SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Picked up an MOS, which optics should I consider.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picked up an MOS, which optics should I consider. Login/Join 
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
quote:
Every bottom load battery red dot I have owned has flickered, vortex or trijicon.

I don't own a vortex so pass on that, but I do have a couple of dozen RMR's. And now 30K round using them. If you have flickering issues you either have install problems or need to send it back to Trijicon. Yes mounting a Gen1 one on a slide takes a bit of understanding of the issues, but I never have issues these days. I had one that needed to go back, but its not like you say indicative of all of them. If you have an MOS one and are having issues I will happily advise how to mount it with a better outcome.

I’ve got a dpp now. So it’s a non-issue. Most of the guys I know running the rmr are using the shoegoo fix with some kind of sealing plate.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Dumb question from a guy peeking in...

No Aimpoint micro on el pistole? I see some pretty skilled dudes running those, no idea why because they must weigh more and have a smaller window?

I've considered tube sights because I can't find the dot for shit on my 22/45 with an old deltapoint on it. Shoot lights out if you are slow tho!

I'm doing it wrong...

Posts: 5127 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Guess it depends on what you want. If I had something like a 22/45 with a fixed rail and the sight was mounted on it an aimpoint is fine. I use an MRO on my 22/45 and that's just the same. Now if you want to mount it on a moving slide like the original MOS post then the aimpoint sucks. Yup they offer a mount but its beyond high and no backup sights.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
In theory a tube sight will be slower as you have to be directly behind it to see the dot. This is why you see most competitive pcc and rimfire shooters running some sort of MRDS / cmore type setup.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:

Now if you want to mount it on a moving slide like the original MOS post then the aimpoint sucks.

Unity Atom mounts AP on a slide well, I have one right here. Unity setup works better with an AP Micro than with a Deltapoint if functional iron backup sights are desired.
I got this setup because of AP's closed light emitter and reputation for the durability. Since then I learned that they also can fail on reciprocating slides. Still, it inspires more confidence from durability standpoint than other options. It is too big for a concealed carry and the window is small comparing to DPP. Don't have an RMR to compare. I use mine as a practice gun, it is certainly harder to pick the dot than on DPP but actually not as bad as I had expected. Especially considering how little time I spend on the dots and the Glocks.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post