SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Magpul GL Glock MagWell
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Magpul GL Glock MagWell Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
The minimalist magwell is advertised as compatible with all the aftermarket baseplates. I have a few on Glocks, including a G32 I carry quite a bit. I run the Vickers baseplates on all the full and compact mags, except for magpulls. The mags all seat well with the advantage arms mag well. I wouldnt use the mag well if it wasn't compatible.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These magwells are for Gen. 3 & 4 Glocks. Are there problems because folks have the wrong well for their specific Glock model?

https://www.magpul.com/product...nced-magazine-well-1

Posts: 11 | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
The minimalist magwell is advertised as compatible with all the aftermarket baseplates. I have a few on Glocks, including a G32 I carry quite a bit. I run the Vickers baseplates on all the full and compact mags, except for magpulls. The mags all seat well with the advantage arms mag well. I wouldnt use the mag well if it wasn't compatible.

There have been others that have reported no issues with the Vickers bases. But alas for me and my AA magwell, a bit of fitting proved to be a necessity.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:

There have been others that have reported no issues with the Vickers bases. But alas for me and my AA magwell, a bit of fitting proved to be a necessity.

I wonder if the sleeve prevents full seating of the magwell.

What is the mag release you're using?

posted Hide Post
The sleeve was refitted after the magwell was installed. I rechecked the fitting of the AA when the Vickers-based mags would not lock into the gun; it's fitted as tight and far up into the grip that's possible. Once it was put back on the grip the sleeve overlays over the top of the magwell.

As for the mag release; it's an ambi design made by Battlelink Industries known as the M.A.R.S. and exclusively distributed by Rainier Arms...at least according to the guys at RA. I like it enough for my stubby fingers; I can definitely release the mag on the right side using my right index finger without much shifting of my hold. OTOH I have to shift my grip if releasing on the left side using my thumb, regardless of most aftermarket or factory catch.

But this M.A.R.S. could use a bit of reshaping on the bottom of that paddle in the picture. With a high hold to the underside of the trigger guard my middle finger brushes against it. That doesn't inspire confidence that I won't accidentally drop the mag though in truth it's damn hard if not impossible for me to do. I've tried every which way but I've yet to "inadvertently" activate the the release off of a normal purchase on the grip. But it still plays on the psyche each time I incidentally brush against it. Worse for any gun with a high undercut...I'd say it's a definite interfering no-go.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It does have the appearance of an inadvertent release hazard, but it's interesting.

Curious, if interference was the issue betweem the upper surface of the baseplate and the magwell, why not just pull the baseplate and take it down on flat sandpaper? Not that it makes a difference, but that seems the more uniform and easier way. What about slight relief on the bottom of the pistol plastic mag well? Vust curious.

posted Hide Post
Early on I considered just thinning the entire base plate, but it was just easier and less time to slope/bevel the top sides of the bases. With the fit on my gun a considerable amount of material has to be removed. The only space conflicts are along the sides of the magwell funnel; front and rear there's ample clearance. Plus I decided that I wanted to keep the thickness of the plates the same in the areas where it captures the tabs/nubs of the Glock magazine that locks the plate in place.

A few minutes running them on the bench sander for the rough cut down, then more than a few minutes fine tuning them back on the magazine with the Dremel wheel at low speed, a rub down with some oil to make the changes less noticeable...and the Vickers bases no longer have fitting issues. I just wished that I didn't have so many of them to do.

posted Hide Post
Thanks.

Perhaps this was a blem or improperly stamped part, to cause the interference.

Kudos to your dedication.