SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    226 Legion SAO For Christmas
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

226 Legion SAO For Christmas Login/Join 
posted
I’m thinking about treating myself to a 226 Legion SAO for Christmas. It will be strictly an outdoor range toy. No CC or HD use.The only negative I’ve ever read about them was that the finish wears pretty easily.
So what does the Sig hive say ? Is the SAO version as good as the YouTube reviews say it is ?
Thanks in advance.

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
I love mine and it just might become my favorite handgun.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just a great pistol with great sights and trigger too. I love mine.

JAMES 3:1
USPSA life member

Posts: 270 | Location: Indian River Shores, Florida | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've only handled a 229 Legion SAO, but the trigger was exceptional.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nick B......I have a P226 SAO and I must say it is the best range gun I have ever had! I used to be a Glock guy and still am in many ways but once you shoot the SAO it will be hard to go back to any other pistol for the range. I feel most of this is due to the trigger. Best trigger ever in a stock pistol! I cannot comment on the finish other to say that mine is flawless. I must also say that I do not carry or holster my SAO. It stays in a soft case till at the range so I may not be the best person to comment on the finish wear!

Posts: 114 | Registered: September 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I have two of them in 9mm and they are the best shooting pistols I have ever owned, bar none. About 4,000 rounds through the first one, and my second one has a Romeo mounted, just a couple hundred rounds through that one thus far. Blackpoint Tactical makes an excellent holster that accommodates the thumb safety as well. I have a little holster wear showing on the sharp corners at the muzzle end and front of the trigger guard of the first one but that is to be expected with thousands of draws.

As an aside, I was so impressed with the P226 Legions that I also bought a P220 SAO Legion in .45 and it lives up to the name as well.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Check out the newer Elite SAO.
SCI G10 grips, Legion style frame and it's Nitron and anodized.
The RX one is still cheaper than a Legion.
Been seeing them on GB along with 229 Elites that look like black Legions.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Yes, but then you don't get to join the Legion... for good or bad, I like their marketing of these.

The SAO Legion in 226 was what I was going to get myself for this Christmas but then a member here was offering his P226 Legion and he s local and I decided to buy his....

One of the reasons the SAO was in my plan was to take it with me for my 5th trip to Front Sight (I've brought a new gun with me the previous 3 times I've gone) but my trip got cancelled this year....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
Best shooting Sig I own. Period. AS to finish wear, I don't see anything of an issue. I carry mine as a duty gun, banging around and exposed to whatever weather it is. It's definitely better than the late 80s/early 90s blue Sig's that would start rusting when the TV weatherman announced rain was coming.

Posts: 819 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think any owner of classic line Sigs should have at least one SAO.

I bought the 220 L SAO last October. Probably have 800+ rounds thru it. Range fun only. The finish has worn to a golden hue on the frame rails (despite grease) and under the left thumb safety, but I’m not bothered.

Slide to frame fit is a tad loose; a slight rattle without a mag inserted. My old 226 (bought new in ‘88) is still snug. Yet the Legion works & shoots great.

I don’t love the grey finish nor the Legion branding, but the other features are worthwhile and I agree with the other statements as to the SAO trigger. I haven’t been tempted to buy a DA/SA Legion. But a black Legion SAO 226 (or the newer Elite at a favorable price) would get my interest.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rebel Without a Clue
Picture of squad13
posted Hide Post
Saw the new Sig promo today:

Posts: 952 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I have a P220 SA/DA and a P229 SAO in 9mm and love both so I would get a P226 SAO in a heartbeat if I had the available funds. You won’t regret it.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shackelford
posted Hide Post
Get it. The feel is great, and the trigger is better. Very accurate. I love mine, and I have a couple X5s. There are some marginal ways in which an X5 is better, but at the price difference (especially nowadays), start with the Legion.

The features on the pistol are great, even though I don’t like the branding. Not a fan of the symbol on the grips, and I blacked out he rear sights. Otherwise, a near perfect pistol for range or for self defense.

I’ve been tempted by the SAO 229 to replace my carry 228.

Posts: 831 | Location: Volunteer | Registered: January 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by powermad:
Check out the newer Elite SAO.
SCI G10 grips, Legion style frame and it's Nitron and anodized.
The RX one is still cheaper than a Legion.
Been seeing them on GB along with 229 Elites that look like black Legions.

Didn’t see it on the Sig website. Got a pic or a link for more info ?

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Not on the Sig website but they are on GB
226 SAO Elite

229 Elite

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Label for the 226, made in 03/2019