SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Springfield EMP4 aka Took my Wife to the LGS...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Springfield EMP4 aka Took my Wife to the LGS... Login/Join 
posted
Cliffs: What can you tell me about the EMP line of 9mm pistols?

The story:

Wife and I had the day off today and decided to hit up my favorite LGS (Green Top) before heading to the range. I had a list of things I wanted to look for (20ga shotgun for her, any CZs, etc), got the check out the Hudson H9 (Way too heavy, but it made me interested in the aluminum one coming). No P365s.

We're checking out the used area and she spies a Kimber and asks me about it. I tell her it's a .45, which she didn't want, so I told her they made 9mm variants. We set out to look at them and she fell in love with the Springfield EMP4. She got even more excited when I told her it was a Springfield because her current pistol is an XD.

I love 1911s but have never owned one and never shot a 9mm version so I'm interested to hear more about them.

Side note, I was showing her a mini-14 as an example of why the term 'assault rifle' is so dumb. She picked it up and shouldered it and immediately said, 'Oh, I like this! I want this!'.

Looks like she's building her own collection.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
The guys I know who have those EMPs really dig them.

Kudos on marrying a woman with some sense. Cool

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an EMP 3" 9mm. The gun is accurate with no hang ups after shooting over 500 rounds thru the gun. I changed the grips on this one.

Posts: 361 | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I have an EMP4 and love it. It's designed around the 9mm cartridge, so you don't have any of the problems inherent to trying to run a 9mm in an action designed for a longer cartridge. It's stupid accurate, and after the first 200 or so rounds has been incredibly reliable (and even then, the only issues I had were with handloads...it's been 100% with factory ammo from day one). It's possibly my favorite handgun, and I have thousands of rounds through it. I did a detailed write-up here last year when I bought it, but that may have been purged by now.

Buy it...you won't regret it.

ETA: found it...it's still here. https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...840030024#7840030024

Posts: 8534 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JMag
posted Hide Post
I like them, and will likely buy one soon. Unsure if I like the 3” or 4” best.

JMag
"The truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is." ? Winston Churchill

Posts: 798 | Location: Southeastern U.S. | Registered: March 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like my EMP4. So much so that I kind of want the bobtail version.

Posts: 7446 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I really like my EMP4. So much so that I kind of want the bobtail version.

One of these (EMP4 Concealed Carry Contour, the Bobtail version!) came into the gunshop/range on trade where I work part-time as a RSO a few weeks ago. I was immediately interested in it. After shooting a few mags through it, I promptly put it on layaway! I am looking forward to this being the first 9mm 1911 style pistol in my collection (all my others are mostly .45 ACP with one 10mm). With some intensified practice when I get it out of layaway, I can see this being a nice carry option.

Posts: 375 | Location: The Dark And Bloody Ground | Registered: July 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ive always liked them and for a long long time I really wanted one. I don't have much use for it these days but I do really like them still.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have owned my EMP 9mm since they first became available. They are awesome 1911s, and scary accurate. I think that your wife(and you) are going to be pleased with this purchase.

Posts: 6613 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
The Mini 14 adventure interests me more than the Springfield.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:

Not super interesting. Green Top has racks and racks of long guns that everyone is free to handle (which is AWESOME). We were walking the rows and I spotted the mini-14. I picked it up and showed it to her an explained how it looks like an unassuming non-threatening rifle and yet it was identical to my AR in terms of capabilities. She said she really liked the look of it, shouldered it, said she wanted it and then proceeded to ask me why I didn't build my AR with wood.

She then asked why you can't just custom build rifles however you want like I did with my AR and so I told her if she liked the look of the mini-14, she should like the 10-22 which she could fully customize however she wanted. I showed her a couple that they had but she nitpicked the feature set on the various models. I tried explaining that she could build it however she wanted and we would start with a super cheap basic one. I don't know if it sunk in all the way.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:

Not super interesting. Green Top has racks and racks of long guns that everyone is free to handle (which is AWESOME). We were walking the rows and I spotted the mini-14. I picked it up and showed it to her an explained how it looks like an unassuming non-threatening rifle and yet it was identical to my AR in terms of capabilities. She said she really liked the look of it, shouldered it, said she wanted it and then proceeded to ask me why I didn't build my AR with wood.

She then asked why you can't just custom build rifles however you want like I did with my AR and so I told her if she liked the look of the mini-14, she should like the 10-22 which she could fully customize however she wanted. I showed her a couple that they had but she nitpicked the feature set on the various models. I tried explaining that she could build it however she wanted and we would start with a super cheap basic one. I don't know if it sunk in all the way.

Thanks for expanding on what happened. Over the years, I have owned AR-15's, Ak47's in various calibers, but the Mini 14 platform, even with its flaws is my favorite.

Guess thats why I asked.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
They go great with a cheeseburger and Mojito...

AdobePhotoshopExpress_2016_05_30_16:21:47 by Wayne Wilson, on Flickr

I love my 4” EMP Champion in 9mm. I have smallish hands and the reduced dimensions make it an ideal feel. Great shooter as well, haven’t had any hiccups and a tack driver.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10928 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have read countless folks praise these excellent 9mm 1911's .

I have shot a few and they were accurate and reliable.

I want to buy one....cant imagine you being disappointed.

Posts: 543 | Registered: January 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post