SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Bought A Beretta 86 Cheetah For Someone Who's Not Mechanically Inclined - What Parts To Replace?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bought A Beretta 86 Cheetah For Someone Who's Not Mechanically Inclined - What Parts To Replace? Login/Join 
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted
Got a Beretta 86 Cheetah for someone who can shoot, but doesn't know much about guns in general and lives in an area where it isn't possible to just go down to the LGS and pick up whatever is needed or get any work done by a knowledgeable gunsmith. I'd like to swap out any parts ahead of time that may be worn to the point of needing replacement soon so the person getting the gun just doesn't need to think about it for a long time into the future.

What specific parts would it be good to replace? Part of the problem is that I don't know much about the pistol myself, so, for example, "springs" doesn't really tell me what I need to know - do I need a firing pin spring, recoil spring, or any other particular spring?

Where would you go shopping for said parts?

While I'm at it, is the rear sight the same for the 86 as it is for the other 80s-series pistols?

Thanks.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
The main thing to replace is the recoil spring (its under the barrel and a bit of a bear to get it). Extractor spring, trigger spring, firing pin and firing pin springs if you want to be thorough. Brownell's has everything you need. Be sure to order a spare roll pin for the front take-down pin as its tiny and most owners lost them years ago. Should be no more than $25-30 in total for all you need. And, yes, same rear sights as normal 81 Cheetah series guns.

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Excellent, thank you! I figured I'd have to take it to a local gunsmith (there's one in town that I have lots of confidence in), but I didn't think I could expect the gunsmith to have the parts on hand and I wasn't sure what to ask for in the first place. Now to see if Brownell's still has its latest sale going.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Over thinking if the gun works as is it might be decades or the first time out something breaks never know for sure, but my 30+ years with guns has shown me most all intact functional high quality guns will go many years without replacing parts or breakage. I have plenty of guns I use frequently that are over 100 years old with all original parts still running just fine.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Fair enough, but there's nothing wrong with taking a used pistol and making sure it's all intact and functional. Given who the pistol is for, I'd like to be as sure as I can be that those many years without a problem are all in the future.

addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
Over thinking if the gun works as is it might be decades or the first time out something breaks never know for sure, but my 30+ years with guns has shown me most all intact functional high quality guns will go many years without replacing parts or breakage. I have plenty of guns I use frequently that are over 100 years old with all original parts still running just fine.

And I've seen guns less than a year old need parts refreshing because their owners shot the living snot out of them. Always it comes down to how hard and often the particular gun is used.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only differences between the .32 and .380 versions were the barrel and magazine. The .32 would likely cause less wear and tear. I wouldn't worry about it unless it is very worn shape. Another source for goodies is Beretta, but they tend to be expensive.

Posts: 17142 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
One part you can take out of play right away is the extractor - it doesn't use one. Razz

I don't really see a need to go in and replace parts "just because." Just taking the slide off an 86 is only recommended for the factory or a qualified (i.e., familiar with the model) gunsmith, IIRC. Even the average otherwise "mechanically inclined" person isn't going to be fooling with it, let alone a non-mechanically-inclined.

I owned one for a time in the 2000s. Beautifully made and fun to shoot gun, but some economic circumstances in 2008 forced me to sell it. I took some comfort in that it sold for $200 more than I paid for it.

Posts: 27947 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fredward:
The only differences between the .32 and .380 versions were the barrel and magazine. /QUOTE]

Half of that is true

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post