SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Revolver for CCW
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Revolver for CCW Login/Join 
Picture of bcjwriter
posted
OK...first off this isn't for a deep concealment gun, I have a 642 for that...

I'd like a medium sized revolver for CCW. I can do either a .357 or a .38 (the .357 round is wasted on a short barrel anyways...). Here are my contenders...

Modern S&W 66 2 3/4 inch
Ruger GP100 3"
Kimber K6S 2"
Colt Night Cobra
Colt Cobra

I've tried trigger pulls on all of them. The trigger on the K6S was the best of the group, and the 66 would need a new spring from the get go... My only concern on the Colt's is the different mode of pulling on the cylinder release versus pushing the latch on the S&W's...

What I'm hoping for from the great brain trust is any experience with the above revolvers. Plus in CA these ones are the ones that I can get. I really like the Night Cobra, but don't know too much about them.

Posts: 1957 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
(the .357 round is wasted on a short barrel anyways...)

Sorry if this is a hijack, but hasn't that notion been widely disproven? The extra punch of a magnum load does manifest in higher velocities even out of a 2" barrel. That has definitely been my experience as well without question.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a Ruger LCRX in Federal.327 Federal Magnum.

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I love the K6s. I don’t own one but it’s on my very short list.

That said, have you considered the 3” GP100 in 10mm? I do have one of those and it is outstanding. With some TK Custom moonclips you also have the option of .40 S&W.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’d look at the 3” revolvers, S&W Mod 60 & similar.

Posts: 6130 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of your options, I would go GP 100.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
This. And if you do, that eliminates the short barrel issues for the .357 Magnum.

Would a 3" 686+ be too big? Or a 586 Carry Comp?

quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I have a 4" GP100, a 3" SP101, and a 2.75" Speed 6. The GP100 is a big chunk of iron. The Speed 6 doesn't give up much to the SP101, and holds and extra round. I also prefer the ejector on the Speed 6 to the one on the SP101/GP100. They can be found cheap if you look around.

If you don't mind spending a chunk of change, I'd take a long, hard look at the K6S...especially the 3" DA/SA version. The one's I've handled have been very nice.

Posts: 8415 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
I have the Night Cobra and it is very nice. I really don't have any trouble adjusting from my 642 to the Night Cobra.

I have recently looked at all the revolvers you have mentioned except for the Colt Cobra, since I have the Night Cobra. I think I will be picking up a 66-8 shortly, and yes, the 66-8 will need a spring change or a trip to the Performance Center. I may go the Performance Center route.

Another one you may consider is the Colt King Cobra Carry with the 2" barrel and bobbed hammer.

Posts: 6606 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Are you limiting yourself to new guns? The 2.75” or 3” Ruger Speed Six is a dandy medium frame carry gun.

I don’t like any newly made revolver nearly as much.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

If you are condidering a GP-100 3", I would recommend the Wiley Clapp 10mm model, with a 3.5" bbl. I carry this easily. The recoil is not nearly as punishing as a .357 magnum, yet it delivers the same terminal energy. It uses moonclips for loading. The moonclip is easier to load in the cylinder than a .357/38 special moonclip, because of the shorter cases. But it not nearly as easy as a S&W 625 .45 moonclip, which you can literally throw at the cylinder, due to the short fat rounds.

The Garrett Industries Silent Thunder OWB holster makes a nice carry option for this gun. It is leather lined kydex, and their products a very well made, in TX, and they are nice people to do business with.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
This. And if you do, that eliminates the short barrel issues for the .357 Magnum.

Would a 3" 686+ be too big? Or a 586 Carry Comp?

quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:

Perhaps the Colt King Cobra...I like the size of that pistol.

AS for the GP100 in 10mm I like the idea, but it is not on our state roster allowed for sale (stupid CA) and getting it as an LEO becomes a hassle. So I'm sticking to state legal models...

Posts: 1957 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have both the 2 inch K6s DCR and the 3 inch. They're great guns, I'd go with the 3 inch and get the smaller grips for it. They pack well in a holster made for the Chiappa Rhino, of all things.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On occasion I will carry my S&W 66-3 (2.5) IWB. First off, that gun is accurate as heck and easy to shoot. You will also notice for the size and weight it carries "small". Since all the weight is in the holster it sits snug and doesn't move a round at all.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I occasionally carry my S&W 19-6 2.5”

Posts: 1053 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My dad has an old S&W Victory Model (Model 10 sized) in .38 Special with a 2" barrel. Still shoots like a dream. Serves his purposes just fine.

Posts: 486 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: September 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
The 2.75” or 3” Ruger Speed Six is a dandy medium frame carry gun.

The Six series guns are my favorite 357's. Beefier than a K frame, but more svelte than a GP100 or L frame. The Speed Six is a grail gun for me.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pizza Bob
posted Hide Post
If you are going for a K-frame Smith, I'd look for a 3" barrel variant. That gives you an ejector rod long enough for .357 length cases to completely clear the cylinder.

Here's my 65-5 by Mike LaRocca

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1448 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
The 66-8, 2.75" Combat Magnum has an ejector rod that fully clears cases from the cylinder.

Posts: 6606 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That is my spot.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pizza Bob:
If you are going for a K-frame Smith, I'd look for a 3" barrel variant. That gives you an ejector rod long enough for .357 length cases to completely clear the cylinder.

Here's my 65-5 by Mike LaRocca

Adios,

Pizza Bob

DROOLY. That's tasty, Bob. Better'n pizza.

I occasionally carry my 66-4 2.5" It carries much smaller in a slimmer fit shirt than my (LIGHTER WEIGHT) Glock 17.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

Posts: 2110 | Location: Rural Tallahassee, FL | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post