SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Magpul GL Glock MagWell
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Magpul GL Glock MagWell Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
It naturally funnels the hand up into a high grip.

I had stayed away from add-on mag wells on my Glocks for a long time, but bought the cheap $25 plastic one from Rogers a while back to try out. I was really surprised by how much it improved my grip. I think the mag funneling properties are minimal, but love it for the high grip.

Posts: 5159 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I'm looking forward to this economical magwell.
Getting tired of paying up to 100 bucks for the other players' magwells.

And I agree, the main reason I'm using a magwell on my CCW gun is because it really helps to lock in my grip.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Just saw an email this morning that Gen 3 full size (17/22) mag wells are beginning to ship from magpul and that others are projected for late summer.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11144 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjkroll32:
Just saw an email this morning that Gen 3 full size (17/22) mag wells are beginning to ship from magpul and that others are projected for late summer.

Just ordered one, and a bunch of magpul magazines to take advantage of the free shipping.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
Snagged one and and a few of their Glock mags yesterday. After seeing it at NRA ATL, it was a must-buy. Big Grin

Hopefully they will release the Gen4 magwell soon. All my Glocks are Gen4 save a Gen3 Glock 19.

Posts: 12540 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
Does their Gen 4 mag well allow the use of back straps?

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I finally got the magpul package with stickers, G17 mags, and the G17 Gen 3 mag well.

I wanted to try the mag well on the G34, same frame. No go. It doesn't fit at all.

I have an agency arms low profile on the G34, which nicely covers up the front strap cutout at the base of the grip, fits well all around, and is secure. The agency arms also follows the original contour of the base of the grip, where the magpul does not. The fit on the magpul well is very poor, and it takes excess pressure to bend the mag well enough to fit into the grip to align the screw hole at the back.

I'll try it on a G17 tomorrow, but thus far I'm not impressed. Not remotely close to the agency arms product.

I've never had an issue with any of the magpul products I've used, even going back to their early offerings. This one isn't even a swing and a miss. It's just a miss, by nearly a country mile.

posted Hide Post
Guy on another forum gave a poor review of this, seems magpul dropped the ball on this one.

Posts: 1871 | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have seen them installed,(friend of mine bought one to try) and in my opinion, is not up to the standards for MagPul. They make some great items and I have many, but this is one I will not get. Hopefully MagPul will make one that actually covers up the front of the grip better and not have so much of a gap around the base of the frame.

Posts: 6871 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
well my gen4 magwell came in.
Stuck it on my 35.

It definitely does not work with backstraps.

I took my usual medium beavertail backstrap and cut off the part inside the bottom that connects to the frame and was able to use the magwell to hold it in.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8011 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't even give mine away. It's that bad. Absolute garbage.

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
I finally got the magpul package with stickers, G17 mags, and the G17 Gen 3 mag well.

I wanted to try the mag well on the G34, same frame. No go. It doesn't fit at all.

I have an agency arms low profile on the G34, which nicely covers up the front strap cutout at the base of the grip, fits well all around, and is secure. The agency arms also follows the original contour of the base of the grip, where the magpul does not. The fit on the magpul well is very poor, and it takes excess pressure to bend the mag well enough to fit into the grip to align the screw hole at the back.

I'll try it on a G17 tomorrow, but thus far I'm not impressed. Not remotely close to the agency arms product.

I've never had an issue with any of the magpul products I've used, even going back to their early offerings. This one isn't even a swing and a miss. It's just a miss, by nearly a country mile.

So a $23 product isn’t as good as a $100 product? Shocker

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by

So a $23 product isn’t as good as a $100 product? Shocker

No. A 23.00 product wasnt worth shit. Not worth fifty cents. Didnt fit the pustol at all. Was warped. Had to be held in place with heavy pressure. Had big gaps. Didnt align with the pistol. Was absolutely worthless and unserviceable. And no, not at all comparable to anything that could be called servicesble, because the magpull magwell was absolute junk not worth giving away. Shitshow in a small box.

Maybe just not clear enough the first time, Shocker?

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
The one I got fits perfectly fine and works well at speeding up mag changes. Maybe yours is defective

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah.

Maybe a lot of them were.

Maybe it's worth spending 23 over and over until a good one crops up.

Maybe some simply expect a higher standard, and maybe some arent quite so descriminating.

Maybe cheap tools arent such a value after all.

Maybe magpul wont risk their reputation sending out such crap.

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah.

Maybe some simply expect a higher standard, and maybe some arent quite so descriminating.

You should probably fire off an angry letter to Magpul. “Mr. Pul, I have a bone to pick with you. “ then just shake your fist angrily at the mailbox as you slip the letter in. Razz

Oh and maybe you need some Valium.

addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sg:
In what world do the backstrap plugs crack frames?

Nice to see Magpul put out quality product for a fraction of the other guys.

If you're referring to the grip 'butt' plugs cracking the frame from the lanyard hole down to the edge of frame's magwell edge, it's a known if infrequent issue that's been around for the past two or three years as the popularity of using those plugs has risen. It's been discussed over at GT from time to time, and I believe was brought up here on SF in the past year or so when a member's Glock (19?) developed this very crack. (EDIT: Full disclosure, I have a plug in my EDC Gen4 G23 for the past couple of years and so far no crack has developed.)

As for the Magpul magwell, a coworker attempted to fit one on his Gen4 G17 but the fit was marginal at best and it wasn't compatible with the midsize backstrap that he uses. No, it wasn't worth the $20 or so he paid for it. I was initially interested in the Magpul because of its price but after his experience, I sucked it up and bought an no-backstrap Agency Arms magwell funnel for my G19 MOS.

Of course the AA wasn't perfect either. It created problems with my G19 mags that are wearing TangoDown Vickers mag bases. Some extended time with a Dremel to the tops of the bases fixed the clearance problems, but I admit that I hadn't expected that I would have to fit anyone's mag bases to the gun.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The vickers baseplates work great with the agency arms minimalist Magwell.

The comparable magwell on the market is by zev, and the vickers wont work with that magwell.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
quote:
Yeah.

You should probably fire off an angry letter to Magpul. “Mr. Pul, I have a bone to pick with you. “ then just shake your fist angrily at the mailbox as you slip the letter in. Razz

Oh and maybe you need some Valium.

Why dont you worry about what you need to do, without telling me my business? Maybe stick to hacking up frames with a soldering iron.

Had I felt a need to address the issue with magpul, I would have done so.

Their product is shit. It's not up to me to fix it. It is my choice to buy a better product. Given the number of Glocks in my care, the loss is not mine.

addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
The vickers baseplates work great with the agency arms minimalist Magwell.

Didn't know AA made more than one magwell design. The one I bought looks a lot like the 'Minimalist' that Brownell's lists and sells. This particular one I have won't provide Vickers-shod Glock mags enough clearance to seat and lock into the gun without some modification. I'm not alone; Googling I found that others around the web have reported the same issue.

A Dremel (or a bench sander) taken to the top side edges of the base plates for canting/sloping the surface to lower the edge height of the bases takes care of the fitting problem. Annoyance gone, but still it's was added time I didn't anticipate having to spend to make the magwell work. Part of my situation might be due to tolerances being impacted by the aftermarket mag catch I'm using, but I've read that even folks using the stock mag catch have had the same clearance issue.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post