SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    How to ID/mark recoil springs?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to ID/mark recoil springs? Login/Join 
Picture of cne32507
posted
I swap out my P226 20# recoil spring for a 14# spring when I shoot IDPA with softer handloads. These are Woolf springs. I can't tell which is which by just looking a one or the other. Is there an easy way to permanently mark a spring? Nail polish doesn't seem to hold.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Zip-lock sandwich bags and a Sharpie keeps my parts sorted out for me.... Smile

Posts: 18031 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
You could see if the end is a full coil, half coil, or uncoiled.

Notching the end itself would also be a way if the ends are wound the same.

Tags on a keyring works too.

Posts: 9140 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Paint like the manufacturer of factory springs uses to mark them—?
Any store that sells hobby models should have small bottles of almost any color imaginable.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Paint like the manufacturer of factory springs uses to mark them—?
Any store that sells hobby models should have small bottles of almost any color imaginable.

Seems like a good reason to patronize Hobby Lobby.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Testors paint pens work great on metal and plastic stuff. https://www.amazon.com/Testors...testor+paint+markers

Also works great for numbering your magazines.

Posts: 7421 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:
Zip-lock sandwich bags and a Sharpie keeps my parts sorted out for me.... Smile

This is how I do it. Just need to take care not to get them mixed up.

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
I keep the bags they came in and just put them back in.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4580 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
paint. it works for sig so its ok with me. I use ordinary metal spray paint. blast of degreaser, grab a can of rust oleum from the shelf and hit the end. it lasts the life of the spring. I can't see the need for special paint or bags or...

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10994 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bags and/or a paint pen.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post