SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    flat take down lever scuffing frame...what do u do to stop it?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

flat take down lever scuffing frame...what do u do to stop it? Login/Join 
Picture of johnnyringo8769
posted
well i find myself with a like new 1993 year P229 in 40 cal that is almost new...but someone who was not so careful and made a very slight scuff...i am told u can change to the later bump style takedown lever which i was able to find a NOS one...but is there any way to use the factory flat one ...is there a shim or anything anyone made to stop this problem?...any help will so be appreciated...i just got the Pshim for the decocker and want to make this is best possible....thanks in advance God Bless,John

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
1. Jesus Christ
2. Our Military
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

The Republic will cease to exist when the government takes away from those who are willing to work to give to those who are not.
Unknown....

"This is what the Lord says: 'Stand at the crossroads and look; Ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.' " (Jer. 6:16)

Posts: 106 | Location: Jamestown NY 14701 | Registered: December 17, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
John,

One trick back in the old days was to slide a business card between the lever and the frame, I thought I saw a shim being sold here also?

(Shim that I saw was for the decocking lever, nvm.)

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1936 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
I'm not aware of anything you can do to the pistol to prevent this, but you can slide a business card under it before rotating it to keep it from marring the frame.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I push the other side of the take down with my thumb when rotating the lever. It gives just enough to clear the frame.

Posts: 1570 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Dog:
I push the other side of the take down with my thumb when rotating the lever. It gives just enough to clear the frame.

Yup, +1

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7507 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
My 229 .40 has the same issue and looks like crap. What can be done I don't know, but it shoots so well I don't care. Perhaps Bruce Gray has a solution.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A little lube on the slide in the contact area might help as well.

My P229 .40 (purchased new in 1995) has the flat TDL and also has a slight scuff mark. Barely noticeable and has never gotten worse after the initial scuffing. The pistol is 22 years old with over 47,000 round through it. I detail strip and clean after every range session.

Being careful has nothing to do with it. It's just the tolerances of the parts involved. Since the initial scuffing over 20 years ago, I don't take any special precautions since it is not progressive.

Welcome to the forum.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
I used to slide a cleaning patch underneath before rotating, but eventually swapped them all out for the newer style. The newer style is also easier to use.

Posts: 1958 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I use the business card on my JK P226.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:

^ This.
No marks on any of my older SIG frames since I started using this method.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
quote:

^ WINNER....... Big Grin

Posts: 4360 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shoot them work them
Carry them
Until there are multiple scuffs and ignore such cosmetic issues of no consequence.

Posts: 3288 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soflaac:
John,

One trick back in the old days was to slide a business card between the lever and the frame

quote:
Originally posted by Blue Dog: I push the other side of the take down with my thumb when rotating the lever. It gives just enough to clear the frame.

Both have been used by SIG classic P series owners for many years and work exceedingly well. Pick your poison.

I've used both methods for many years; I keep a couple business cards in my gun kit for just this purpose, however I prefer simply using the old MK 1 index finger pressing on the TDL shaft from the right side while simultaneously rotating the lever from the left.

I don't fret carry or use wear on a gun, but I see no need to cause it when it is so simple to prevent or reduce.

johnnyringo8769 welcome to the forum!

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
All of my older P-SIGs were purchased used and thanks to them being put to use as it was designed for, they have and wear the 'swirl'. I didn't realize that it was a 'thing' for the gun to NOT wear that mark.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
This is a WG P226 I took in a trade.

That take down 'mark' isn't normal wear. IMO.
It is what some of us would consider an idiot mark.
Took a CCR refinish to fix it.

Nothing wrong in taking a little pride in keeping one's possessions in good condition.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Originally, the SIG take-down lever was a two-piece part: the shaft had a rivet head, securing it to the flat thumb blade. If the rivet loosened a bit, the scuffling you mention could occur.

Now the take-down lever is a one-piece MIM part – that ends the scuffing problem. SIG put a faux rivet head on the MIM part, to give it that "olde time" look. If you by a new take-down lever, I think that you'd get the MIM part.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8944 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post