SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P6: my first custom project?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P6: my first custom project? Login/Join 
posted
Stable includes a couple 239s (9mm, .40 & .357 barrels), 220, early 1st gen 229 (.40 & .357 barrels), M11-A1.

And here's my P6, which is the first I'm ready to customize:

Yes, I can do my own research, but I'm never above taking a walk down the easy path and asking for help and experience from others! On the wish list:

-Reduce the HEAVY trigger: Need new spring, weight recommendations? Who sells? How close can I get to modern 228 and other Sig triggers? I'm handy, do it myself or have a pro replace?

-Cerakote: All refinishers the same? Something local (AZ) OK? Or send off to somewhere with a reputation?

-Grips: I've done some initial research, can't determine for sure if any G-10 Hogue will fit, which I'd like. Any others recommendations or something for sure will fit?

-Any other component suggestions to finish or replace?

Thanks

---------------------------------
I know my nation best. That's why I despise it the most. And I know and love my own people too, the swine. I'm a patriot. A dangerous man --Edward Abbey

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say "I want to see the manager." - William S. Burroughs

Posts: 108 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Most P6s I have ever seen had pleanty of finish wear. Yours looks to be in fine condition. I dont believe you should be too hasty to paint it up with Cerakote. You really dont see P6s very often in the condition of yours. Maybe send it off to the highly praised Robert Burke for trigger work and I know it will be suggested the throat polish for feeding hollow points. Very nice little piece of history there. Care for it.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Most P6s I have ever seen had pleanty of finish wear. Yours looks to be in fine condition. I dont believe you should be too hasty to paint it up with Cerakote. You really dont see P6s very often in the condition of yours. Maybe send it off to the highly praised Robert Burke for trigger work and I know it will be suggested the throat polish for feeding hollow points. Very nice little piece of history there. Care for it.

Agreed. I wouldn't touch that finish.

Posts: 54 | Registered: February 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nev:
Stable includes a couple 239s (9mm, .40 & .357 barrels), 220, early 1st gen 229 (.40 & .357 barrels), M11-A1.

And here's my P6, which is the first I'm ready to customize:

Yes, I can do my own research, but I'm never above taking a walk down the easy path and asking for help and experience from others! On the wish list:

-Reduce the HEAVY trigger: Need new spring, weight recommendations? Who sells? How close can I get to modern 228 and other Sig triggers? I'm handy, do it myself or have a pro replace?
19-lb main spring from Wolff Springs. https://www.gunsprings.com/SIG...cID1/mID4/dID253#295

-Cerakote: All refinishers the same? Something local (AZ) OK? Or send off to somewhere with a reputation?
Leave it alone. It's not even scuffy or abused.

-Grips: I've done some initial research, can't determine for sure if any G-10 Hogue will fit, which I'd like. Any others recommendations or something for sure will fit?
Hogue G10 for the P225, not P225-A1, will fit. https://www.hogueinc.com/grips...5/extreme-series-g10

-Any other component suggestions to finish or replace?

Thanks

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Respect. Heard. Understood. Will reconsider the finish.

I'm generally reluctant to do stuff like this. But I want to have a custom pistol. Haven't seen anything on P6 values to suggest altering would hurt the value. Not that I'd ever sell. Which I won't.

I was lucky enough to visit and watch Burke fit the .357 barrel for my 229 when I lived in TX. I'd hand it over to him for trigger and internal work no prob.

I know my nation best. That's why I despise it the most. And I know and love my own people too, the swine. I'm a patriot. A dangerous man --Edward Abbey

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say "I want to see the manager." - William S. Burroughs

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
19-lb main spring from Wolff Springs.

Hogue G10 for the P225, not P225-A1, will fit.

Gracias

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
If you really want to go all out and refinish, anyway, your fellow Arizonian billinaz has some info in this thread here, https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/5600053084
https://coatingtechnologiesllc.com/processes/

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
OK, listen up... send it to Gerry Ritacco in Charlotte Courthouse VA. He will perform magic on your P6 with a QTR (the Quick Trigger Reset) and the HTT (High Torque Trigger). Combined they make my Sig P225 trigger BETTER than any Legion (with the SRT trigger) I've fired. In other words, it's one of the best DA/SA triggers in my collection. BTW, Gerry taught Robert Burke when it comes to Sig trigger work.

I recommend Hogue's aluminum grips as they provide more traction versus the plastic factory grips, while retaining its all important feel. Avoid Marschal grips, which look nice on the Internet, but the two I purchased from Hungary didn't come close to fitting and that firm doesn't refund.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ interesting info above on trigger work.
A 225 with a trigger as good as a 226 would be great, but better than any Legion? Eek sign me up!
I always considered the heavy trigger pull to be the downfall of the P6/P225.

I agree with the other members, I wouldn't touch the finish.
If you decide too, CCR would be my first choice.

Hogue G10 piranha grips are great for any Sig pistol.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
^^^^ and the revised trigger doesn't void Sig's warranty; all safety mechanisms are untouched and functional. Cool

I spent a couple hours with Gerry at his home shop where he was incredibly cordial and walked me through his mechanical modifications. An old-school gunsmith, he later modified an after-market rear sight on my Sig P220 SE, the solution to which had previously perplexed other smiths when it came to my request.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
When you have either Gerry or Robert work on your SIG, you can expect your gun will be better than anything that come out of production in NH. Legion is just another production gun. I know for a fact that Robert's best package can equal and even best the German Mastershop guns.

Q

posted Hide Post
subscribed!

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you really want to go all out and refinish, anyway, ...

Appreciate that.

I've never done anything custom to anything in the stable. They're all stock. I'll try the 225 grips to see how they fit. Change the spring to 19lb for sure.

Not that I care or that it matters, changing the finish affect value? I'm keeping it forever so doesn't matter.

Other side for show. Someone one time or another worked with the grip screws.

Yea, I like this. Want to do something special with it. Keep it top of the rotation.

Thanks for all the replies.

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I have a P6 that I've "upgraded" a bit. Yours is nicer than mine...mine's got a bit more holster wear. I'll echo the sentiments of previous posters...I wouldn't refinish that gun...especially not with cerakote. It looks good as it is, you'll destroy any future collector value, and as a function over form guy I like the idea of a mechanically tuned "sleeper" over some flashy painted up showpiece.

My P6 (Born 3/79) got a new P225 barrel to fix the hollowpoint feed issue, a new hammer, firing pin (the old one was too short, causing light-strikes), allen-head grip screws (flat-head screws are a brain-child of satan himself), a factory P225 mainspring, and an SRT kit. I still have all the original parts if I ever want to put them back.

The trigger pull is still pretty heavy, but it's break is crisp, and the short reset is nice. If I were going to spend money to send it out for work, I think an action job from one of the forum-recognized gunsmiths would be all I'd do at this point. If I was going to carry it, I'd probably add some night-sights, too. I like the factory grips, but Hogue makes some really nice and functional options if you're looking for something different.

Here's an older shot of mine (pre-hammer replacement and SRT kit), along with my P229 (old duty gun) and P245 (current carry gun).

Posts: 8414 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trooper Joe:
Here is a slightly modified P-6 with that neat “mystery” hammer. Gun has updated Sig white dot sights and 225 springs. Prior owner refinished it (not sure what it is but it seems real tuff).

The grips are from grips4u out of Illinois.

Bought the gun with three Sig mags and 2 Pro Mags that work surprisingly well. Found three NOS 225 mags at a Police supply shop at a great price (they said they had them for years and did not know what they went to).

Gun has stock 1979 barrel with no modifications and feeds everything perfectly.

Trooper Joe

Posts: 414 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Night Fision front dayglo yellow or orange with tritium, Wilson rear battlesight U notch. Wolff hammer spring.

The hammerspring chamged my gun immensely!!

Posts: 1153 | Location: Decatur, GA | Registered: November 14, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you really want to go all out and refinish, anyway, your fellow Arizonian billinaz has some info in this thread here, https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/5600053084
https://coatingtechnologiesllc.com/processes/

Thanks!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sox:
Night Fision front dayglo yellow or orange with tritium, Wilson rear battlesight U notch. Wolff hammer spring.

The hammerspring chamged my gun immensely!!

Concise! And thanks for the Fision recommendation (didn't know them), and the combo with Wilson. Nice.

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Look into NP3 finish as it looks great and will surely preserve the gun forever.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I hope the OP continues reading his posting.

As far as refinishing goes, you should consider Ion Bond DLC for the metal parts. The Ion Bond can be done in Satin Black, which to me resembles a bead blast blue finish.

It is the only finish I consider doing to my guns, other than CCR's black Cerahide.

The Ion Bond treatment resists holster wear and rust, guns treated with Ion Bond used in Kydex holsters show no wear.

I use Club Custom Guns, Denton,NC as a vendor for sending parts to be treated with Ion Bond.

A dissassembled gun sent in as parts is much cheaper. Bare slide and barrel would run about $195 , small parts are $10 each.

It is worth the money in my opinion.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post