SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock 43 jaming
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock 43 jaming Login/Join 
posted
Was at the range today and fired a new Glock 43. Have the 2 shot Vickers mag extention. At first i thought i was having the issue with the slide latch. But as I lowered the pistol, the slide closed. This occurred 3 times with the first mag. Twice on the second mag. Ammo was critical defense in both mags. It looked as if the nose of the bullet was hanging on the feed ramp. The slide either went forward on its own with a hesitation or went foward when i touched the slide. Plan to clean and relube the pistol and check first with hardball and then a different defensive round. The slide lock was not up durring the stoppage. Any thoughts appreciated

Posts: 547 | Location: Dothan, Alabama | Registered: August 27, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Does it do it without any mag extension?

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
agree -- early bet says it is related to the mag extensions

-----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, i do plan to reinstall the original mag parts on one mag to cross check.

Posts: 547 | Location: Dothan, Alabama | Registered: August 27, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
critical defense in both mags. It looked as if the nose of the bullet was hanging on the feed ramp.

When the Glock 42 came out, i tried the Critical Defense ammo and the same thing happened to me with the brand new 42. I just stayed away from that ammo after that and never had an issue, but ive always since wondered if it was a break-in issue or if my gun didnt like that ammo with the lil plasticy tip stuff. I traded the gun for a Glock 26 before i ever shot it enough to consider it “broken in” though.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
^^^
Perhaps give standard hollow points a try; there are a ton of good SD rounds that would do fine as carry rounds. Also, did you try fmj fodder? If it feeds cleanly the Critical Defense stuff might be the issue.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15575 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Just a suggestion: run a couple hundred rounds of full metal jacket ammo through it first, (if for no other reason, it's cheaper) assuming there are no issues with that, then try the stuff with funky tips....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1) Use normal mag
2) Break-in with 124gr NATO
3) Carry Federal 124gr HST (standard pressure)

That would be my recipe.

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Critical defense ammo is kinda Meh. Anyway, the critical duty is hotter stuff. But I know that my G43 likes federal HST.

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my 43 does the same thing with Liberty Civil Defense ammo.

Posts: 56 | Location: Alabama | Registered: September 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I'd try OEM mags and some FMJ ammo first.

My G43 HATED ETS mags with any JHP ammo and only feed 'ok' with FMJs. Like Failure to Feed every other round with FMJs and every round with JHPs hated...

I ditched the ETS POS G43 mags and went all OEM mags, some with Pearce or Vickers extensions and it works fine with 124/147 Federal HSTs and any FMJs.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Okay, I have to say something and this is my experience over the last 20 years collecting and shooting semi-auto pistols...

I'm a little confused when I read "My G43 or what ever did not like a certain ammo...." It sure sounds to me like there is a problem with the gun... I own a number of Rugers and Sigs and I can't remember ever having a fail to fire or fail to eject.... excluding 22lr pistols they all will shoot anything I put in them....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
Okay, I have to say something and this is my experience over the last 20 years collecting and shooting semi-auto pistols...

I'm a little confused when I read "My G43 or what ever did not like a certain ammo...." It sure sounds to me like there is a problem with the gun... I own a number of Rugers and Sigs and I can't remember ever having a fail to fire or fail to eject.... excluding 22lr pistols they all will shoot anything I put in them....

Sometimes you get a gun that is just that way. I have put over 6000 rounds through my CZ 75B SA without a single stoppage. Then I tried blazer aluminum and it would stovepipe every other round with it. 5 other 9mm's I have fed/ate/and fired the same ammo fine. I didn't buy anymore than the initial 1000 rounds I bought, went back to brass ammo on the CZ and haven't had a single stoppage since.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:

As a gunsmith, this is a logical troubleshooting step. Bullets have different nose shapes and can be seated to different depths and manufacturers have varying dimensions but all are within a certain range. Some on the high end, and some on the low end of a spec. Then there's standard loads, +P and +P+ ammunition. A gun manufacturer has to make the pistol to handle the stress of different loads and still feed reliably.

A pistol may have beefier slides and heavier recoil springs to handle full power ammunition, but when the owner throws in cheap light loads, it changes the speed at which the slide operates which changes the feeding characteristics which may or may not lead to a jam.

Then there's the tolerance stacking of the parts the pistol was made with, combined with the tolerance stacking of the ammunition from a certain manufacturer and you've got a potential for fat ammunition to feed into a tight space which could jam things up too.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
Lots of good advice already given - continue with a break in using FMJ loads and try conventional JHP loads.

My G43 was finicky in the beginning too. That has fixed itself with usage. Also, mine didn't like it when I tried Pierce +2 mag extensions, probably because the extensions didn't include a longer or stronger spring. I abandoned the Pierce extensions.

I have found that Taran Tactical extensions work perfectly. I use the +1 and +2 (the +2 comes with a longer/stronger spring). They are expensive, but they work well.

I'm currently loading my G43 with 147 gr Gold Dots or HST and functioning has been perfect. Standard pressure 124 gr HSTs and GDs have worked perfectly too. I also tested Underwood 90 gr Extreme Defender, all copper bullet, and it functioned well.

Good luck with your G43. And one other thing - your grip must be solid. The tolerances are tight and the slide must come all the way back in recoil for proper dwell time so that the magazine has time to put the next bullet into position to be picked up by the slide when it returns. This is a possible explanation for the funky nose diving you experienced - but also ties into break in time as the recoil spring sets in and offers less resistance to the slide going all the way back.

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I'm just going to say it, if for no other reason this is a SIG forum. What I've learned here is contrary to an ever going post here, I will never buy a gun that the model number starts with a 'G'. Do the research and I can't for the life of me figure out why people do.

I'm not wanting to be a troll just having to say what I was thinking with this tread.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

posted Hide Post
Last night. Field stripped the 43 and cleaned the barrel and feed ramp with a good cleaner. The wiped the barrel inside and out with breakfree and a light gun oil. Ran a dry patch through the barrel. Washed out frame and put a drop of slip 2000 on the rails, connector and firing pin.
Wipe exterior with Balistol after assembly.
Selected an assortment of different 9mm ammo
At the range this morning.

28 rounds of Aguila fmj 115 gr. No jams.
50 rounds S&B fmj 115 gr. No jams
20 rounds Winchester PDX1 124 GR no jams
25 rounds Hornady CD Lite 100 gr. No jams
13 rounds Hornady CD 115 Gr. No jams
20 rounds Federal Premium Guard Dog 105 gr. No jams
The Guard Dog ammo gave me the best group of any. Directly on point of
Aim and just at 1 inch at 10 yards.
All shooting was done with the 2 shot Vickers extension installed.
My opinion at this point is that the original jams were based on my failure to properly lube the pistol.

posted Hide Post
glad to hear you got it worked out !

------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Ive spent some time on the G forum over the years, and it has a younger, less experienced crowd per capita, I would say. And almost monthly, someone says "my G blaster doesn't work. I replaced the trigger, magazines, extractor, recoil spring, and it jams every other shot".

No shit Shirley (Don't call me Shirley). Put the aftermarket stuff in the rubbish bin, put all the perfection stuff back in, and it will work perfect. So in a sense, diagnosing a Glock is USUALLY pretty easy. Did you lube and clean it? And then, what did you fuck with?

The aftermarket mag extensions may be high quality. They might not be. I know I would sure test them to be sure... with the latest update, looks like he is well on his way to Glock "perfection".

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Has it been cleaned and oiled? Not grease. If grease has been used, or it hasn't been cleaned and oiled. Clean and oil it and leave it a little wet and try that. Sounds like it either doesn't like the bullet type or slide speed is a little slow due to either grease, dirt, or heavy springs. After cleaning it, run some FMJ through it then try the carry ammo again.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post