SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Picked up an MOS, which optics should I consider.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picked up an MOS, which optics should I consider. Login/Join 
You dig
Picture of evolution
posted
Said I'd never do it but there it sits in my safe, G19 MOS.

Seems the RMR is the top optic, what are the other options and what did ya'll settle on and why?

This will be a range/GSSF gun, maybe HD at some point.

Posts: 2602 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RMR 06 or 07

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I would go with an RMR RM06 with a Battle Werx anti-flicker sealing plate. You can get them for $350. They seem more rugged then most and battery life is 1-3 years leaving it on at all times. If you have the scratch you can get a type 2 and not worry about the anti-flicker plate but I have 3 type ones with no issues on my guns. Dawson Precision makes co-witness Sights that work with the MOS guns.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are low on cash a Vortex will do Smile.

Posts: 361 | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
Delta Point Pro. Bigger window, top load battery, bright dot, cheaper, every bit as reliable.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I use an always-on RM02 on my MOS G19 but next time around I will opt for a 2nd gen Type-2 RMR unit. Even with the seal plate my unit will flicker from time to time. I have a Type-1 RM06 on my MPX with a seal plate over an ADM QD mount and sometimes it STILL flickers and it's on a fixed rail(!), not a reciprocating slide.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been curious about using an optic on a pistol for a while and when GLOCK announced the Gen5 34 MOS I put myself on the list at my LGS. I've already picked the pistol up and put a couple hundred rounds through it.

I did a ton of research here and on youtube and settled on a Trijicon RM06, type 2 with a 3.25 MOA dot. The consensus seemed to recommend a larger dot for speed and carry but I'm only going to use this for range and wanted the precision of a smaller dot. Amazon tells me the sight will be delivered this coming Saturday. I can't wait to try it out.

I might add that I don't plan to change out the plastic sights as I don't need the ability to co-witness for a range only gun.

Good luck OP with your search. This was a big decision for me as I paid almost as much for the sight ($480.00) as I did for the pistol.

Posts: 744 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Trijicon is my go to carry and hard use sight. Honestly if it was just going to be a range gun for me I would have gone with a Burris or Vortex. I have a Burris Fast Fire 3 on my 17L and it works great.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Old226
posted Hide Post
Wow, no one mentioned the Romeo1...hummm

Tools of the Trade: WG P226, P228, P229 SAS Gen II, Para P16, S&W 610, Springfield 1911 (Les Baer) 10mm, EMP .40S&W & Ed Brown Executive Carry 45acp

Posts: 168 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
settled on a Trijicon RM06, type 2 with a 3.25 MOA dot

I've a dozen of these RMR's on all kinds of guns and there is truly very little to discriminate between the 06 and 07 models. Me personally I think the 07 is a bit faster, but that's just me.
Reminder if you order one of these you need the Trijicon mounting kit for the MOS guns.

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Old226:

It’s probably the least proven of all the mini Reddots and does anyone even Mill slides for them?

posted Hide Post
This is an MOS gun so you get what you get in terms of adapter plates. I don't trust sig about optics so I have no clue if there is one of the plates that would work. But I'd never buy a sig optic at least in this decade.

Picture of Old226
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
quote:

It’s probably the least proven of all the mini Reddots and does anyone even Mill slides for them?

"Least proven of all the mini Reddots"? That's a truly impossible statement to back up with facts. BTW, actually there are at least several shops that machine customer supplied slides for the Romeo1.

Tools of the Trade: WG P226, P228, P229 SAS Gen II, Para P16, S&W 610, Springfield 1911 (Les Baer) 10mm, EMP .40S&W & Ed Brown Executive Carry 45acp

Posts: 168 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aparoche
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

"Least proven of all the mini Reddots"? That's a truly impossible statement to back up with facts. BTW, actually there are at least several shops that machine customer supplied slides for the Romeo1.

The first half of his comment is pretty understandable... it’s a more newly released optic and all of Sigs optics are manufactured in China.

Posts: 524 | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tha1000:
Delta Point Pro. Bigger window, top load battery, bright dot, cheaper, every bit as reliable.

A friend, who is a member here too, just broke his 5th or 6th one. He's a very high volume shooter so that may be a factor. I just started a semi-humorous thread about it on another website.
One interesting response was another gent reporting a problem with a type 2 RMR. I've heard of RMR failures before, including on this site, and have two shooting buddies with a first hand experience but that's the first report on type 2 going down that I've seen.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Ok well let’s look at the facts Trijicon RMR, Deltapoint, Docter, Burris, vortex, Jpoint, C-more StS all have some degree of pedigree out in the market place. Sig decided all of the sudden to become an optics maker. Previously they put out complete garbage under the SigTac name. So you tell me will you trust a new product from a company that has been making quality optics for years or from a gun company putting out cheap Asian reddots that started production a couple years ago? Yes they are unproven. Find me some special op units or high level competition shooters (outside of the Sig shooting team) using Sig optics....i’ll Wait.

Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YVK:
quote:
Originally posted by tha1000:

A friend, who is a member here too, just broke his 5th or 6th one. He's a very high volume shooter so that may be a factor. I just started a semi-humorous thread about it on another website.
One interesting response was another gent reporting a problem with a type 2 RMR. I've heard of RMR failures before, including on this site, and have two shooting buddies with a first hand experience but that's the first report on type 2 going down that I've seen.

Every bottom load battery red dot I have owned has flickered, vortex or trijicon. I havent tried the gen 2 rmr, but I would imagine it will eventually develop a flicker as well. The issue, as I understand it, is the lack of consistency in the manufacture of the batteries, some are thicker and some are thinner.

I own two DPP's and haven't had issue with either. It is by and large the optic of choice of the open division shooters in my three state area. YMMV. That being said, I wouldn't trust my life to any of them at this stage of the technology. They're all going to fail eventually, especially if you are mounting directly to the slide and/or shooting major. I saw the glass on a brand new STS crack this weekend on a carry optics shadow.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a Vortex at one time. They are inexpensive and a good way to see if you really want to get a higher priced one before shelling out the money. I wanted to like it but could not get used to a red dot on a pistol. I had no problems with the one I had and it was pretty decent. The biggest pain in the neck with it was adjusting the dot to point of aim, as it could not be done while on the pistol with the model I had.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
I had a Vortex at one time. They are inexpensive and a good way to see if you really want to get a higher priced one before shelling out the money. I wanted to like it but could not get used to a red dot on a pistol. I had no problems with the one I had and it was pretty decent. The biggest pain in the neck with it was adjusting the dot to point of aim, as it could not be done while on the pistol with the model I had.

Yeah, I eventually just removed the sights to make it easier. That is a dumb place to put the adjustments.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Every bottom load battery red dot I have owned has flickered, vortex or trijicon.

I don't own a vortex so pass on that, but I do have a couple of dozen RMR's. And now 30K round using them. If you have flickering issues you either have install problems or need to send it back to Trijicon. Yes mounting a Gen1 one on a slide takes a bit of understanding of the issues, but I never have issues these days. I had one that needed to go back, but its not like you say indicative of all of them. If you have an MOS one and are having issues I will happily advise how to mount it with a better outcome.