SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    So I bought a Glock 43
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So I bought a Glock 43 Login/Join 
Picture of Raidersrule
posted
I haven't posted in gosh, seems like forever. Life has been busy, work has been busy, and I just haven't had the free time that I used to.

But tonight I've found some, and felt like discussing today's purchase.

I work in a plainclothes capacity and have for almost five years now. But in the last six months I've found myself in a slightly more covert position.

I went from OWB a Glock 22 in to a Block 23 in a Raven Perun. Wasn't bad in the winter but just too big in the warmer months (and doesn't help that I'm 5'9" and 150 lbs...). So I found a great holster from Veil Solutions for the G23 and a TLR-7 which is a stellar combinations.

However, now I'm traveling some and concealing a firearm in the "free" world and in an airport or on a major airline are two, totally different things.

So I had been thinking about a smaller gun for some time and today I ran by one of my local FFLs to have them ship off a few pistols I sold. While I'm waiting for them to get the paperwork completed and ready to go I started playing with a G43. I liked it, and the size. But more than anything the Vickers' Tactical +2 magazine plates appealed to me immensely.

This would give me a gun with a much smaller footprint than my G23 or even my G26 with 9 rounds in the gun (8+1) and then either an 8 round magazine or a 12 round magazine (if I went with an ETS 12) in a magazine pouch.

I went down the road to one of the shops that runs a blue label program and looked at it and left.

Talked to my partner and decided to take the plunge.

I've ordered a Veil holster, the vickers baseplates, extended magazine release, extended slide stop, a magazine pouch, and some Dawson Precision fiberoptic sights as well. I'll throw the gun on a qual sheet this week (if everything comes in) and I've got about 500 rounds of 9mm plus about 150 hollow points to put down the range.

It's a bit of a change from a "service" pistol to something this size but 21 rounds on my person isn't a bad option. May have to go to a double magazine pouch to make it two, 12 round magazines and then a nine round in the gun.

On a side note, it's nice to be back friends. Like coming home. Big Grin

-----------------
"What if... What if grasshoppers carried .45s? Then maybe birds wouldn't **** with them so much?"

Matt Graham, Graham Combat
Discussing what if scenarios regarding cover/crowding

"Our wonderful citizenry expect the worst from police and the great majority of the time, they simply get the best."

Posts: 2873 | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats, great choice. Federal HST 150gr. HP (it’s not a +P round) is a good choice for this Glock.

Posts: 1451 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Welcome back! G43 is a great choice!

I like ETS mags in my G19 and G42, but they worked like a$$ in my G43. Maybe it was a case of tolerence stacking or some other such thing, but it works great with OEMs (with +1 and +2, in addition to stock) but the ETS mags would ALWAYS Fail to Feed with JHPs (7s / 9s and 12rd ETS mags). JHP would stick on the front lip of the mag. Each and every time. FMJs did fine, but Fed HST 124, 147, and Speer 124 GDHP.

Just a reminder to vet them extensively.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
Well as much as I hate to say this if you really like the 43 don't go shoot the 365 Big Grin I have a 43 as well and really like it with the taren tactical +2 extensions they were the most reliable extension I used, I did have a issue with the Vickers +2 last round, the slide would just lock back like round wasn't there.

To my point the 365 with the 12 rd mags is smaller then the 43 kicks less comes from the factory with night sights and feels like a million bucks. I'm still in the honeymoon stage but I just cant seem to put this pistol down. honestly cant wait for the sun to come up so I can get back to the range.

Don't get me wrong the 43 is a great choice and I'm keeping mine but dam the 365 is pretty sweet.

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had no problems with the ETC mags, but I only carry factory magazines. The G43 has proven absolutely reliable.

I usually carry mine in a DeSantis pocket holster. It disappears.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife chose the g43 when I took her gun shopping, since we’re down south for a visit and you can buy ammo everywhere, I’ve been having her put 200-400 rounds through it per week for the past 6 weeks to get her as comfortable as possible with the gun.

So far so good, she loves it.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Raidersrule
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
Well as much as I hate to say this if you really like the 43 don't go shoot the 365 Big Grin I have a 43 as well and really like it with the taren tactical +2 extensions they were the most reliable extension I used, I did have a issue with the Vickers +2 last round, the slide would just lock back like round wasn't there.

To my point the 365 with the 12 rd mags is smaller then the 43 kicks less comes from the factory with night sights and feels like a million bucks. I'm still in the honeymoon stage but I just cant seem to put this pistol down. honestly cant wait for the sun to come up so I can get back to the range.

Don't get me wrong the 43 is a great choice and I'm keeping mine but dam the 365 is pretty sweet.

I held a 365 yesterday but Sig just can't compete with the Blue Label program. Seems like a nice gun, though.

-----------------
"What if... What if grasshoppers carried .45s? Then maybe birds wouldn't **** with them so much?"

"Our wonderful citizenry expect the worst from police and the great majority of the time, they simply get the best."

posted Hide Post
Buy another G43 and carry two guns. Two is always better than one. Plus, the G43 is so small and light you won't even notice them.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Great choice you made on the G43. I installed Trijicons on my G43. That orange dot comes up fast. I use the Vickers and Hyve mag extensions, both work very well. I actually back up my G43 with a G42, loaded with 380 Gold dots

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Raidersrule
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
Great choice you made on the G43. I installed Trijicons on my G43. That orange dot comes up fast. I use the Vickers and Hyve mag extensions, both work very well. I actually back up my G43 with a G42, loaded with 380 Gold dots

Just ordered a high +3. Nine in the mag and one in the gun makes for a good combination.

As I sit here thinking about it I'll probably have to get a double magazine pouch to carry the amount of ammo that I want while I'm at work.

-----------------

Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raidersrule:
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:

I held a 365 yesterday but Sig just can't compete with the Blue Label program. Seems like a nice gun, though.

so is there a huge difference in price? considering your in law enforcement, saving a little dough wouldn't be very high on my list. just my 2cents Smile

posted Hide Post
Blue Label Glock 43 runs about $360, while P365 (if you can find one) runs about $150 more. With Sigs less than stellar reputation in their striker-fired line, Id go Glock too.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cous2492:
Blue Label Glock 43 runs about $360, while P365 (if you can find one) runs about $150 more. With Sigs less than stellar reputation in their striker-fired line, Id go Glock too.

Have you tried a 365 yet ? lot's of people including myself have been happy with them, I put another 300 rounds thru mine today with zero issues. like everything there will be some that have problems. considering the super high demand for them they are going to be put though the ringer. don't get me wrong I like my 43. Smile

addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
A very good pistol, the G43. You should be very content with it at least for the time being if not for the extended future. I've grown to like my PPS M2 better, but my G43 has been rock solid dependable.

As for the others: for me the jury's still very much out on the 365. Amazing size for its firepower, but I didn't appreciate the blanket "it's fine like it is" blathering by the company guy, only to have the striker redesigned anyways. What's so settling about that kind of phony bullshit? Then there's the trigger spring clearance/dead trigger problems, which sounds like it's still an ongoing assembly/production issue with recent batches of 365s. Most of these guns may not suffer anything at all from these maladies, but it's the 'not knowing for sure' and undefinable 'maybes' that gnaws at the brain. Thankfully no additional crapshit PR statements about this issue, at least that I've come across.

SIG will ultimately fix these things as they crop up, I frankly do believe, but as-it-is they carry enough seriousness, uncertainty and concern that if I were in the market for the 365 I'd rather wait for that day to come than to dive in now.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I concur with this assessment of the P365.
Reliability trumps capacity and the G43 has been nothing but reliable.
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
A very good pistol, the G43. You should be very content with it at least for the time being if not for the extended future. I've grown to like my PPS M2 better, but my G43 has been rock solid dependable.

As for the others: for me the jury's still very much out on the 365. Amazing size for its firepower, but I didn't appreciate the blanket "it's fine like it is" blathering by the company guy, only to have the striker redesigned anyways. What's so settling about that kind of phony bullshit? Then there's the trigger spring clearance/dead trigger problems, which sounds like it's still an ongoing assembly/production issue with recent batches of 365s. Most of these guns may not suffer anything at all from these maladies, but it's the 'not knowing for sure' and undefinable 'maybes' that gnaws at the brain. Thankfully no additional crapshit PR statements about this issue, at least that I've come across.

SIG will ultimately fix these things as they crop up, I frankly do believe, but as-it-is they carry enough seriousness, uncertainty and concern that if I were in the market for the 365 I'd rather wait for that day to come than to dive in now.

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:

That is the reason I sold mine and went back to the Glock 43. My P365 was flawless after the first 18 rounds gave me some issues, but I lost all faith in it. I turned it for a profit and I'll hold out a year or so and get another one. In the time being, my Glock 43 Talo is fitting the bill very well.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sgtbrock
posted Hide Post
Amen to the G43 TALO. Very sweet shooting gun!

Posts: 15 | Location: Florida | Registered: April 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
The 43 is still the best in its class IMO. For reasons mentioned above, the 365 is at least a year out for me. Probably closer to two. I like the way it feels in the hand, but I'm in no rush.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't trust my life to a P365 at this point. I would always have the thought of all the issues and Sig's BS lies in the back of my mind. I really wanted one too.

I do carry a G43. I have one of the early Austrian produced ones. 100% reliable. Added Trijicon night sites, ghost trigger connector and Pierce +1 mag extensions. I liked the Pierce as they kept the same mag size but added an extra round. I understand the want/need for more capacity than that though.

Congrats on the purchase!

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3600 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To each his own but my opinion is adding extended mags to the 43 sort of defeats the purpose. For the spare it certainly makes sense. I myself would avoid extended anything on a deep cover gun, especially the mag catch as I have seen many a case of an extended catch causing the mag to pop out rendering a single shot.

Posts: 3288 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post