start.

I can also see characteristics of light sand, deburr around the holes from flat sanding, counter sunk holes included.

Does not look like a MIM piece to me and I have made many a thousand parts from sheet and bar stock.

Soggy, can you post a pic of the fractured edges please? Thankx.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
The 2 holes above and below 02 look to have been pierced or punched if you will.

There is no displaced metal on the underside on the ones I have, so it isn't stamped, it's MIM.

NRA Benefactor

The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Just mail it back to them. Most likely they will mail you back a new one.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Just don't drop the new one

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nipper:
Jeez. Plain weird.

Soggy...any chance it was already cracked in the package before it was dropped?

I suppose that's possible. I really didn't get a good look at it before it fell to the floor. I only saw the crack after I picked it up and assumed that it happened upon impact.

quote:

It's used for mounting a reflex red dot like a Trijicon RMR (the #2 plate) or a Vortex Venom (one of the other three plates that come with the MOS G19). As for the MIM aspect: it has the telltale rings or circles on the underside and along one of its edges that indicate where the metal particles were 'injected' into the mold that formed the part. Those areas are usually raised 'lumps' or nipples from the rest of the surrounding surface when the piece is removed from the mold but in this case were ground smooth afterwards (well, mostly smooth) to flush out with the bottom of the part, since the piece will sit directly on top of the Glock's slide. Add in the crack and the presumption that the impact caused it...that's how I figured it was a MIM part. And at its price point ($20 for the 4 plate set), MIM is about the only feasible way to make these to fit the economics.

If I have time (or remember) I will try to take a pic of the bottom side of this or one of the other plates.

quote:

That's good to know, albeit too late for me. I just read the confirmation email from Glock about my order shipping. Oh well...

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
Just don't drop the new one

Believe me, it's high on my 'must not do list' Wink

posted Hide Post
Glad you didn't also drop the slide .

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
Wanna know what happens when you drop a "steel" Glock MOS plate onto a concrete floor?

The same thing that can happen if you drop a drill or a tap on a concrete floor and it hits perfectly flat, and they aren't MIM.

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post