SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    UPDATE- bought it. What holsters is everyone else using? Is a M+P shield 9mm small enough for pocket carry? in OP. $199.97 at Outdoor World
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UPDATE- bought it. What holsters is everyone else using? Is a M+P shield 9mm small enough for pocket carry? in OP. $199.97 at Outdoor World Login/Join 
posted
I haven't handled or paid any attention to the M+P shields, but have shot and/or played with the LCP's and S+w Body guard .380. Outdoor World has the 9mm shield for $199.97 in the new flier (.380 Shield EZ's are $249.97 ironically). The 9mm is a smoking deal. Anyways, are they small/light enough to pocket carry or better off going the LCP/BodyGuard route for pocket carry? (I'm 6'3).

Buds has a Ruger LCP II with a funky blue frame on sale for $179.

What holsters is everyone using for the Shield, pocket carry, front right pocket......what about IWB? I put it in my pocket and it fits no problem and is comfortable (just the gun, unloaded at the store) in my right front shorts pocket. What about ammo? I was thinking Gold Dot short barreled would be ideal.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jimmy123x,

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Yes. Been pocket carrying one for years. If I remember right you’re a tall guy like me. Go for it.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Mine fits easily in my pocket and I' d certainly rather carry a 9mm than a 380.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Before going to the P365 I carried a Shield for 4+ years...Great little pistol and I agree with Texas Bob 100%. I would rather carry a 9mm vs. a 380...Mark

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of roadrash
posted Hide Post
You would need pretty baggy pants to hide a pistol with a grip as long as a Shield imho

Posts: 558 | Registered: May 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At that price they are probably selling the Ver. 1 of the Shield which does not have a great trigger. Appex can solve the problem, or find a M.2 Shield which has a much better trigger.

Bill

Posts: 137 | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am 5'6 and weigh 135. I pocket carry a 9mm Shield every day. Works fine.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an older Shield and a 2.0 Shield. Trigger is better on new, but not a big deal. I would rather have a flat apex trigger on the old version. 2.0 is has very aggressive texture, I prefer old. However I prefer the Hogue grip on Shield. There is a $50 rebate on Shield that is about to run out.

Having said all of that I prefer my Sig 365XL even at the higher price.

229, 220, 320 Xcompact, 365, 365XL

Posts: 38 | Location: Omaha NE | Registered: October 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
The Shield is one of my recommended pocket carry pistols. I am 5'6" at 145 and easily carry in Levi 501 jeans.

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
If you’re used to an LCP, the Shield feels huge. If you’re used to a J frame, you’ll be fine with a Shield most likely.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3204 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
They are great guns. I've been carrying one for about 5 years now. The trigger isn't that bad and like most, gets better with age. I consider them a match for any of the other quality plastic guns on the market and they have enough units out there to offer many aftermarket accessory options and good parts supply.
I have a Hogue grip sleeve on mine and carry in a Kangaroo Carry, not pocket. You should go and try one in your pocket to see how it feels for you.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roadrash:
You would need pretty baggy pants to hide a pistol with a grip as long as a Shield imho

Not really. Mine looks like a cell phone is in the pocket.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I am going to go buy one. How can you go wrong for $199. Even if I use it as a truck gun or something like that. I personally feel more comfortable with 9mm over .380 as a defensive round. Maybe mix it up between that and a LCP depending on the situation. But a 9mm isn't any good if it's not on you...….

posted Hide Post
I have the original 9mm Shield. Nothing wrong with the trigger and except for magazine capacity, I prefer it to my Sig P365. The Shield fits my hand like a glove and the recoil is amazingly light. I find it slightly large for a pocket gun but others might find it to be fine. It's a great gun.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Too big for MY pockets, but, I don't even like to carry a wallet, in my pocket

Posts: 221 | Location: WI | Registered: October 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have any recommendations to what holster to buy for pocket carry?

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is a M+P shield 9mm small enough for pocket carry?

No, IMO.

Unless you are YUGE.

Maybe one of the guys who claim to pocket carry a G26 will chime in...?

IWB would be my suggestion, try Vedder Holsters.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Is a M+P shield 9mm small enough for pocket carry?

No, IMO.

Unless you are YUGE.

Maybe one of the guys who claim to pocket carry a G26 will chime in...?

IWB would be my suggestion, try Vedder Holsters.

I couldn't pass it up due to price. S+W, comes with 2 magazines, nice 3 dot sites, wasn't able to try the trigger at the store (BASS PRO). I'm 6'3 and 245 lbs. I can actually get most of my fingers on the grip, unlike the LCP where I get 1 finger, and part of my second on the grip. It easily fit into my right front pocket of my shorts at the store. Jeans probably not. I figure I'll get a pocket holster for it and in times when it's too big swap it out for a LCP. If it's too big, it'll become a truck gun or something to take fishing (I'd rather have larger capacity for both, but a $200 gun wouldn't be a big loss if it got stolen versus my next cheapest centerfire gun is worth around $700). I keep kicking myself that about 10 years ago I traded a perfectly functioning SW9VE with 16 round magazines for $175 trade in on a 1911.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Not saying it's not a good pistol, its just not a easy pocket pistol. IWB IMO.

The other thing you'll need to check is weight when loaded, compared to unloaded. My PPS fits fine in shorts, but jam 7 rounds into it and the weight slaps against your leg, making you look weird and obviously having something heavy in your pocket.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
Bladetech NANO IWB

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post