SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig P229 Classic Carry
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig P229 Classic Carry Login/Join 
Picture of rockchalk06
posted
I had picked up a used HK P30 in a trade last week and got it into super cheap. Under 500. One of the guys I frequently horse trade with, just had to have it. Ended up swapping the HK and 80 bucks for this:

Have a short reset trigger kit on the way from Brownells as we speak. P229 was unfired and immaculate. All factory stuff as well. The tramp stamp is growing on me quick. The DA pull feels really good. Love the fact that it used the non -1 mags. I have a bunch of them just sitting around.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Legacy P229 is what the P229 should always look like. Congrats! Cool

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
IMHO you came out the winner on this deal; congrats. My P229 CC has been great, though I choose to do my best to ignore that massive advertising logo that can be seen from space by low flying spy satellites on the top of the slide.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

Indeed sir. Thank you! I need to check over all weights, but I swear this P229 feels lighter than my current carry M11-A1.

quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
IMHO you came out the winner on this deal; congrats. My P229 CC has been great, though I choose to do my best to ignore that massive advertising logo that can be seen from space by low flying spy satellites on the top of the slide.

Thank you. I felt the same. The P30 fit me really well too and had a killer DA pull. It was a V3, but when I looked at mags, I kinda got light headed. I have an ungodly amount of P228/P229 non -1 mags, so it only made sense. Ya, NASA sent me an email asking me to tone it down when I took the fence photos Wink

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rockchalk06:
quote:

Indeed sir. Thank you! I need to check over all weights, but I swear this P229 feels lighter than my current carry M11-A1.

You might be surprised. Wink
I did this a while back.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
No kidding!

I will put both on the scale this evening to see if its the frames?, but obviously the slide weighs more.

posted Hide Post
Enjoy, Beautiful grips, Id love a pair for my 229 Legion, and my P220s

Posts: 710 | Location: SW. Florida, USA | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have newer pistols, but I still love my 229.
That is one good looking gun you have there.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
P229/9 is my absolute favorite. Enjoy yours and shoot it in good health.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up one up 6 months ago for 667 dollars new off gunbroker.It was a steal and a no brainer Bought an SRT kit from gunbroker and its been a gem. How to you beat the classic elite slide. Plus I picked up 15 round mags from Top Gun Supply too. I love mine.

Lawrence A Visocky (Larry V)

Posts: 494 | Registered: January 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:

Thank you. I felt the same. The P30 fit me really well too and had a killer DA pull. It was a V3, but when I looked at mags, I kinda got light headed. I have an ungodly amount of P228/P229 non -1 mags, so it only made sense. Ya, NASA sent me an email asking me to tone it down when I took the fence photos Wink

Having good grippy grips the right size and shape gives the feel of a lighter gun sometimes.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
No kidding!

I will put both on the scale this evening to see if its the frames?, but obviously the slide weighs more.

Hey, maybe your slide will actually weigh less, with some of the metal removed due to the front slide serrations. My was a real older classic legacy slide without the front serrations.

Q

It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
That sure is pretty specimen! Enjoy her!

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1677 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Q, My 1995 production P229 slide weighed exactly the same as yours, 12.3 ounces. My Classic Carry slide weighs 12.5 Oz.

The CC slide, at first glance, appears to to have the same profile as the originals, but it actually has a different, more blocky I guess you'd say, profile. Apparently, that makes up for the material removed by the FCS, and then some.

NRA Life

Posts: 1561 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rock185:
Q, My 1995 production P229 slide weighed exactly the same as yours, 12.3 ounces. My Classic Carry slide weighs 12.5 Oz.

The CC slide, at first glance, appears to to have the same profile as the originals, but it actually has a different, more blocky I guess you'd say, profile. Apparently, that makes up for the material removed by the FCS, and then some.

Good info. Thanks.
Yes, I kind of notice the more blocky look of the newer legacy slide.

Q

Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Could the differences in the legacy slides be related to caliber? At one time I owned a 1995 .40 caliber model and a 2004 9mm model. The 9mm slide seemed sleeker, not by much but it felt like it when holding them side by side. There was a visual difference also (more rounded). If they were different I wonder if the current legacy slides are based off of .40 caliber models.

Oh, beautiful pistol! The legacy non-rail P229/9 is one of my favorites. I'm one of the weirdos that prefer it to the P228 Smile

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Mbinky, you're right. The .40s and .357 SIG Legacy slide does have a different profile. I measured and weighed mine back in the day, and IIRC it was taller and wider above the cocking serrations and weighed about 1 1/2-2 ozs. more than the 9MM slide. The CC slide is blockier than the original 9MM slides, but not to the extent of the .40 and .357 slides.

I've owned more than one of each, but I guess I'm another weirdo too in liking the original 9MM 229s just a little more than the 228s. I wouldn't want my friend Q to find out thoughWink

NRA Life

Posts: 1561 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
That's just beautiful. Congratulations.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
SRT kit arrived from Brownells this afternoon. Had it installed within a half hour. Can’t believe the difference it makes.

Soon as I get over this congestion crap, I need to hit the range.