SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Shooting my Grandfather's Colt 1903
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting my Grandfather's Colt 1903 Login/Join 
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted
Is there a difference between today's .32 Auto ammunition and the old .32 S&W ammo that the pistol originally used?

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Very little I would think.

Posts: 5616 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
.32S&W? In a semi-auto?

As far as I know, the old Colt should only shoot .32ACP. Assuming I'm right, today's .32ACP is most-likely loaded to a lower pressure than the old stuff, so you should be OK with it, if the pistol is in good condition. I shoot a late-1930's production Walther PPK, use WWB or anything else that's on the shelf, if I'm too lazy to reload.

If you're concerned, get a set of replacement springs from Wolff.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9145 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Just to reiterate: Your Colt 1903 is chambered in .32 ACP (aka .32 Auto), NOT in .32 S&W. Those are two different, incompatible cartridges.

The below photo shows the five most common .32 caliber handgun cartridges. From left to right, they are...
.32 ACP - .32 S&W - .32 S&W Long - .32 H&R Magnum - .327 Federal Magnum

Besides .32 ACP, the others are all revolver cartridges.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
.32S&W? In a semi-auto?

I’m confused too.

The 32 Smith & Wesson round was a rimmed cartridge designed for use in revolvers. According to my Cartridges of the World, the 32 Automatic Colt Pistol (ACP) that Wikipedia says the Colt 1903 was chambered for is a significantly different cartridge. The 32 ACP or 32 Auto is still offered by a number of manufacturers.

Added: RogueJSK beat me to it.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have shot .32 S&W in a Walther PPK! My Dad brought a Walther PPK as a war souvenir from WWII.
As a preteen/earlyteen, I told my Dad I wanted to shoot it. Well, he went down to the local lawnmower, bait & tackle, outboard motor, and gunshop, asked for box of .32's. He got a box of .32 S&W.

We went out to a local range, loaded it up and bang, it fired! It did bind up in the ejection port. Confounded, we cleared it and tried again, same result. We somehow then figured out the reason. I don't remember how we determined the reason, but that ended the shooting session. We may have had a partial box of .32 ACP for comparison.

I now have that PPK, and that box box of .32 S&W. The price tag on that box $3.45 (circa 1966-67).Wink

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1526 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Well, I have egg on my face.

I've shot the 1903 quite a bit and had used both .32 auto and ACP in the past with no problems. I posted the question after finding a VERY old box of .32 S&W and thinking I may have shot that through the pistol as well. What I think happened is that my grandfather may have also owned an early S&W revolver and the ammo came from that.

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post