SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    I really didnt wanna like the Sig P320X Carry
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I really didnt wanna like the Sig P320X Carry Login/Join 
posted
We transitioned over to the P320X Carry. Lots of us still chose to carry the Glock 17 / 19 as our primary duty weapon. Today I gave into temptation and decided to put the Sig through its paces during our quarterly range day and subsequent qual course. Let me say I'm a Glock fanboy....well, i WAS a Glock fanboy. I was able to shoot the tightest perfect score on the official qual course I've ever shot. No malfunctions were seen in both FMJ and JHP. I'm curious as to see what kinda mileage I'll get out of it. As a firearms instructor in the largest field office in the country, my primary duty gun usually sees in excess of 20k rounds per year between firearms training and competitions. Im hoping it will have the longevity of my Glock 17, which was my former duty weapon. Any high mileage 320's out there?

Posts: 752 | Registered: January 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yesterday I was considering selling most of my other pistols and settling on the SIG P320X Carry as my one and only polymer pistol, as arguably it is the most comfortable I own and the one I shoot the best. My only hangup is that I enjoy variety too much and appreciate aspects of the other pistols I own, but in reality, I would be fine with just that SIG, a couple of different sized frames/slides/barrels, and a good holster. Glad you made the switch and got good results.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Not high mileage yet, but I also switched duty weapon from a G17 to a P320XC a bit over a year ago. I'm digging it.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Mine doesn't have the mileage that you describe, as my agency is small and I'm on the hook for most of my own ammo. Especially this past year, I've not been able to put as much milage on it as I'd like. I've probably got close to 20k through mine over 3.5 years, and have had no breakages, or even any stoppages that weren't directly ammo-related. I have yet to see any stoppages on the range with any of our officer's guns, either, and our scores have gone up across the board, just like you experienced. It's an easy gun to shoot well.

The only issue I can think of is that if you have guys who neglect them, they are more prone to rust than the Glocks. The mag release button can rust if not properly lubed and carried in a holster that allows the gun to press against the body. I had one egregious case where rust actually started forming on the feed ramp and chamber, but that was more an issue of neglect than it was a problem with the gun. That dude never cleaned anything. I caught it early, made him clean it, and there was no permanent damage to the gun. I've not experienced that problem with any of our other guns.

I believe jljones put a bunch of rounds through a P320 a while back...he could probably speak to the durability and longevity of the gun better than most here.

Posts: 8413 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
I really wanted to love the P320 system - it’s truly innovative and has all kinds of potential. However I’ve always been a Glock guy and I can’t shoot the P320 anywhere near as well as I can shoot the Glock.

Posts: 1957 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let me add that I REALLY like the big fat extended take down lever on the Sig. I use it as a ledge for my support hand thumb. I can really get a good amount of downward pressure on it which I feel helps to mitigate recoil. The Glock lacks anything besides that small protrusion on the frame for your support hand thumb. It offers nothing really for your thumb to "sit on".

If I absolutely must pick apart anything on the Sig it would be to have the bore axis sit a little lower.

Picture of Texaspoff
posted Hide Post
I was an early adopter or the 320. I purchased two directly from Sig one in 2016 and one in 2017. I have also had two x carry’s and two pro carry’s.
I had several thousand rounds through all of them combined and have never had any issues or parts breakages.
I did move away from them when the drop issues popped up and went back to Glock, especially with the release of the 19x and Gen 5 guns.
I did keep one of my 320s, a standard carry model. This was the second one I purchased from Sig is 2017. It was sent back for the upgrade and then put in the safe.
I pulled it out to use while I was teaching a firearms instructor course and was able to shoot it better that my Glocks even after not touching it since 2017.
Well it got a WC frame upgrade along with the new flat trigger and x ray sights. It is now my new duty pistol and my Glocks will sit in the safe for a while.

TXPO

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Texaspoff,

Coldborecustom.com

Posts: 258 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Darn you guys. I was going to cut daown on my purchasing. I bought a P365 last month so now I guess I'll break down and get a P320.

Scouts Out

Posts: 1118 | Registered: May 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My M17 Bravo and P320C-MS now both have Wilson frames - Carry and Compact both with safety cut. I have just about every "small" size Sig Frame too. P320C has X-Ray sights added, while the M17 has a DPP and Dawson BUIS. Both have flat X-Triggers. They have been 100% with any ammo and they are easy to shoot accurately.

So I just got a Custom Works FCU (thanks AB Prototype!) and will use the Black AXG aluminum frame and an upper TBD. The AXG Scorpions I've seen feel like classic Sigs in weight and balance but I don't want a "brown" one.

Yeah I wish Sig re-engineered the slide to lower the bore axis and reduce overall height instead of essentially re-using the P250 slide that was designed for a hammer. It is the only striker pistol on the market with such a needlessly tall slide. But it works.

I tried to go Glock with the Gen 5's but I am selling them now.

If you think about it the P320 is really ideal. Buy one Compact or X-Carry model and with a grip frame and mag change you can have the equivalent of a G19 or G45. Buy an extra upper and you can have a G17 equivalent, or a "G26X" with the X-Compact frame and slide. Not sure if any PD's are issuing extra parts to swap between duty and concealed sizes, but the military most certainly will swap uppers depending on use, just like they do with the M4's.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Texaspoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
My M17 Bravo and P320C-MS now both have Wilson frames - Carry and Compact both with safety cut. I have just about every "small" size Sig Frame too. P320C has X-Ray sights added, while the M17 has a DPP and Dawson BUIS. Both have flat X-Triggers. They have been 100% with any ammo and they are easy to shoot accurately.

So I just got a Custom Works FCU (thanks AB Prototype!) and will use the Black AXG aluminum frame and an upper TBD. The AXG Scorpions I've seen feel like classic Sigs in weight and balance but I don't want a "brown" one.

Yeah I wish Sig re-engineered the slide to lower the bore axis and reduce overall height instead of essentially re-using the P250 slide that was designed for a hammer. It is the only striker pistol on the market with such a needlessly tall slide. But it works.

I tried to go Glock with the Gen 5's but I am selling them now.

If you think about it the P320 is really ideal. Buy one Compact or X-Carry model and with a grip frame and mag change you can have the equivalent of a G19 or G45. Buy an extra upper and you can have a G17 equivalent, or a "G26X" with the X-Compact frame and slide. Not sure if any PD's are issuing extra parts to swap between duty and concealed sizes, but the military most certainly will swap uppers depending on use, just like they do with the M4's.

FWIW the Nitron AXG 320's are due out any time. My Local Sig LE guy has several on order. It is basically a Black version of the Scorpion.

TXPO

Coldborecustom.com

Posts: 258 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love my P320 X-Compact hybrid. It's a P320 Subcompact upper on a Wilson X-Compact grip frame.

I don't have a lot of experience with polymer striker-fired double-stack pistols -- I've only owned the Glock 26, Glock 19, and P320 Carry -- but this is far and away my favorite one. The 320 Carry is my second favorite.

Posts: 840 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
Our department allows the carry of most everything within reason. Most are Glocks, but what I've been noticing over the last few years is the new guys are all carrying P320's of some flavor. Most of these guys had never picked up a handgun in their life before the academy.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
I've currently got 2 P320 Compacts. One is stock, and the other has the Sig Romeo I and a TLR7 light.

I just haven't yet become a fan of the Optic, nor the firearm mounted light, so that one is strictly a range toy for now. I'm not certain I'll ever become a fan of either. At 62, I'm at the age where I need every advantage technology has to offer, but I'm not feeling the love. I think that eventually the optic will come off and that light will go onto a nightstand gun, if I keep the light at all.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just wanted to add that our field office qual scores have increased dramatically since the agency adopted the 320. Our traditionally struggling shooters are shooting lights out with the 320. It's pretty amazing to witness actually. Their confidence level has inevitably increased as well. The gun is just easier to shoot I find. The Glocks you have to be cognizant of maintaining the straight trigger press to the rear....otherwise you get that inevitable shooting to the left (for righties). You dont have to "think" so much with the 320. They rounds just land where you want them it seems. The reassembly of the 320 gives some guys / gals some issues it seems. Especially the reinsertion of the take down lever. It's kinda wonky but it gets better with time.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cajunmuscle:
Especially the reinsertion of the take down lever.

Whatever is deemed appropriate obviously varies among agencies, but I am a bit surprised that personnel who aren’t trained armorers are permitted to remove the takedown lever (and, presumably, the fire control unit). Once people start fiddling with the removed FCU they can cause problems that aren’t easily rectified by the untrained.

My agency has a strict rule of, “Don’t remove the FCU or striker assembly. If the gun needs servicing contact the armorer. If you ignore this prohibition and screw something up, you’re responsible.” But it would be interesting to know what other agencies’ policies are.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Texaspoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by cajunmuscle:
Especially the reinsertion of the take down lever.

Whatever is deemed appropriate obviously varies among agencies, but I am a bit surprised that personnel who aren’t trained armorers are permitted to remove the takedown lever (and, presumably, the fire control unit). Once people start fiddling with the removed FCU they can cause problems that aren’t easily rectified by the untrained.

My agency has a strict rule of, “Don’t remove the FCU or striker assembly. If the gun needs servicing contact the armorer. If you ignore this prohibition and screw something up, you’re responsible.” But it would be interesting to know what other agencies’ policies are.

We would have the same policy if we issued our duty weapons. As it stands, our folks are responsible for their own weapons, and maintenance.

I do however require officers to field strip their pistols at our qualifications. This is to ensure they know what they are doing and have the ability to service their weapons.

Also any modification an officer wants to do to their pistol has to be approved by myself and the chief. Since there are only 45 officers in my agency, I can keep track of everyone's duty weapons. I also check and inspect them before they qualify to make sure they are GTG.

It's pretty easy to determine is someone has monkeyed with a trigger assembly or fire control. It isn't too difficult to spot an aftermarket part either.

TXPO

Coldborecustom.com

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texaspoff:
I do however require officers to field strip their pistols at our qualifications.

That is a good idea.

And of course if officers are responsible for acquiring their own weapons, that complicates the authority the agency has to regulate what they do with them unless the authority is clearly spelled out. Even then officers may privately think, “Screw that; it’s my gun and I’ll do what I want with it.”

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by threefeathers:
Darn you guys. I was going to cut daown on my purchasing. I bought a P365 last month so now I guess I'll break down and get a P320.

Feeling the same feelings.

My 6 pistols, are all hammer fired Sigs.

Long time on the fence getting a Glock just because of how ubiquitous they are and being covered in worse case scenario: parts, etc. But never liked shooting them when I've had the chance. Need to find a way to fire a 320 before making final decision.

---------------------------------
I know my nation best. That's why I despise it the most. And I know and love my own people too, the swine. I'm a patriot. A dangerous man --Edward Abbey

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say "I want to see the manager." - William S. Burroughs

Posts: 108 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
I’ve had this compact a bit over a year, and to be honest I have not given it the time necessary to become proficient with the optic. I like it, seem to be quicker and more consistent but need to spend more time. My wife is getting her 365 milled for a 507K optic so will have a chance to compare the relatively tiny 365 with a different optic to this one. Nice firearm, just take me some getting used to.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post