SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Beretta 950BS or 21A in .25 ACP
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beretta 950BS or 21A in .25 ACP Login/Join 
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted
Thinking about a 25acp mouse gun. I've narrowed it down to Beretta, either a 950BS (SAO w/safety) or a 21A (DA/SA).

Looking for thoughts or experiences with both.

Thanks!

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
the 950 is smaller, I've got one I like it quite a bit.

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I wished id have kept my 950. Thatd be my vote. My wife still has her 950 in 22short. Just a fun little gun.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
certified biohazard
posted Hide Post
keep in mind they are no longer supported anywhere worldwide. I had one that broke a trigger spring that could not be replaced, Beretta USA, Italy and all parts suppliers in Europe and the US, had to sell it for parts. Beretta could not have cared less even though there are millions in circulation I'm sure. How in the world do you make something for decades and no longer have parts?? otherwise they are great pistols and I loved mine until I didn't.
good luck......

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
Edmund Burke

Posts: 533 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mew:
keep in mind they are no longer supported anywhere worldwide. I had one that broke a trigger spring that could not be replaced, Beretta USA, Italy and all parts suppliers in Europe and the US, had to sell it for parts. Beretta could not have cared less even though there are millions in circulation I'm sure. How in the world do you make something for decades and no longer have parts?? otherwise they are great pistols and I loved mine until I didn't.
good luck......

How long should you expect them to keep parts on hand?

I'd get the 21a as I like the lines better and parts/mags are interchangeable or available with current production. I have one in 25acp I carry all the time...small enough in a SuperFly holster, I forget its there.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
certified biohazard
posted Hide Post
made from 1952-2003, you believe it should be obsolete I suppose?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
Edmund Burke

Posts: 533 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like my 950.

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mew:
made from 1952-2003, you believe it should be obsolete I suppose?

No, but 14 years on...unless there's money to be made, most manufacturers transfer their old stock to Brownells or Numrich. It likely costs more than the profit to be made for a large manufacturer to keep spares on hand that long.

Look at the auto industry...by law, they have to keep parts on hand for what...seven years after a model is made?

I've got several Beretta Jaguars and parts are long gone from Beretta USA so I feel your pain. I don't hold a grudge...I just shift my search to other venues. Brignoli, Brownells, Bobs Gun Parts, Numrich, eBay, forums, etc.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
Comparing the 950BS, 21A, and the little Bauer 25, I think the 950BS is the best choice.

The 21A is a fine shooter. Mine is in 22LR, and it shoots very well. The grip is large enough to get a good grasp on it, but this pistol is large enough that it can easily be replaced with a similar sized gun in a mere effective caliber.

The little Bauer is a micro 25 cal pistol. When wearing thin light suit slacks the little pistol disappears. It's an up close and personal "stick it in his gut and pull the trigger" gun.

The 950BS is small enough to be very concealable, yet large enough to give just enough grip to be able to shoot it a short distances. In a pocket holster it carries very well.

Both the 21A and 950BS have been very reliable shooters as long as I keep them reasonably clean.

Posts: 3537 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
had a 950 for years (until I bought a Seecamp 32)
great little pistol,
not too heavy, easy to hide in a pocket,
accurate for what it was,
loved the tip up barrel feature

Dad's girlfriend had a 21a in 22lr,
I did not like it as much as the 950, no real reason why, I just liked the 950 better

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a handful of little .25's. the Bauer and Browning are jewels. The Berretta 21A is the easiest to shoot.

Now, I really don't want to answer outside your question. But, I would be remiss if I didn't tell you that Seecamp just reintroduced the Seecamp .25. I got one a few months ago. It's just awesome. Not ammo sensitive. Shoots every crap ammo I had laying around. Easy to carry as its DA only. All stainless. Very neat little gun.

Posts: 881 | Location: High desert. Nevada | Registered: April 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 25 year old Beretta 950BS in .25acp. I like it. Small, accurate and very reliable. I've owned a few Beretta 21a in .22LR, using CCI Stinger ammo. I even owned at one time a tiny Beretta 950 in .22short.

That said, I prefer the 950BS SAO smooth trigger pull over the 21a DA/DA with the trigger transfer bar that sometimes comes unhinged from a spring. Chamber cleaning was necessary after 20-25 rounds due to burnt power fouling.

The 950BS has long been discontinued and prices are rising. Seen a few posted for $250-300.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of the 21A, but all mine (3) have been in .22LR. They have good controls and are easy to shoot for a small gun, plus you can carry it C&L or DA/SA.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1857 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 950 has never jammed one single time. I used to have a 21A that also never jammed one single time. These are totally reliable pieces and it blows my mind that Beretta ever stopped production because there still is a constant demand for them.

Posts: 2007 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I had a 950B, sold it to buy a 21A (so I could shoot it more). I regretted it.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Good feedback and pictures of some cool mouse guns! I'm going to go to a semi-local GS Monday to see what they have. They normally have one case, four shelves of nothing but small autos. We'll see what happens.

Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
While doing a little more research I found out tha between the 950 and 21A, Beretta made the model 20. It was the same size as the 950, but was DA/SA. It turned into the 21a (gained in gerth).

No luck today. LGS sold two Beretta 25's this last weekend. Story of my life. I'll be at a GS this weekend, maybe there! There are some on GB as well.

posted Hide Post

I'm a big fan of the Model 21a...I've owned two .22's and a 25.
For a long time, I had identical 22 and 25 Bobcats. I shot the 22 mainly, and carried the 25.
But, I did some side by side tests and didn't see much difference in penetration, and my 22 has been reliable (as was the 25)...eventually, I sold the 25.
The only real advantage to the 25 version is the MecGar magazine, which holds 9rds.

The Bauer, I bought as a "parts gun". It was complete, but had issues. I got it as a project.
Took some effort, but I got it working.
I carry it chamber empty unless I feel the need to load it...I don't trust the safety.

If you've never had a free lunch, you are'nt trying hard enough

Posts: 213 | Location: The North Coast of America, Southern Coast of Lake Erie | Registered: February 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I've still got both my 950/22 short & 21/22LR, I've never had much use for the 25 because like the 32 it's a bit expensive to go plinking with.

I picked up a Ruger LCP 380 about a year after they came out and it replaced the Beretta's. I carried the LCP for a couple years; comparable size and weight but much more powerful. I'm not ready to let the Beretta's go yet tho ... Dad introduced me to shooting with his Beretta 32acp Model 70 in which I eventually inherited. Over the decades I've also added a 92 inox, a Model 70 & 71 in 22LR to plink with I'm not crazy about them but I guess have a soft spot for the design

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I've still got both my 950/22 short & 21/22LR, I've never had much use for the 25 because like the 32 it's a bit expensive to go plinking with.

I picked up a Ruger LCP 380 about a year after they came out and it replaced the Beretta's. I carried the LCP for a couple years; comparable size and weight but much more powerful. I'm not ready to let the Beretta's go yet tho ... Dad introduced me to shooting with his Beretta 32acp Model 70 in which I eventually inherited. Over the decades I've also added a 92 inox, a Model 70 & 71 in 22LR to plink with I'm not crazy about them but I guess have a soft spot for the design.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post